MonkeyCon Zero (a virtual convention and game day for Oct. 22nd)

edited October 2011 in Meetups / Conventions
Earlier this year, some fan of the Monkeys Took My Jetpack actual play podcast suggested that they hold a virtual game convention via Skype. Silly me, I took that rope and ran with it. Using Skype, Con Planner, and way too much coffee, I've tasked myself with herding cats for this event. If you're interested, you can sign up at the Con Planner site. This is a FREE and ticketless event.

MCZ Activity report for the week!

01 Morning - PDQ: Golden Gauntlets and Iron Republics – four seats open
01 Morning - Quantum: Null'ood Queen – one seat open
01 Morning - The Trouble with Rose – four seats open
01 Morning - The Yellow Submarine - full
01 Morning - Dragon Slayers' FIASCO - four seats open

02 Afternoon - Cartoon Action Hour S2: Ark-Masters of Lemuria – full
02 Afternoon - Don't Rest Your Hammer: Lean Times in Bögenhafen – one seat open
02 Afternoon - School spirit Scavenger Hunt - full
02 Afternoon - zorcerer of zo – six seats open

03 Evening - All Stars: It Came From the High School Lunch Room- one seat open
03 Evening - InvaderZ: This Is War! - full
03 Evening - Lady Blackbird: Tales from the Wild Blue Yonder – two seats open
03 Evening - Talislanta : Windship Down - full
03 Evening - The One Ring--Webs of Shadow - full
03 Evening - Hocus Focus FIASCO - four seats open

04 Night - Giant Monster Robots: A Musical Extravaganza--On Ice! - full
04 Night - Leverage: Black Eagle and Associates - full
04 Night - Wild Talents- SuperHero Rpg – one seat open
04 Night - Faery's Tale - four seats open

Game spot lights (games needing players)

01 Morning - PDQ: Golden Gauntlets and Iron Republics – four seats open
- There's something rotten in the state of the Iron Republic, and the gods are unhappy. But why exactly are they? And why don't they just smite the problem as they usually do? Assassins are running through the streets, and you, yes you, might just get caught in the crossfire and pulled into the problem...
- Behold, a fantasy game run in a homebrewed fantasy setting I'm using in some writing projects. We'll be using the core PDQ rules with Zo's Hero Points added in, and I will have pre-gens available. If you want to make your own, that's great! I should have some world details for such folk up on the MTMJ forums before the con.

01 Morning - The Trouble with Rose – four seats open
- TTwR is my (TAZ) Game Chef story telling game where players collaboratively make a play by creating scenes and populating them with PC and NPCs. Players earn points by acting according to their character's natures and the play of dominoes from their hand. With secret agendas and limited resources, players vie to score the most points and gain control of the epilogue where they can seal the Fates of player and NPC alike.
- A normal game of The Trouble with Rose begins with the players doing some world building and character creation. To speed that up for con purposes, I've created several play set for the players to choose from; I've got one for a deep space adventure, a western, a magical court, and one inspired by the game Ghost Echo. And, I'd be glad to write up more if you have any requests.
- Here's the rules and play sets that have already been created. The Trouble with Rose folder on Google Docs

01 Morning - Dragon Slayers' FIASCO - four seats open
- A popular Fiasco playset about greedy adventurers.

02 Afternoon - Zorcerer of Zo – six seats open
- the pain never ends. (Darfo was never that good at marketing.)
- Darfo's the mad-cap GM for the Sunday Skypers when it comes to our Zorcerer game. If you like twisted humor and plots, trivia questions, or a Zo game that likes to jump down the rabbit-hole head first, you should check this out.

03 Evening - Hocus Focus FIASCO - four seats open
- The latest playset from Bully Pulpit, set in the Harry Dresden universe where players are the 'bad guys' with poor impulse control and too much ambition.

04 Night - Faery's Tale - four seats open
- (from a sidebar of the Deluxe edition)
- 'Faery Godmothers'
- Sometimes, when a very special baby is born to humans, the Faery Queen will name a faery godmother--or godfather, though these never seem to get mentioned in faery tales--to watch over the infant and help her as she grows.
- You will play faery godparents to twins (one boy, one girl). Each child can have two godfathers, two godmothers or a mix. Your options are to be a Pixie (with Flying and Pixie Dust gifts), a Sprite (with Animal Friends and Champion gifts), a Brownie (with Household Magic and Invisibility gifts) or a Pooka (with Change Form and Travel Magic gifts).
--
TAZ

Comments

• Hey Todd, the Con Planner site doesn't list what time zone the games are in.
  • edited October 2011
    Huh, I'll get right on that. The default time zone is Central US time (the goal being to have slots for anyone from Europe to the Pacific coast.)

Thanks for the heads up. I believe you can also set a local time for your log-in.
    --
    TAZ

I selected UTC-6 again and hit update. Does that help?
  • Nah, slot times are still the same. Maybe just a note at the top saying, "All times are US Central".
  • Done. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Sweet! I'm looking forward to giving Skype gaming a shot for the first time.
  • Weekly update!

