Cel*Style Wave 2: Tulip Academy, G X B and Panty Explosion perfect for pre-order!

Hi guys! This month I'm really excited to be adding 3 brand new games to the Cel*Style label!

The Tulip Academy's Society for Dangerous Gentlemen lets you join the most handsome young men in the world on their ridiculously daring adventures! It's a cross between Ouron High School Host Club and Cassanova, with mechanics centered around the three pillars of a classical education: Art, Science and fencing! This is by nick Smith (who also co-wrote Sea Dracula), with full color art by Kayla Mayer!

G X B (Girl X Boy) is a shoujo dating game designed with brand new players in mind! It's cute, fun and made to play in just 2-4 hours using simple card mechanics, pre-made characters and a rotating narrator role. Heather Aplington supplied all the art, including the 3 pages of instructional manga that help you learn how to play the game!

Panty Explosion Perfect is a complete brand new edition of the original psychic schoolgirl game, rebuilt from the ground op to be 100% better than the original. It's full color and packed full of instructional illustrations and manga. Panty Explosion Perfect is totally awesome and you're going to love it, especially if you liked the original game!

All three books are available for pre-order now at the Cel*Style store and will be shipping after the first of May. Pre-order each book individually, or save $7 and get all three as part of the Cel*Style pre-order bundle

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Art!

Tulip Academy:

Panty Explosion Perfect:

G X B
  • Oh, Cel*Style will be at Sakuracon this month (April 22-24th) running and selling all three of these games plus Anima Prime, Maid, Cannibal Contagion and Classroom Deathmatch. Find Nick or I in the dealers hall or the game room and get us to run something for you! Or snag us after the hall closes so we can go get some Chinese food or something.

Jake
  • Cool stuff! Really dug the preview of the new Panty Explosion you were passing out when you came to Chibi Chibi con. Glad to hear more about it now!

I'm curious, in the descritption for The Tulip Academy's Society for Dangerous Gentlemen, you mention Casanova. Do you mean the historical figure, or the (awesome) Matt Fraction comic?
  • Hi Noah.The awesome Matt Fraction comic is what I'm referring to.
  • That's EXCEEDINGLY interesting to me. I'll definitely check this out.
  • Posted By: Captain TharkThat's EXCEEDINGLY interesting to me. I'll definitely check this out.
    Noah, let me clarify. Tulip Academy is like Casanova in that it's full of (if you desire) sexy romance, weird science, exotic action, and coolly handsome young men that everyone has the hots for. It doesn't specifically have the brother on sister incest, alternate timelines, S.H.I.E.L.D. clones, sex robots or internal monologues that make Casanova so snappy, but it totally could if you wanted it to!
  • Oh, I am so looking forward to this! Too bad I no longer have my gig at Suncoast, which would allow me to go to Sakuracon as part of work-related promotional activities...

I will preorder!!
  • Whoa, i've heard of the other two, obviously, but GXB is just now on the radar.
    That looks way fun!
  • Do PDFs come with these games? I'm waffling - I want these, but PDFs would make the decision definite.
  • Nice, been looking forward to checking out the new edition of PE.

(and it looks like being psychic is not Hiromi's only secret?)
  • Posted By: Mark CauseyDo PDFs come with these games? I'm waffling - I want these, but PDFs would make the decision definite.
    No PDFs. Sorry Mark.Some of the Cel*Style games are available as PDFs(like Maid, Cannibal Contagion and Classroom Deathmatch), but we've decided to keep these in book for only.
  • edited April 2011
    Posted By: Joe McGuffinNice, been looking forward to checking out the new edition of PE.

(and it looks like being psychic is not Hiromi's only secret?)
    It's not a huge secret. after all, the game does have certain restrictions:

• The books look awesome. I’m excited to see them.

Well done man
  • Here's some of the instructional manga from Panty Explosion Perfect. The goal here is to provide people like me who hate reading rule books an easier way to approach the game text. If you're interested I wrote a bit about Using art to explain game mechanics and Using manga in games..

