One Cool Thing I Ate At...

This is the thread to share your favorite restaurants and eateries when you go to a convention. Above, veggie burritos the size of my face at Tito's Burritos from Dreamation 2011. (Jenn approves.)

Comments

• No beans!

Who makes a veggie burrito without beans!

A vegan's got to fart, you know?
  • Terry was also raging about her veggie burrito without beans!?!

We ate at a few good places...

- Raul's Empanadas Town
    - Cha Cha Cha Cuban Bistro
    - Cosi Sandwich Bar (not awesome, but great for the price and speed)

I even thought Morristown Diner was tolerable.
  • I ordered and ate two cool things at Dreamation:

1. Pig Intestine with Pickled Vegetables at Mr. Lin's.
    2. Chicharron at the empanadas place near the Dunkin Donuts.
  • edited March 2011
    Galapagos, 98 Speedwell, kitty corner to the Hyatt in Morristown for Dreamation, is really wonderful. Huge portions. Service is a little slow. Delicious batidos. I had a crazy rice plate with pork, chicken and shrimp mixed in this year and it was enough food for two easily.

I tried Ara's pig intestine and he isn't kidding - Mr. Lin is Taiwanese and if you express interest in Taiwanese cuisine he will hook you up.

Jeni's in Columbus, for Origins, is super tasty. There's a Polish shop in the North market, Hubert's, that's bonafide.

Bring your own food to Gen Con.
  • Dreamation? Daniel, I thought you were at GenCon ;)
  • Tito's was impressively delicious, but the winner were the kofteh at Pamir, the Afghani restaurant (and one of at least three Persian restaurants in the immediate area!). Erica Henderson and I both got them, and when we ordered them, the waitress asked us both which rice we wanted: the orange peel and raisins, or the cardamom and pistacchios. We looked at each other all excited and sort of stammered for a bit. I said, "Whichever one you get, I'll get the other!"

They were both delicious.

A note: when I went to Pamir last year, they'd just opened and were badly disorganized. They've really gotten their shit together.

• Posted By: Jason MorningstarGalapagos, 98 Speedwell, kitty corner to the Hyatt in Morristown for Dreamation, is really wonderful. Huge portions and delicious, if a little slow, service. Delicious batidos. I had a crazy rice plate with pork, chicken and shrimp mixed in this year and it was enough food for two easily.

I tried Ara's pig intestine and he isn't kidding - Mr. Lin is Taiwanese and if you express interest in Taiwanese cuisine he will hook you up.

Jeni'sin Columbus, for Origins, is super tasty. There's a Polish shop in the North market,Hubert's, that's bonafide.

Bring your own food to Gen Con.
    The North Market in general makes eating at Origins a very tolerable experience. I am partial to the Mediterranean place, and I always get bubble tea. We'll post pictures later in the year!

The sole exception to this rule for GenCon is India Garden, the Indian restaurant a 4 or 5 block walk away that is well worth the trip. There's a tapas place next door that I spotted Luke and Jared at that's also pretty sweet. You just need to know where to head to off-site.

-JC
  • You can also get bánh mì at the North Market, so yes, Origins food is all sorted out.
  • CRAP I THOUGHT YOU MEANT I COULD GET BANH MI AT DREAMATION GODDAMN IT JASON WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO ME

• If you are in Northern Jersey and do not take the opportunity to eat at a classic Jersey diner, you have lost the game.
  • I'm trying to get El Guero Canelo to be the official after-party of RinCon. Sonoran Hotdog perfectors.
  • People can be reincarnated as beans, guys. They're not vegan. Don't you know your Pythagoras?
  • In Thyme, the little cafe down near Mhindi In the hotel complex was tasty and reasonably priced for lunch (I got a vegetarian wrap with sundried tomatoes, portabello mushrooms, etc. on a Spinach wrap). It's only open Mon-Fri, sadly.

Mhindi had alright Indian food for crazy stupid prices. Their drink list sounded interesting (I tried the cracked pepper and grilled pineapple martini), but cocktails for $12/pop aren't what I'm looking for when I'm trying to save moolah (so I can buy cool games).
  • The Dreamation hotel buffet breakfast is delicious and $15 plus tax. Considering that I eat like two meals at that thing I call it a bargain.
  • When I go to Gen Con I go to White Castle and Steak-N-Shake, which are both indulging in crap to be sure, but they're a guilty pleasure we don't have out here in California. To be honest I was kind of nonplussed by the dining in downtown Indianapolis otherwise.

When I go to FanimeCon here in San Jose I usually hit up Hydration, a local bubble tea and bento place, though I can go there most any time. Still, their crispy chicken bento is awesome.

When I go to GDC, WonderCon, the Alternative Press Expo, or anything else at Moscone Center or near to it in San Francisco, I like to hit up this semi-premium burger place called The Burger Joint, which is just all-around really good. I also recently discovered the Samovar Tea Lounge over there, which I'll be visiting again.
  • Thyme disappointed me deeply. Bleh. Where Eppy is vegan, my culinary decision is to never let animal death go to waste if I can help it. That place kills to no purpose.

Contrariwise, the Irish pub just down the hill... Grasshopper? ... Made me a delicious and beautiful burger.

But the kofteh. I'm still thinking about the kofteh.

• When at Genericon (in Troy NY), I highly recommend the following locales:
    * Shalimar Indian restaurant
    * Plum Blossom for Chinese
    * DiFazzio's for pizza (there are many good choices, but these guys used to be the top)