[Asking The Natives] London Calling, Calling London

edited October 2006 in Meetups / Conventions
I'm under the impression that there are several people hailing from London around here. I'll be spending about five days in London next week (Sunday 8th evening to Friday 13th late-afternoon) and trying very much to avoid the hotel death -syndrome. So, you native people: do any of the game stores in London carry a selection of indie games? I can get the most of the other stuff locally, but the supply with indie stuff is a bit short at the moment. And I'll need something to read.

Also, if any of you is in need for an excuse to drink a pint or ten, or grap a late evening dinner, I'm free and willing to provide the excuse.

Comments

• Playin' Games just near the British Museum has a good indie game selection, though you need to remember to go downstairs.

The less centrally located Leisure Games also has a good selection.
  • Thanks, Balbinus. I was checking the online shop of Leisure Games, and it looks good, but the shop is pretty far away from where I stay (which would not be a problem if it the shop would be open later). I'll definately check out Playin Games, then - they seem to lack webpages, but I have the address with me.
  • Playin' Game is a good place. You might also want to check out Orc's Nest (their website is here).
  • Merten, it's worth going to Leisure Games if you can: it's only half an hour north of Central London on the Northern Line. It's a very good shop with a load of good stock.

I didn't know about Playin' Games. Huh.

There is also the Orc's Nest, near Tottenham Court Road, but it's very mainstream.

Graham
  • Posted By: Graham WalmsleyMerten, it's worth going to Leisure Games if you can: it's only half an hour north of Central London on the Northern Line. It's a very good shop with a load of good stock.
    I seem to be hanging out near the North Line when I get out from the day activities, so I might just do that.
    I didn't know about Playin' Games. Huh.

There is also the Orc's Nest, near Tottenham Court Road, but it's very mainstream.
    I've been combing out gamestore addresses from various threads on rpg.net and Playin' Games appears to be a well-kept secret. And Orc's Nest is the last resort due to lack of service. Or so says the word out in the streets.
  • edited October 2006
    How about the Lyceum Tavern, which is a lovely pub on the Strand, on Thursday at 6.30pm? And, of course, anyone else that wants to come is welcome.

[Edit: This was actually meant to be whispered. My mistake. But, if you're in London, you're welcome to come.]

Graham
  • Posted By: Graham WalmsleyHow about the Lyceum Tavern, which is a lovely pub on the Strand, on Thursday at 6.30pm? And, of course, anyone else that wants to come is welcome.
    Works for me, so we'll consider it a deal. I'll try to find net access from London and pop in to check if something unexpected comes up.
  • Thanks for the information on game stores- very useful info. Actually, not to distract from the meetup aspect of the thread, but I'd love to hear more about cool things to see and do in the city, if anyone is interested in making suggestions. The wife and I will be coming to London over Christmas (a belated honeymoon), but most of the tourist-oriented resources focus on Summer-time visits. Any advice from locals would be appreciated!
  • Leisure Games, BTW: 100 Ballards Lane, Finchley

Do go, and tell Angus I said hello!
  • Posted By: segedyThanks for the information on game stores- very useful info. Actually, not to distract from the meetup aspect of the thread, but I'd love to hear more about cool things to see and do in the city, if anyone is interested in making suggestions. The wife and I will be coming to London over Christmas (a belated honeymoon), but most of the tourist-oriented resources focus on Summer-time visits. Any advice from locals would be appreciated!
    No problem, I'm planning on doing the same thing at some point, so I'm all up for intresting tips. The last time I was in London, I fell in love with the Imperial War Museum and Royal Air Force Museum, but then again, I'm a geek when it comes to war-museums.
  • edited October 2006
    Posted By: Graham WalmsleyHow about the Lyceum Tavern, which is a lovely pub on the Strand, on Thursday at 6.30pm? And, of course, anyone else that wants to come is welcome.

Graham
    Sounds good to me, and about 5 minutes from where I work.
  • Oh, excellent. I'll bring my copy of Best Friends in case we want to play games.

Slightly lesser known tourist things to do in London: go to Kew Gardens (very beautiful in the winter), walk around Hampstead Heath, go for a meal in Old Compton Street or Soho (but never, never around Leicester Square), get the Metropolitan Line to Amersham and wander around.

