Eight Things to Buy at Gen Con?

edited July 2011 in Stuff to Watch
Any recommendations? The number of things I am planning for is 8 because if I say it is 10, I will likely get 12. What is new, hot, and likely to be at Gen Con? Extra pluses if it isn't likely to hit the local gamestore soon, as I do like to patronage it and encourage the staff to keep ordering in the good stuff.

Comments

• Burning Wheel gold is launching. That should be pretty awesome.
  • First we require a comprehensive list of everything you own.
  • Microscope! If you're interested in making broad, overarching stories, punctuated by rp. :)
  • I'll see about that list -- I actually do have a spreadsheet.

I own Microscope, but not BW Gold. I'm torn on that one. I still Don't Get It, and have decided that, rather than continue to play at a con once in a blue moon, on the hit the student over the head until she becomes enlighted principle, I should read some version of the rules, any version, including Mouse Guard or Burning Empires, all the way through, making notes as I go. Is BW Gold likely to be a better place to start from than Mouse Guard?
  • Mouse Guard is one of the most accessible RPG texts I've ever read, but I get the impression that it's a different game that's descended from Burning Wheel rather than a BW game proper.

Were I going to Gen Con, Dungeon World would be very high on my list. I'm not sure what else is coming out though.
  • edited July 2011
    Eight generic tickets, for 16 hours of Games on Demand, Lisa!

Dungeon World is indeed going to be a hot property, but will only be at Gen Con in fabulous starter-pack-demo mode. I bet somebody will be glad to show it off in exchange for a generic ticket at Games on Demand!

If Pickets and Blinds is there, take a look at that. If you have not seen A Taste For Murder, I think you'd enjoy it. The Fiasco Companion is pretty hot stuff, too.
  • Jason does have a point. You can get games any time, but the GenCon events are only once a year or maybe once a decade depending on your budget.
    --
    TAZ
  • I have twelve generics, and they don't count towards eight things. Playing is not Shopping. Playing protects me from too much shopping, and yes, definitely the main point of going.

I have A Taste for Murder, which I like very much, and I got the Fiasco Companion, yes. I'll try to get What I Have up once I boot up the computer. (For those of you who heard the saga of the fire in our building, which we were not there for and which did not damage our Stuff, apart from fireman damage mostly limited to the kitchen, we are now back! But it does mean I am still playing catch up.)
  • A (partial) list of what I have:

Dread
    Fiasco
    Fiasco Companion
    Vornheim
    Microscope

Nine Worlds
    Agon
    Apocalypse World
    Artesia
    a|State
    Avenues & Alleyways
    Mire's End
    Best Friends
    Breaking the Ice
    Various BW / BE products, but not BW itself, so I can actually justify Gold edition
    Mouseguard
    Cat
    Classroom Deathmatch
    Panty Explosion -- I heard there's a new edition? Anyone know about that?
    Smallville
    Leverage
    Conspiracy of Shadows, 2nd edition
    Dance and the Dawn (electronic only)
    Diana: Warrior Princess
    Dogs in the Vineyard, 1st and 2nd editions
    Don't Rest Your Head
    Don't Lose Your Mind
    Everway and supplements
    Fates Worse than Death
    Behind the Eyes of Madness
    Dresden Files, both books
    Spirit of the Century
    Full Light, Full Steam
    Ganakagok
    Heart of the Rose
    Hellcats & Hockey Sticks
    Adventures Into Darkness
    Lucha Libre HERO
    House of Horiku
    How We Came to Live Here
    Hero Quest
    Mythic Russia
    Nameless Streets (HQ edition)
    In a Wicked Age
    In Dark Alleys
    Intergalactic Cooking Challenge
    Kayfabe
    Kill Puppies for Satan
    Kult, all three editions I know of
    Legends of Alyria
    Lesser Shade of Evil
    Inklings of Power
    Misery Bubblegum
    My Life with Master
    Mortal Coil, 2nd edition
    Puppetland / Power Kill
    NightLife and most supplements for same
    Nobilis, all 3 editions
    Game of Powers
    Noctum
    Vivisection
    Noumenon
    octaNe
    Against the Reich
    eCollapse
    Grim War
    Kerberos Club, ORE edition
    Progenitor
    Reign
    Reign Enchiridon
    Second Year of Our Reign
    Wild Talents
    Wild Talents Essential Edition
    Monsters and Other Childish Things
    Cirriculum of Conspiracy
    Candlewick Manor
    Bigger Bads
    Road Trip
    Over the Edge, both editions, all four Edgeworks, and all the supplements of which I was aware
    Zantabulous Zorcerer of Zo
    Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies
    Polaris
    Thou Art But a Warrior
    Primetime Adventures, 1st and 2nd editions
    Qin
    Secret Lives of Gingerbread Men
    Shab al-Hiri Roach
    The Roach Returns
    Sign in Stranger
    Shadows of Yesterday, Solar System, The World of Near -- and so so want 1st Quest to get published
    Sorcerer
    Sorcerer & Sword
    Sorcerer's Soul
    Sex & Sorcery
    Dictionary of Mu
    Charnel Gods
    Demon Cops
    A Taste for Murder
    Timestream
    The Princes' Kingdom
    Everything I know of that exists for Unknown Armies
    Unhallowed Metropolis and Unhallowed Necropolis
    Wyrd is Bond
    The Laundry and Black Bag Jobs

