Fiasco-in-a-Bag

edited December 2010 in Story Games

This is my Fiasco grab bag (index cards, a black sharpie, dice, and a playset or two or twelve). If I'm in a hurry and I don't know what exactly I'm going to get up to at my destination, I can grab it and throw it in my bag. Fiasco's rules are light enough to remember easily, and if I want to have the complete package I can include the playmat and cheatsheet in the bag. I've also done this for In a Wicked Age and Shock:. And Ghost/Echo, but that sort of started out in a ready-to-go format. I just had to laminate it. :D

Do you guys have anything like this? In a Wicked Age makes for a great go-to boredom reliever (just add... people!). I can see other games working well, too, like Lady Blackbird or even Apocalypse World (hacked correctly, of course).

What sort of ready-to-go, gaming emergency kits have you guys made? Pictures if you have them!

Comments

• I have my ever-in-progress In A Wicked Age Boxed set. The current one is the second edition of what I had earlier. It's not done, so I don't want to post photos yet.
  • I have done this with a few different games, though mostly with my own projects. ...and unfortunately, no photos since they've been cannibalized for parts in the last couple of years.

I had a small envelope box (used to contain 250 A6 invitation envelopes...so pretty small) that had a couple of my miniaturized versions of TOON (I had retyped the main rules and compiled all of the schticks except superpowers, cybernetics and spells, layed it out in convenient half-sheet size booklet format, and made a saddle-stitched booklet that I called the MegaTOON Bomb), dozens of blank character sheets, and a dozen D6s.

A shoebox contained my DangerPatrol set. Three copies of the rules, four copies each of each of the character stuff, a dozen copies of the references, an eclectic selection of dice, paperclips, poker chips, sharpies of various colors, hundreds of custom-cut squares of card stock (one of the few advantages of working in a print shop), and some sci-fi cardstock standees. I think that set is still intact, somewhere...

The most complex was my kit for Screw You Rebel Scum! I took an envelope box that held 500 #10s (a little larger than a ream of writing paper), and stuffed it with five or six copies of the rule book, lots of dice, pencils, more custom-cut squares, and a crapload of Star Wars minis, including twenty stormtroopers, lots of droids and Tusken Raiders, and plenty of rebels. Man, that box was packed full, but still fit in a messenger bag.

In response to the Lady Blackbird possibility, that'd be an easy one to make a grab-bag version. It'd be easier if the game was digest-sized, but its small enough that it can be folded. Then just get some D6s and some imagination, and you're set!
  • For a while I had my "GM bag". It was for my regular group, so it wasn't intended to be super-easy to pick up but it still rocked. It included two sets of gaming stones, a big bag containing all kinds of dice, a bag of runestones, a notebook, pencils and a combination of digest-sized rpgs at any given time.

I want to do something like that again. I recently printed out my Poison'd pdf and put in in a nice cover, as well as printed out some core pages out of the Swords & Wizardry freebie book. Fiasco would be great to pack like that, too, I just need to print a bunch of playsets.

I might stick everything in a homemade box, Daniel Solis style.
  • edited December 2010
    I use a contractor's metal clipboard, with a built-in one inch deep metal box under it, as my Fiasco "go-box". Everything fits nicely, including a laminated play mat and a nylon pencil case with all the bits for Montsegur, Love in the Time of Sei∂ and Archipelago II.

Zombie Cinema comes pre-packed for travel!
  • I think I recall John (jenskot) walking around Dreamation last year with a badass Mouse Guard case.

I had an IAWA box I had going in a Carcasonne box, but now it's in a dumb blue plastic box. I want something fancier.
  • Oh man, I am definitely going out to get the material to make one of those badass Daniel Solis boxes. Sweet!

@Jason: That sounds rad!
  • Hey, how do you spread out the options for people during the situation-building phase? I always print the appropriate playset pages out, but obviously these various go-bag options are too small to contain those? (Actually the book itself is too small/hard to lay flat for those to be easily accessible to a table full of people.)
  • edited December 2010
    I printed the playsets 2-up double-sided on 8.5x11in paper and made them into little booklets. They lay flat and fit in a quart-sized ziplock bag.

ETA: There's also about an inch and a half of white-space on the bottom of the booklets, which I trimmed down.
  • I just have the Tilt and Aftermath tables saved as images on my celphone, and have a dice rolling app as well. Thus Fiasco is always with me as an option.

(And I've got one or two of my games on the phone, and a host of other games saved to Dropbox).
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarI use a contractor's metal clipboard, with a built-in one inch deep metal box under it, as my Fiasco "go-box". Everything fits nicely, including a laminatedplay matand a nylon pencil case with all the bits for Montsegur, Love in the Time of Sei∂ and Archipelago II.

