I want to run a Western game that takes it's inspiration from Deadwood
, Open Range
, Elmore Leonard's Last Stand at Sabre River
, and Robert Parker's Appaloosa
What this specifically means to me:
- shades of gray morality, PCs are flawed
- getting shot is lethal. Folks die, you could be one of them...which leads to
- a decent incentive to avoid rootin' tootin' gunplay both in the fiction and mechanically
- but recognizes that shootin' dudes can be fun, and will likely occur so lets make sure it's not a drag, just that it comes with consequences.
- a nice web of relationships
- and some flags, beliefs, aspects, whatever you want to call 'em.
I like Dust Devils
, but it is a little too lite for what I have in mind. I have a hard time seeing it support a ~8 session game.
Maybe a WestNoir kind of take on Technoir, maybe...
I've seen Sean Nittner's Deadwood Apocalypse hack and while I am loving getting to know AW
, I can't quite put my finger on why this isn't what I want either.
One option I'm considering is taking Boot Hill
3rd and bolting on bits from other games.
So, any ideas?