[Montsegur 1244] caused me physical pain. [WTWE] healed me.

edited January 2011 in Actual Play
I played in a game of Montsegur 1244 on SävCon. It was horrifying, in the very best way possible. I even felt a bit nauseous afterwards, it got very, very intense. Especially after Cecile lied to the children and gave them the consolamentum to ease their anxiety...

I carried the pain with me until the next day when I played in a game of While the World Ends, where the world was saved by rebellious piano teachers who taught their students to play in an unsanctioned way. A very strange and beautiful story. Roleplaying a teacher playing Erik Satie's Gymnopedies with a student, and reaching her heart with the music, was my best single scene at the con.

Comments

• Hi Wilhelm,

I understand that you have translated Montsegur 1244 to Swedish for the convention, right? If you want to provide the translated handouts for other Swedish players, I'd be happy to make it available from the website.

Can you give a bit more detail of how you ran the game? Did you e.g. act out the scenes live?

Best regards,
    Frederik
  • Posted By: Wilhelmthe world was saved by rebellious piano teachers who taught their students to play in an unsanctioned way. A very strange and beautiful story. Roleplaying a teacher playing Erik Satie's Gymnopedies with a student, and reaching her heart with the music, was my best single scene at the con.
    This is beautiful and awesome.
  • Posted By: Frederik J. Jensen
    I understand that you have translated Montsegur 1244 to Swedish for the convention, right? If you want to provide the translated handouts for other Swedish players, I'd be happy to make it available from the website.
    We didn't plan on spreading the handouts, so I don't know if DeBracy used open art and fonts when doing the layouts. I'll check with him.
    Posted By: Frederik J. Jensen
    Can you give a bit more detail of how you ran the game? Did you e.g. act out the scenes live?
    I am not a LARP'er, and mostly play in third person. However I may stand up while GM'ing to allow more effortless speech and greater gestures when describing stuff, it is VERY rare that I leave my end of the table or have any physical contact with the players.

That said. The group that I played Montsegur with was used to a more physical style of play (the same group LARP'ed the steam engines in the machine room in the Hand of Sorrow in Lady Blackbird, as a background for Snargle's and Kyle's sabotage (I have photos, and permission to put them online, might do that in an AP on that session later)). They stayed in their seats most of the time, but got up and acted out the consolamentum scenes, and a few short sequences during the session.
  • edited January 2011
    Also: Montsegur needs a 'disclaimer'/'advisory' or something like that.

We put an 18+ rating on the game* and made it clear that we took it seriously, and explained that the game could get very uncomfortable. Yet we had a player back out during one of the sessions. I see that not as a failure of the player, but as a personal failure of me not being able to convey the strong themes involved in the game properly before the game.

-

Before playing next time I'll ask the players if anyone is uncomfortable with reading aloud in public. If so, they just pass the cross on to the next player. We caught one very dyslectic player, it was all in good humor but that is not the kind of discomfort I am looking for.

* We brought 9 games with us to the IGL, 8 were playable by everyone and 1 (Montsegur) was only offered to the minority of adult players at the con.
  • As for Montsegur 1244, I didn't use any special GM:ing tricks, no music, no props. But I did the 'light a candle' ritual from Polaris at the start and end of the session. And when the heretics burned at the end I lit a match for the flash of flame and the smell of burning matter.
  • edited January 2011
    Posted By: Paul T.

This is beautiful and awesome.
    Yes, touching the heart of the player, and not just the PC student, with a mere description of the music was truly awesome. Even more so as she was not familiar with the piece. Still, I don't think I can credit WTWE for that particular bit of awesomeness, as much as I would want to. It was just a very tight and good role playing session.
  • Posted By: WilhelmPosted By: Frederik J. Jensen
    We didn't plan on spreading the handouts, so I don't know if DeBracy used open art and fonts when doing the layouts. I'll check with him.

The only art I've used is the character portraits from the original game materials. The rest is freely downloadable fonts or stuff that came with InDesign, so I don't see any problem if Frederick and/or the creators are okay with the use of the art.
  • I posted my two cents on facilitating Montsegur 1244 on my blog:

wilper.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/playing-montsegur-1244-by-frederik-j-jensen/
  • Wilhelm and Anders, thanks for sharing your experience with Montsegur 1244.
    Posted By: DeBracyThe only art I've used is the character portraits from the original game materials. The rest is freely downloadable fonts or stuff that came with InDesign, so I don't see any problem if Frederik and/or the creators are okay with the use of the art.
    The only text I keep restricted for people paying for the book or pdf are the rules and the lead texts for the acts. You can mail a download link or a file to mail at thoughfulgames dot com and I will put it up for free download. My personal experience confirms that playing with the components in your native language does give an extra level of intensity.
    Posted By: WilhelmThey stayed in their seats most of the time, but got up and acted out the consolamentum scenes, and a few short sequences during the session.
    Sounds perfect for Montsegur. Acting out consolamentum will be very strong - be sure that the players are comfortable with this.
    Posted By: WilhelmMontsegur needs a 'disclaimer'/'advisory' or something like that.
    The Italian edition has that. I may put it in the English edition if I make a revised edition.

Thanks again for sharing.
  • And with the AP from the WTWE session I think I am done with reporting for this time. :-)
  • edited January 2011
    Posted By: WilhelmStill, I don't think I can credit WTWE for that particular bit of awesomeness, as much as I would want to. It was just a very tight and good role playing session.
    I'd agree. But WTWE has so far produced fiction that's felt like a ready-to-go script every time I've played it.

It was an terrific session and a well needed counter-weight to Montsegur.

Performance: Bravissimo.
    /Samuel Tenor of Performance office 4
  • edited January 2011
    How much different games were played:

* Lady Blackbird – 5 times

* Zombie Cinema – 5 times

* Love in the Time of Seið – 3 times

* Montsegur 1244 – 2 times

* 1001 Nights – 1 time

* Evolutionens Barn – 1 time

* While the world ends – 1 time

* Polaris – 1 time
  • The Swedish edition of the scene cards, story cards and characters are now available for download here.