01 Morning - Escape from Midworld - six seats open
    01 Morning - Hocus Focus FIASCO - three seats open
    01 Morning - PDQ: Golden Gauntlets and Iron Republics - four seats open
    01 Morning - Quantum: Null'ood Queen - full
    01 Morning - The Trouble with Rose - three seats open

02 Afternoon - Cartoon Action Hour S2: Ark-Masters of Lemuria - two seats open
    02 Afternoon - Don't Rest Your Hammer: Lean Times in Bögenhafen - one seat open
    02 Afternoon - School spirit Scavenger Hunt - one seat open
    02 Afternoon - zorcerer of zo - three seats open

03 Evening - All Stars: It Came From the High School Lunch Room - two seats open
    03 Evening - Dragon Slayers' FIASCO - four seats open
    03 Evening - Lady Blackbird: Tales from the Wild Blue Yonder - one seat open
    03 Evening - Talislanta : Windship Down - full
    03 Evening - The One Ring--Webs of Shadow - full

04 Night - Faery's Tale - three seats open
    04 Night - Wild Talents- SuperHero Rpg - one seat open
    --
    TAZ
  • Monkey Activity Report (all times are US Central Time)

01 Morning - Sat, Oct 22, 2011 9:00 AM - Sat, Oct 22, 2011 12:00 PM
    02 Afternoon - Sat, Oct 22, 2011 1:00 PM - Sat, Oct 22, 2011 4:00 PM
    03 Evening - Sat, Oct 22, 2011 5:00 PM - Sat, Oct 22, 2011 8:00 PM
    04 Night - Sat, Oct 22, 2011 9:00 PM - Sat, Oct 22, 2011 11:59 PM
    --

01 Morning - Escape from Midworld – five seats open
    01 Morning - Hocus Focus FIASCO – one seat open
    01 Morning - PDQ: Golden Gauntlets and Iron Republics - four seats opens
    01 Morning - Quantum: Null'ood Queen - full
    01 Morning - The Trouble with Rose - three seats open

02 Afternoon - Cartoon Action Hour S2: Ark-Masters of Lemuria – two seats open
    02 Afternoon - Don't Rest Your Hammer: Lean Times in Bögenhafen – one seat open
    02 Afternoon - School spirit Scavenger Hunt – one seat open
    02 Afternoon - zorcerer of zo - two seats open

03 Evening - All Stars: It Came From the High School Lunch Room - One seat open
    03 Evening - Lady Blackbird: Tales from the Wild Blue Yonder - full
    03 Evening - Talislanta: Windship Down - full
    03 Evening - The One Ring--Webs of Shadow – full

04 Night - Faery's Tale – two seats open
    04 Night - Wild Talents- SuperHero Rpg – one seat open
    --

Handy links...

Of course, all the current games and sign up is done for free at the Con Planner site.
    http://www.conplanner.com/MonkeyConZero

Players and GMs should coordinate with each other to make sure they have all the Skype names and other resources. The easiest way to do that is to either post a message on the MTMJ forum. [For those that are privacy minded, a PM will work as well.)
    http://mtmjetpack.forumup.com/index.php?mforum=mtmjetpack

My public Skype name is zircher, just like my forum handle.

And an IRC chat room with be available for those that want to sign in.
    http://www.sorcery.net:9091/?channels=MonkeyCon&uio=d4
    --
    TAZ
  • MCZ starts in about 70 minutes, if you're lost or missing a Skype name, the IRC room is open.
    --
    TAZ
  • MCZ was a freaking huge win for everyone. Four Skype games back to back with a fifth after con game tossed in: The Trouble with Rose - Deep Six, Zorcerer of Zo, Lady Blackbird, Giant Monster Musical Extravaganza on Ice (Wushu), and Fiasco - Hocus Focus. And, there was a least a dozen more games that I didn't get a chance to sit in on. Expect a slew of actual play podcasts to pop up as we cross post and share our awesome gaming day.
    --
    TAZ
  • Sounds like it was a blast! Given that it costs nothing (presumably) to host/promote it, couldn't MonkeyCon be a far more frequent one that most annual cons? Like, say, quarterly?
  • True, true, and now that we're in the post mortem phase, that's one of the questions that have been brought up. MCZ worked great as a kind of end of Con season thing because people got to play with their new toys from Game Chef, Gen Con, or the Ennies. Most folks had burned through their travel money and gaming money and are now saving for the holidays.

Will the same thing work every quarter without burn out? Will the event get less attendance if it is done in the middle of summer before the big cons? It's something that the GM and players will hopefully hash out with me and the other volunteers that made this event happen.

This was called MonkeyCon Zero for a reason, it's a 'test drive' for what we want to do in the future. FYI, most of the discussion is happening on the Monkeys Took My Jetpack forum, if you're interested in following or contributing. :-)
    --
    TAZ