Graham
  • Thanks Graham, that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for! We'll be staying in a flat in Maida Vale, and we were hoping to do a good bit of exploring, so this is just the thing.
  • Hey. I was playing Dogs that night but one player's work schedule has killed it (bloody bbc). So I might try to swing by and all. Are we all going to wear carnations?
  • Posted By: Alex FraderaHey. I was playing Dogs that night but one player's work schedule has killed it (bloody bbc).
    Could you please ask him to put something intresting to the telly if he's working late? Would be much appreciated.

Not much indie stuff in Playin' Games or Orc's Nest, or at least I couldn't locate the stuff. Forbidden Planet is a lovely shop, though, as are the large bookstores.
  • Hello chaps

Everyone else has pretty much covered the gaming shop situ, but the meetup sounds good!

One of my regular gaming slot is thursday, but if that doesn't go ahead, then I'll try and make it down too.

I'm always curious to meet other gamers.

Drew
  • This is an unpaid arvertisment: Leisure Games is just as good as I was told. I'll have to eat noodles for the rest of the trip, but at least I have five or six new games.
  • edited October 2006
    Well, Wagamama is just round the corner from the pub so maybe we could go there. Other interesting sights in the area include Treadwells in Tavistock St, an occult bookshop, and the Knights Templar Chapel in the Inns of Court.
  • Hello all.

Regarding this proposed meet up (6:30pm Thursday) can we just confirm that it is going ahead? It looks like I may be able to make it for around 8:00pm but if everyone is going to have disappeared by then there isn't much point in me getting the train in.

So, yeah. Basically are we planning to meet up and chinwag for the evening? Is it worth a home counties chap such as myself making the trek into the Smoke?

Drew
  • I'll be going - again, assuming there will be other people there. I'll whisper you my mobile so if the venue shifts (such as to somewhere food-related) you can get in touch.
  • I'm definately coming at 6.30 pm Thursday. I have Graham's mobile number and he has mine. And I think I even know where the place is.
  • edited October 2006
    Drew, I'll definitely be there. Wagamama's sounds like a good idea too: so it's possible we might be there by eight, depending on what other people want to do.

If someone can get there early and get a booth, that'd be good.

Graham
  • I can probably be early - I just work over the river.
  • Oh, fantastic. You can get the beers in, then. Alex, mine's a pint of Old Brewery. What does everyone else want?

Graham
  • Please don't talk about the fine beers of London, Some of us have to start working now and the phantom taste of best bitter in our memory clouds our abilities.

Cheers All!!
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks Guys.

I now have Alex and Graham's mobile numbers, so I'll call when I arrive in the area to check location.

Which tube station is closest? I'll be coming into Euston on Silverlink mainline (or whatever it is)

Also can someone post an address for the pub / Wagamamas?

Cheers

Drew
  • edited October 2006
    Lyceum Taven: 354 Strand, London, WC2R 0HS
    Wagamamas:1 Tavistock street, covent garden, london, WC2E 7PG

Directions from pub to wagamamas
    http://tinyurl.co.uk/mgsf

Tube: Covent Garden or failing that, Temple appear closest.
  • Yes, like Alex says. Here's more details:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/69/694/Lyceum/Strand

(Ignore the reviews: it's a nice pub).

I'd suggest Charing Cross was a better tube for you: Northern Line down from Euston.

Graham
  • edited October 2006
    Rock!

I can totally get the 19:13 from Kings Langley and be there just before 8pm.

Hopefully see you guys then. (Assuming things work out good my end)
  • Oh, I've been given a link to get 2-for-1 vouchers for wagamamas, by signing up and selecting whether you want email updates (no, thanks). I've signed up and printed one. If we want more, follow the link. Cheap eats!
    http://tinyurl.com/jteu3
  • Thanks for the evening, guys, you pretty much saved me from climbing on the walls of my hotel room. In short, we had a few beers, played a round of Best Friends and went to a dinner. Much discussion was had. The damned British weather gave me a flu afterwards, so heading back to bed, now.
  • Hey Jukka, I had lots of fun too. That bug seems to be swimming around at the moment, I'm afraid. Best Friends was damn cool - shame we didn't get a chance to finish it up!
  • Yes, nice to meet you all. Must write that Best Friends thing up.

Graham
  • You can talk about the beer now!!! ...Please
  • Um... I had cider.

(It was very nice.)