Not listed: Such D&D and d20 stuff I have, White Wolf, GURPS, L5R, 7th Sea, Victoriana, Tekumel, Jorune, Gumshoe, and CoC products
    Other things that didn't seem relevant
    Stuff that didn't make it onto the spreadsheet, which is mostly stuff I only have as etext
  • Posted By: Lisa PadolIs BW Gold likely to be a better place to start from than Mouse Guard?
    Probably not. Unless you really hates the mices, get Mouse Guard as your intro to BW.
  • So, we have thus far:

Dungeon World
    Pickets and Blinds
    Possibly Burning Wheel Gold

I'm going to look up the first two online now that I'm settled at the computer.
  • Is the Sorencrane MRCZ bringing copies of Freemarket this year? Because if so, snap that up. It's a year old, but it's still hot, and copies are limited to 1000 forever.
  • You know. my local gaming store actually has a couple of copies of Freemarket.
  • You've got to come by the Hamster Press booth (419) and check out our huge collection of stuffed Dragons. We've got 25 different types.

Chris Engle
  • Chris also has many excellent games, which he is too modest to mention.
  • GenCon is the best place to check out Hamster Press/ Engle Matrix offerings.
  • It's the stuffies that pay the rent but here is a list of what I will have new this time out.

Jump the Shark - a B-Movie script writing gambling game.

5 Cthulhu Madness horror story telling games
    Reanimator
    Apocalypse
    House of Dagon
    Aliens
    Voodoo Beach Party

4 Evil Eye sword and sorcery story telling games
    They came in the night
    Rob Peter to pay Paul - ripping off the church
    There can be only one - wizards duel
    King Maker - save the bewitched king

Thunder Hamsters: Cheese Horders
    Thunder Hamsters: Pillage and Steal

All the games retail for $20 to $25 and come in nice little boxes with map tiles and colorful counters.

Plus I'm doing some serious reworking on my old titles so that they play cleaner. It's been a VERY busy year this year. Participating the the Solo Design contest was very helpful in helping to identify the flaws in my games and lead to the development of the first game I've done a mass printing of in 13 years (Jump the Shark). I may even have my Game Chef entry ready for sale at Gen Con. I think I'll call it "Screwed" - It's about the inner life of a high school student.

See - I'm not modest after all... Just compulsive...

Chris Engle
  • I also recommend focusing your moneys on experiences instead of products, but if you really want to go home with new stuff, my biased recommendations are Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple and Happy Birthday, Robot! :)
  • Look for the KOPLOW GAMES booth; they sell dice.

They have all sorts of cool foreign language dice, including Japanese/Chinese d6es/d10s, as well as other languages like Korean, Hebrew, Sanskrit, etc. Those are cool.

Also Q-Workshop, the crazy Polish company with the crazy intricate dice, have these wonderful d10s with some Haiku from Basho on them. I got a couple of black d10s, some with white writing, a few with yellow, to use as percentile (yellow = tens, white = ones).

-Andy
  • I think you've preordered Stealing Cthulhu, Lisa, but if my memory is failing me, you should probably get that. I think it's your sort of thing.
  • Posted By: Hans c-oIs the Sorencrane MRCZ bringing copies ofFreemarketthis year? Because if so, snap that up. It's a year old, but it's still hot, and copies are limited to 1000 forever.
    MORE LIKE A YEAR YOUNG!

And yes, we'll have it and for the special GenCon convention price (because we hate money).

I'll also have Parsely games and InSpectres and Lacuna Part I. Also: some kind of InSpectres movie preview/behind the scenes on Friday.
  • Lisa, I notice Vornheim on your list, which makes Dungeon World a good recommendation. I know one of the Vornheim playtesters used DW for their ruleset, apparently without problems. Of course I'm completely biased, but I'd be happy to run the game for you at Games on Demand.
  • I know that Dungeon World will only be at Gencon as a red box-style basic set, but does anyone know which booth DW will be available at?
  • Yup. Dungeon World rocked Vornheim. It was full of lots of awesome moments. So I'd second Sage's recommendation.

ara
  • edited July 2011
    Posted By: Chris WiegandI know that Dungeon World will only be at Gencon as a red box-style basic set, but does anyone know which booth DW will be available at?
    IPR

Edited to add: And, just to be clear, it's red-box style in that its an intro, not that it's a boxed set. You'll get a 124 page book and all the playbooks ready to go!
  • Posted By: JohnstonePosted By: Lisa PadolIs BW Gold likely to be a better place to start from than Mouse Guard?
    Probably not. Unless you really hates the mices, get Mouse Guard as your intro to BW.

I'm pretty convinced that Mouse Guard is to Burning Wheel as, maybe, C is to C++... or maybe it's that Burning Wheel Classic is C, and Burning Wheel Gold is C++ and Mouse Guard is Objective C....

