[Arts & Crafts] Binding

edited September 2006 in Story Games
So, I was looking at the nerdly stuff and saw: "Bookbinding with Kevin Allen Jr" and Immediately regretted I won't be there, but it reminded me of a question. I was going through my supplies and realized I could find none of my glues, and since I historically used the empty container to remind me what I want, I have completely forgotten what I used to use as bookbinding glue. It wasn't actual binding paste because, honestly, Giant Pain In The Ass. I think it may have been a joint sealant of all things.

Anyway, I wanted to throw this question out to Kevin and any other peper nerds: What's your binding glue of choice?

-Rob D.

Comments

• edited September 2006
    I do a lot of bookbinding, but I eschew perfect-binding as a rule. I do make books with saddle-stitched signatures with an outer cover glued on - I use ye olde hot-glue gun and whatever craft hot-glue sticks are available. The trick with hot-glue is that you need a manly gluegun that can spit out enough glue (at high enough temperatures) for the whole spine at once, so you can spread and secure it while it's still all gooey.

But for everything else (arty poetry chapbooks and blank journals) - I use japanese stab binding. Time-consuming but secure forever. I have stab-binding books that I've used for 6+ years and filled up without losing a single page.
  • I ended up doing stab binding with a drill and some floss one weekend a few years back when I just needed to slap something together and I admit that one is still together. May have to go back to thinking about it as a prospect.

And get a manlier hot glue gun. My current one is, i admit, pretty wimpy. :)

-Rob D.
  • I use librarian's pH-neutral glue, cause that's what I was taught to use way back when I worked in a library. You can get it at a good office supply store, or through most office supply catalogs.
  • The only binding glue (which is called that) I have is a powder that requires an arcane process of boiling to prepare. Is that the of the librarian stuff, or is it something else?

-Rob D.
  • Posted By: Rob DonoghueI ended up doing stab binding with a drill and some floss one weekend a few years back when I just needed to slap something together and I admit that one is still together. May have to go back to thinking about it as a prospect.

And get a manlier hot glue gun. My current one is, i admit, pretty wimpy. :)

-Rob D.
    The downside to stab binding is that it takes for-freakin'-ever to stitch, unless you drill very large holes, which in turn are more likely to get worn out.
  • Rob, you should be able to find it in liquid form. ;)
  • You want PVA, Polyvinyl Acetate (not Polyvinyl Acohol, which is a mold release, which is to say it's the opposite of glue). It dries clear and flexible, it's archival, it doesn't warp paper as much as anything else, and it doesn't kill puppies.

For certain binding projects, 3M Adhesive Transfer Tapes work really well. They're incredibly sticky, but also archival, don't warp at all, and kill relatively few puppies.

3M also makes Super 77, which kills only a couple of puppies at a spritz. Also very sticky, but works on more complex shapes than the adhesive transfer above.

I don't really like stab binding myself. I prefer European-style hard spine. Amazingly durable, attractive, and it gives a good place to write the title.