Fukushima Fifty

edited March 2011 in Story Games
So I was reading this story.

http://www.canada.com/news/Fukushima+Fifty+whose+bravery+hope+rests/4451224/story.html

and was immediately reminded of a lot of the literature that inspires my gaming. Lord of the Rings, Strikeforce Morituri, and many old war movies.

Is it in bad taste to think of gaming based on this situation? Can it be done respectfully to the real life people?

If so how do you play something like that?

Comments

• Maybe look to the Liquidators instead.
  • Posted By: Vernon R
    Is it in bad taste to think of gaming based on this situation? Can it be done respectfully to the real life people?

If so how do you play something like that?
    If you make the game celebratory of their genuinely heroic efforts, then I don't see a problem. If you sell such a game for money, then you'd do well to donate a share of the profits to a disaster-relief charity of an appropriate sort.

Game design wise, you'd have some interesting challenges to overcome. But it could probably be done.
  • edited March 2011
    Hm... just to add color to the whole thing... it was a Reactor No. 4 in Cernobyl also.
    So you can call the game "Reactor 4", and extend it to general "nuclear disaster".
    By the way... in Chinese language (mandarin), the number 4 is a badluck number, cause it has a pronunciation that is very close to the word they use for "death" (or so I have been told by some chinese people).
    Which add a lot of possibilities to speculative fiction and thus to RPG.
  • edited March 2011
    That's heavy stuff.

I'd totally play Reactor 4.

How would I do it? I think I'd take a que from While The World Ends and Montsegur 1244. Both games (potentially) end in a catastrophe, but they're really more about the people involved than the event itself.
  • Posted By: DeBracyThat's heavy stuff.

I'd totally play Reactor 4.

How would I do it? I think I'd take a que from While The World Ends and Montsegur 1244. Both games (potentially) ends in a catastrophe, but they're really more about the people involved than the event itself.
    What about taking cues from a game like a 3:16, with it's flashback mechanic. The disaster situation could be used as vehicle for providing flashback opportunities, and letting players delve into who these characters are when they aren't trying to save lives.
  • Posted By: veritascitorThe disaster situation could be used as vehicle for providing flashback opportunities, and letting players delve into who these characters are when they aren't trying to save lives.
    ...and why they choose to risk their lives at this sort of job. And what will be lost if they fail. And why the disaster happened in the first place. A flashback mechanic would serve such a game very well.
  • Posted By: Mr. TeapotPosted By: veritascitorThe disaster situation could be used as vehicle for providing flashback opportunities, and letting players delve into who these characters are when they aren't trying to save lives.
    ...and why they choose to risk their lives at this sort of job. And what will be lost if they fail. And why the disaster happened in the first place. A flashback mechanic would serve such a game very well.

That's pretty much what I was going for. You put it much better than I did.
  • Yeah I think the flashback idea works well, I had considered something like it to be a necessity for just the reasons you guys said we need to know why these people are willing to sacrifice. I guess the biggest problem is providing structure, a sequence of events that could be interesting and meaningful and not end up just being the same thing over and over again.

I like that link to the liquidators as well. Nice bits of info about what happened to the people who were there.