Vanilla chokes on HR

edited September 2006 in The Sandbox
See here is a horizontal row:

The code for which is <hr /> (because I'm weird like that)

So that's neat and all.

Comments

• But later posts start to get extra hr's thrown in.
  • I think it had to do with a blockquote and an hr in conjunction.
  • Posted By: Joshua BishopRobyI think it had to do with a blockquote and an hr in conjunction.
    Think so, huh?
  • I noticed something similar in the Lines from Songs thread. Someone used italics, and every post after that, including peoples names, were italicized.
  • Does it come from using <hr> by itself without a closing tag?

This was standard in earlier HTML, but not in XHTML.
  • Well, when I first noticed the problem it was a XHTML singleton <hr />. Attempting to close the <hr /> made it worse.
  • Posted By: jhkimDoes it come from using by itself without a closing tag?

This was standard in earlier HTML, but not in XHTML.
    Maybe if I blockquote your hr, though...
  • I think it's the Markdown extension. HTML seems to work right on, it's just the Markdown equivalents that bugger up posts.

And yeah, unclosed marks will create forum funkiness as well. That's why I have an elite team of Cylon agents with Edit capabilities to fix posts and the like. I'm hoping that there will be an extension to close tags soon.

-Andy
  • Posted By: Judson Lester
    Maybe if I blockquote your hr, though...
    Did that do it?
  • You have to close HR tags now?
  • Yes, didn't you get the special memo that the W3C sent out? Unclosed

tags will result in the Standards Gestapo seizing your server and confining you to the use of EBCDIC.

Seriously, there's a move to a new standard for web coding called XHTML, which is HTML as an XML flavor. XML has rigorous criteria of validity, so HTML isn't kosher by default, and the unclosed tags (

<

p>,

, etc.) are one of the most glaring issues. XML does allow for singleton tags, so

becomes

(which is the equivalent of

). But close the

after your list items, and the

<

p>'s around your paras. That and quote all your attribute values, and you're almost to full XHTML compliance!

That and about $8 will buy you a cup of Starbucks.