• edited April 2011
    For me this was pretty much my dream character sheet. I'm not a character sheet guy either. I'm not good at designing them and i'm always the guy that shows up without his. So I wanted to make a character sheet that was really cool looking but was also useful:

It’s postcard size, and the back has a little rules summary. As you can see, the front iS full of helpful stuff, including:

- Your Student’s name goes in the word balloon. Which I think is really cool!

- Mark your Student’s Popularity by checking a box. All three Popularity ranks (and their rules) are listed here, both because your Popularity will sometimes change during a session and because it’s just good to know what everyone has to roll.

- Write down the names of Your Best Friend and Rival. There’s a description of what their job is, which is handy since you’re also someones Best Friend and Rival!

- Write down both of your Details. In case you’ve forgotten, the Student Record is ready to remind you that Details let you add +1 to your rolls during Challenges.

- There’s plenty of space to add your Goal as well.

- And finally, a check box for when you decide to reveal your psychic powers. Until that time the box will stay checked “No”.

There's a few versions of the cards. The one above is the generic student, and there's a blank version as well. There's also a pack of four pre-made characters (like Hiromi from a few posts up) that I've been handing out at conventions.
  • great stuff! I'm sad I cant make it to sakura con with you guys. next year!
  • this is hot shit.
  • And here's the instructional manga that Heather drew for G X B. It's pretty damn cute!

• Oh, for those of you who didn't see the post on Atarashigames.com, we're giving away most of the original art from Panty Explosion Perfect to people who pre-order the book. Right now we have about 20 pieces left to give away. Details here.
  • This is pretty freakin' awesome, Jake. Well done!
  • edited April 2011
    More stuff! I've posted over 50 new avatars / user pics featuring art from both G X B and Panty Explosion over at atarashigames.com. Good fro Facebook, twitter, forums or whatever. Here's a few, but make sure to check out the rest!
    image image image image
  • Will there be more than one panty explosion character sheet (he asked, hopefully)?
  • Posted By: jackson teguWill there be more than one panty explosion character sheet (he asked, hopefully)?
    Yes. Theres a blank version and than 5 different versions with different girls. I'll be posting the sheets sometime before the 1st. I'm still working out some of the layout for the flip side.
  • Sweet x2!!!
  • Rad to the max. I want to play psychic K-On!
  • you should talk some game store into having some sort of release party.
  • edited April 2011
    Or anime store (if they still exist).
  • Posted By: TylerTyou should talk some game store into having some sort of release party.
    Working on it.
  • edited April 2011
    I hear this a lot: “Gee Jake, Panty Explosion sounds really neat and I really like the mechanics but I can’t get any of my friends to try it and Japanese school girls are weird and really I’d rather play Fill in the blank“.

I get that. Not everyone is cool enough to play a stressed out 15 year old high school girl who shoots lightening out of her mouth every time she see’s the ghost of her dead dog. Fine. Let’s try this instead:

• Neat, but the pretty rules explanation says Average Popularity needs a 5 or 6, and the pretty character sheet says 4, 5 or 6. Shouldn't they agree with each other?
  • Posted By: CarlNeat, but the pretty rules explanation says Average Popularity needs a 5 or 6, and the pretty character sheet says 4, 5 or 6. Shouldn't they agree with each other?
    They should. The character sheet is right and the manga is wrong. Thankfully we caught that in time before we sent the book to print (although the shortrun we did for Sakuracon will carry the error. Bummer).
  • edited April 2011
    Heads up. Pre-orders for Panty Explosion Perfect have been going great, but... I'm down to the last 4 pieces of original art, so if you want one I'd suggest ordering very soon! Details here!
  • I hear this a lot: “Gee Jake, Panty Explosion sounds really neat and I really like the mechanics but I can’t get any of my friends to try it and Japanese school girls are weird and really I’d rather play Fill in the blank“.