Zombie Cinema comes pre-packed for travel!
    Wait, are those FIASCO character cards?? Do tell.
  • Posted By: Caesar_XWait, are those FIASCO character cards?? Do tell.
    Those are from my 15-minute demo.
  • My story-games bag has a handful of manila folders: IaWA (Harper's character sheets and Ry's conflict map), Geiger Counter Beta, Lady Blackbird, Ghost/Echo, Archipelago II, and scratch paper. And it has books: Fiasco, IaWA, Love in the time of Seid, Annalise, the Story Games Names Project. And it has cards: playing cards, Misery Bubblegum (recent addition!), Once Upon A Time. And it has dice. And index cards. And flash cards (I've almost used up my first set of these...) And pens and pencils.

It desperately needs Shock:

And it's a bit too much for air travel...
  • I'm seriously reconsidering my three-ring binder of PTA and Fiasco and switching to a case like that, due to the ability to carry dice/chips/cards as well. Hmmm.
  • Posted By: JDCorleyI'm seriously reconsidering my three-ring binder of PTA and Fiasco and switching to a case like that, due to the ability to carry dice/chips/cards as well. Hmmm.
    If you don't mind the three-ring binder getting a little oddly shaped, you can just buy one of those nylon pencil cases with three holes punched in them. That way you can keep dice, chips, and cards in it.
  • I've got one of those, it makes it a bit harder to store, that's what I'm seeing as the big advantage here. Plus, the binders are already bulging because the pockets are full of the handouts (like the Fiasco playsets and so on...which actually now that I think about it would be a good candidate for cardstock...)
  • Posted By: JDCorleyI've got one of those, it makes it a bit harder to store, that's what I'm seeing as the big advantage here. Plus, the binders are already bulging because the pockets are full of the handouts (like the Fiasco playsets and so on...which actually now that I think about it would be a good candidate for cardstock...)
    Heh, yeah. My binder has suffered structural damage from all the shit I cram into it, and now it's less than useful as an organization tool, since every time someone else picks it up everything falls out of it onto the table, floor, cat, train, etc.
  • Posted By: JDCorleyI'm seriously reconsidering my three-ring binder of PTA and Fiasco and switching to a case like that, due to the ability to carry dice/chips/cards as well. Hmmm.
    There are also three-ring binder "case binders" which will hold your playsets in order while ALSO having space for dice and pencils/index cards (though I use half sheets of paper rather than index cards, when I run).
    -----
    I have a Dexas Case Binder from which I removed the three-ring binder rail. It is the PERFECT size to hold exactly 13 tubes of Icehouse pyramids, various bags of dice and counters, and a thick stack of various boards (chess, wedges, Volcano, WW3).

Of course... they released the 14th color last year, and so now it's totally the WRONG size to hold everything and I must come up with an alternative (which I think I already have).
    -----
    I have a BIG ASS small parts organizer that I use to carry my Mechaton mechs, tons of dice, and basic blocks (to make terrain). It's like a small suitcase, but it has all one needs to play.
    -----
    Every card game I own (less VTES and Knightmare Chess) I carry in two wood-and-plexi boxes used to package fine scotch.

I think I generally avoid making "sets" for gaming because I have so much to reuse (mainly dice, but also things like playing cards, markers, glass beads, etc) and I play such a variety of games from month to month. I'd rather have a neat and trim backpack with JUST what I intend to play/run than a "go bag" with a variety of games I won't be running but which I'll lug all over the con for the whole weekend (been there, done that, got the back ache).
  • edited January 2011
    Posted By: JDCorley(like the Fiasco playsets and so on...which actually now that I think about it would be a good candidate for cardstock...)
    This actually got me rather inspired; so I created this...

...a Fiasco playset reference card.

In this case, I chose an existing playset at random for my reformatting experiment; the chosen playset became Nathan Russell's Fallout playset. The goal, which I have achieved fairly successfully, was to get the entire playset's contents onto a single two-sided 6x9 sheet - so that it matches the Fiasco rulebook's size format.

Here's an image of the result:

Click on the image to download a PDF version of it.

Space is limited on that kind of a card, so you gotta hope that the Score text isn't too long; though if you eliminate the "cover graphic" and just put a plain title, there'd be some space recovered for more text. Also, you gotta hope that the individual list item descriptions for Relationships, Needs, Locations, and Objects aren't too long or some editing might be necessary. In the case of the Fallout playset here, there was only one item that spanned more than one line; so I had to abbreviate the text a bit and physically narrow the font a tad to make it fit on one line.

I love single sheet laminated reference cards; they're generally very durable and convenient to work with. This experiment worked out fairly well. When I play Fiasco, I think I might port whatever playsets I decide to use into this format.
  • That's pretty nice, Leo. Thanks!!
  • holy smokes, Leo, that looks great.
  • Looks great Leo. Noticed a typo in the insta-setup section:

"To get righ... by cheating the Mad Hawks motorcycle gang" should be "To get in... by cheating the Mad Hawks motorcycle gang"