[Fiasco] Free Playset : Roadtrip

edited August 2011 in Story Games

My third attempt at a Fiasco Playset. Enjoy.

JUST 500 MORE MILES AND THEN WE’LL STOP
It was supposed to be a simple trip. A one-way trip. Me and some Friends. A hitch-hiker or two. And a simple delivery.
That’s all.
Just one simple delivery.
What could possibly go wrong?

PDF

Comments

• Looks interesting. I particularly like some of the Needs, but it looks like item four in 5 To Get There is missing an entry.

I'm not sure on how things work with the destination and Location: what do you choose in the set up? I'd probably say choose extra Items or Needs instead of Locations for this style, maybe even have a new category of table to replace Locations in the initial set up. The Location tables don't all seem ideally suited for a choice of destination; I take it the idea is to roll randomly on this table for each scene?
  • Posted By: craggleLooks interesting. I particularly like some of the Needs, but it looks like item four in 5 To Get There is missing an entry.

I'm not sure on how things work with the destination and Location: what do you choose in the set up? I'd probably say choose extra Items or Needs instead of Locations for this style, maybe even have a new category of table to replace Locations in the initial set up. The Location tables don't all seem ideally suited for a choice of destination; I take it the idea is to roll randomly on this table for each scene?
    ah. yes. well. you get to make that one up. er. um. sorry.

and yes. pages 4 and 5 (i think) detail how to use transportation and locations effectively in this environment.
  • 4 …stoned out of our minds… I don’t want to remember anything.
  • edited August 2011
    I think I'd get rid of some of the transportation categories. For example, having to pick any of the economical details won't really change the setup of the story. Same thing with most of the luxury or exotic categories: whether we are driving around in the Audi or BMW or Infiniti, the general make and model of each of these probably doesn't make much difference. (I had to look up what a Zonda is, to me, that isn't much different than a Lamborghini).

Having said that, I like the Peculiar category. As each of those elements can lead to strange, different tangents. Maybe combining some elements of those categories. Otherwise, I think I'd prefer my players to come up with their own ride given the circumstances (but that's just me)

Keeping the Peculiar class, I would suggest some other categories like this:

Quirks:
    1. Only drives in reverse
    2. Engine always shuts down at the wrong time
    3. Radio picks up strange broadcasts
    4. Door, hood, and trunk have a tendency to pop open by themselves
    5. Gaping holes in the floor boards
    6. Unusual smells, smoke, or sounds

Unique selling point:
    1. Insane 2000-watt car audio system
    2. Seats easily convert to vibrating bed
    3. Top of vehicle has "Instant Outdoor Rave" laser light show package installed
    4. "It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."
    5. Push button Nitrous Injector (with two uses left)
    6. Converted to a stretch limo

Previous (or legally current) Owner:
    1. Drug smuggler
    2. Angry relative
    3. A series of mysterious deaths
    4. Forgotten in a barn for many years, but otherwise, like new
    5. Forgotten celebrity way past his/her prime
    6. Stolen

Daily Use
    1. RV
    2. Family Van
    3. Contractor's truck or van
    4. SUV with the "off-road" package
    5. Long-distance tow truck
    6. Luxury or exotic
  • Also, I'd suggest "Fandango" as a good movie night addition.
  • edited August 2011
    Posted By: doho123I think I'd get rid of some of the transportation categories. For example, having to pick any of the economical details won't really change the setup of the story. Same thing with most of the luxury or exotic categories: whether we are driving around in the Audi or BMW or Infiniti, the general make and model of each of these probably doesn't make much difference. (I had to look up what a Zonda is, to me, that isn't much different than a Lamborghini).
    do not let a fast in the furious gear head hear you say that

love the rest of your list. these are great suggestions. did you like the rest of the playset at all?
  • I like the concept of "draw a new location" as you move down the road. Thats very road movie-ish. You probably hqve to play the game a bit different with having a series of short little adventures to move from location to location as opposed to one long escalating adventure.