I get that. Not everyone is cool enough to play a teenage girl with a demon possessed detachable flying head that chases her friends around and whips them with her pig-tails. Fine. Let’s try this instead:

• Update: We're out of art. Holy crap, that went fast! So instead I'll be doing custom sketches for all PPanty Explosion perfect pre-orders until the end of this month. Just mention what kind of sketch you want when you make your order. Something like "A school girl taking a demon dog for a walk" or " That one psychic girl with the detachable head trying to keep her head from flying away" or "A Tengu playing Pokemon. Or whatever.
  • tengu i choose you!

tengu used panty explosion!

it's super effective!
  • I love these "Let's use Panty Explosion to play..." pages. Are these from the book (and are there more?) or is this something you're just doing to promote the release of the game?
  • Something extra. I did a lot of these after I finished the main art for the book back in September. I'll be posting more every few days.
  • There's even more?

I mean, in life besides japanese schoolgirl fiction, x-men and star wars?
  • Posted By: jackson teguThere's evenmore?

Well, one of my students asked me if he could use Panty Explosion to play Warhammer 40K. So yes, there's more.
  • Pre-ordering this as soon as I get paid! Looks fantastic. Can't wait.
  • Posted By: jake richmondSomething extra. I did a lot of these after I finished the main art for the book back in September. I'll be posting more every few days.
    Cool. If you haven't done one already, I think it would be in your interests to make one for Harry Potter, which seems like it would be ridiculously easy based on the two I've seen so far. Also, you should definitely have some of these printed up and present at your booth at Sakuracon.
  • Posted By: jake richmondPosted By: jackson teguThere's evenmore?

Well, one of my students asked me if he could use Panty Explosion to play Warhammer 40K. So yes, there's more.

I am laughing so hard at this because I know you can make it work.
  • So, being greedy....

Does the custom sketch offer cover folks that go hog-wild and pick up the Cel*Style pre-order bundle, or is it Panty Explosion Perfect only?
  • Posted By: jake richmondPosted By: jackson teguThere's evenmore?

That makes me giddy like a schoolgirl.
  • Posted By: amnesiackPosted By: jake richmondSomething extra. I did a lot of these after I finished the main art for the book back in September. I'll be posting more every few days.
    Cool. If you haven't done one already, I think it would be in your interests to make one for Harry Potter, which seems like it would be ridiculously easy based on the two I've seen so far. Also, you should definitely have some of these printed up and present at your booth at Sakuracon.

The Harry Potter one was actually the first one I drew, but I've been saving it since the illustration uses the same girl as the Star Wars one. I'll post a few other ones first.
  • Posted By: jake richmond
    Dude, hearing about that today at Stumptown drove my friend and I into fifteen minutes of total geekery, thinking about the possibilities. Sorry I couldn't come back to your table and spend some cash...I had certain priorities to purchase. But I spoke with some of the guys at Rainy Day Games, and I may order a couple extra copies of the new Panty Explosion when it comes out, so I can send it to my friend and his buddies up in Kent, and eventually when I visit him, we'll give the Warhammer: 40 Panties a try! ;)
  • Jake we gotta do WH40K Panty Explosion.
  • Wait.

The game is called Tulip Academy and fencing is a good third of the game, and it's boys-love, and you DIDN'T mention Utena as an influence?

0_0
  • Posted By: Elliott BelserWait.

The game is called Tulip Academy and fencing is a good third of the game, and it's boys-love, and you DIDN'T mention Utena as an influence?

0_0
    I didn't becasue I don't think Nick ever saw Utena. I mean, I did, but i didn't write the game.
  • Posted By: hanselJake we gotta do WH40K Panty Explosion.

Yes. As soon as i get back from Sakuracon.

Posted By: stupidgremlinPosted By: jake richmond
    Dude, hearing about that today at Stumptown drove my friend and I into fifteen minutes of total geekery, thinking about the possibilities. Sorry I couldn't come back to your table and spend some cash...I had certain priorities to purchase. But I spoke with some of the guys at Rainy Day Games, and I may order a couple extra copies of the new Panty Explosion when it comes out, so I can send it to my friend and his buddies up in Kent, and eventually when I visit him, we'll give theWarhammer: 40 Pantiesa try! ;)

Awesome. In the grim darkness of the 40th millinium there is only war... and explosions.... and panties.