Or, for a gaming analogy, if Burning Wheel Classic is "old White Box D&D" then Mouse Guard might be "Mentzer red box D&D" and Burning Wheel Revised might be "AD&D" and BWG "AD&D 2e".

The underlying systems might be kin, but that doesn't make them the same game, so it's in some sense not useful to treat Mouse Guard as the "training wheels" version of Burning Wheel.

If you learn and play Mouse Guard, will it help you learn and play Burning Wheel? Yes, it might; in the same way that playing ol' Red Box D&D might help you learn and play AD&D. But you might have to systematically unlearn stuff, too.

From all the info I've heard about BWG, the latest revision of the game is very much in the spirit of "let's take what we learned in writing Burning Empires and Mouse Guard and the years of playtesting we've done on BW to re-write it and make it better written and a better game with smoother corners".

I suspect the best way to learn Burning Wheel is probably still to play in several con games, and follow the recommendations in the rule book and Adventure Burner book about how to slowly, incrementally introduce the rules.

For my Mouse Guard group, I talked explicitly about "pretend this is a board game, like Monopoly" and about how MG had its own internal economy... getting the way he BW and MG economies work in play is pretty key.

Of course, even if you do get the economy that doesn't mean the game will be fun for you. Lots of people can understand the fundamental mechanisms in "Advanced Squad Leader" (or "Sorcerer"), but may not enjoy playing those games much (raises hand in air).
  • edited July 2011
    Posted By: sagePosted By: Chris WiegandI know that Dungeon World will only be at Gencon as a red box-style basic set, but does anyone know which booth DW will be available at?
    IPR

Edited to add: And, just to be clear, it's red-box style in that its an intro, not that it's a boxed set. You'll get a 124 page book and all the playbooks ready to go!

Will this version only be available at gencon? I'm super-interested in DW once it's a finished product, but haven't been following it as a playtest.
    Posted By: Lisa PadolYou know. my local gaming store actually has a couple of copies of Freemarket.
    Best FLGS ever? I think so.
  • Hans, we're debating our options. Original plan was GenCon and PAX only, but demand seems high. We'll make sure people know if we make it available online.
  • edited July 2011
    Posted By: GrahamI think you've preordered Stealing Cthulhu, Lisa, but if my memory is failing me, you should probably get that. I think it's your sort of thing.
    I didn't get around to preordering, but yes, it is totally my thing. I did get the pdf of The Rending Box.
  • So I need to check out Matrix and Kaplow, play some Happy Birthday Robot and Do, which I have somehow not managed to do thus far, and steal me some Cthulhu.
    I'll ponder the whole Burning Enlightenment question later (read vs play), as I want to hear about the shiny new hotnesses I'm going to have to choose between. And BW Gold looks so shiny!

Am I the only one finding I really need to do this pre-convention research?
  • You are not the only one!

This thread has helped me focus on what I want to buy this Gen Con. My top contenders are:

- Burning Wheel Gold
    - Dungeon World
    - Fiasco Companion
    - Pickets and Blinds
    - Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple
    - Stealing Cthulhu
    - Parsely games I don't own
    - Technoir if it is at Gen Con
    - Various Trail of Cthulhu scenarios

Now the only question is money and how much I can carry! Unfortunately I'm bringing a heavy second suit case just for the Iron GM tournament so space will be limited. Depending on price, I might consider fedexing anything over capacity!

Todd Love has convinced me to check out Chris Engle's Hamster Press handmade games! I didn't know anything about them but his wild stories of Chris' passion and DIY craftsmanship have excited me!
  • There's a UPS station right outside the exhibit hall that was quite helpful last year!
  • Thanks Lisa! And I hope I see you at Gen Con. Rock, John
  • If I wanted to buy:

Sea Dracula
    Tales of the Fisherman's Wife
    On the Ecology of the Mud Dragon
    Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple

Would I be able to locate them at GenCon? If so... where/when?

Thanks to any who can answer.
  • edited July 2011
    Posted By: sageLisa, I notice Vornheim on your list, which makes Dungeon World a good recommendation. I know one of the Vornheim playtesters used DW for their ruleset, apparently without problems. Of course I'm completely biased, but I'd be happy to run the game for you at Games on Demand.
    Also completely biased: I too was a Vornheim playtester, and will be at the Old-School Renaissance Group booth (#1541) with pre-press copies of the Adventurer Conqueror King system: this would have been awesome at answering questions that came up in play using OD&D like "where can we sell all the books we looted from this library at the best profit?" and "if we want to take this place over and run it as a fortified townhouse, how much will it cost for upkeep and where will we hire retainers and guards?" and "what level will the local powers who are disturbed to have us as neighbors be, and how many assassins can they afford?"

Picking up one of these will make you a backer of the crowd-funding for the game's subsequent fully illustrated printing, and being a backer gives you a seat in an open-table demo of the game we're running nonstop from Thursday to Sunday. Thus do I reconcile the desire to Shop with the desire to Experience: by trying to sell you both.