Where's the crowd?

edited October 2010 in Forum Discussion
A silly question I've been wondering about... a thread that may earn its [sink] tag very soon...

I noticed that the list of "Who's online" (there on the left of the page) is hardly getting as full as it was maybe 6 months ago. I have no data to back this up but I feel it's happened to other small rpg boards (size is all relative but I mean smaller than rpgnet and other 900 pounds gorillaz). I also feel like this reduced activity has been going on since around spring.

Is it just me? Crazy coincidence conspiracy mind hive unite!

Comments

• Haven't really noticed it. There are freak occurrences where the list gets a lot bigger, but I think it's pretty much the same size most of the time...

Is there any way to check up actual stats? Andy?

Let's not start another "omg is story games dying?" thread please.
  • Let's not start another "omg is story games dying?" thread please.
    Here you go buzz killer!

But seriously, I noticed a similar trend on other boards, so it's not exactly a "let's crucify S-G on the tree of woe" thread.
  • Dunno. The Norwegian role-playing board sure has gone very quiet the last six months or so.
  • Theories:

1. Everybody's playing Apocalypse World instead.
    2. Everybody's playing the new Halo instead.
    3. Everybody's working on their Halloween costumes.
    4. Everybody just got a new boy/girlfriend and don't have time for this anymore.
    5. Everybody's retired from roleplaying and taken up something hipper and cooler, like knitting.
  • 6. It's getting colder, therefore people spend more time inside, therefore they are playing more. Everyone knows Time Spent Playing is directly opposite to Time Spent Talking About Games.
  • edited October 2010
    I have access to the stats of a few unrelated forums (some in gaming, many not) and in general forum usage seems to be down. Which is not too surprising given blogs, twitter, and facebook.
  • JWalt forgot

6. Everybody decided "It's dead to me now."
  • I don't know, but for my part in this, all of my roleplaying game discussion activity is done exclusively through newer social media such as
  • Well played, sir.
  • I must point out that it is possible to knit while you roleplay. Except lace.
  • I can start a thread yelling at everyone if it would help?

Or maybe if it wouldn't?
  • That reminds me, Walton, I need to introduce you to my new Apocalypse World- and Halo-playing girlfriend, she's just been too busy knitting her Halloween costume.

On Twitter.
  • I love this thread.
  • Posted By: TeataineIs there any way to check up actual stats? Andy?
    Not really. Well, not in a meaningful way anyway.

These last two months have been the largest in terms of traffic for the forum ever: And that's not in 'page hits', that actually calculated in mySQL process times, with most all of the activity happening on this forum's "comment.php" process: In other words, the count of actual folks posting on the forum (not just 'viewing', which includes random spambots etc). However, I think that there might be a connection to the game chef stuff.

Yeah, I'm not really sure how that left-side code works. Sometimes I'll see 5 "Named" people on the left, then a minute later return to the top page to see about 16 "Named" people, then a minute later there will be 6 again. Because of the overhead it causes, I've thought once or twice about killing it off: But in the end, I kinda like it myself. Even if there's only one other person or Guest listed, that connection is kinda nice.

Also, there's been plenty of times where I've seen about four "Named people" (logged in), but 15-19 "Guests".

In any case, I know that in my own case I've been pretty busy: Sick for almost the entirety of the month, interspersed with prepping for and delivering some intense training at work. I've only been able to peek in here and there.

But honestly? I kinda like things as they are, in terms of amount of activity. My participation in my beloved RPGNet's down to basically a few minutes a week now, since pretty much every even active thread will fly off the top page in a matter of a few hours. I like being able to come back here in two, four, six days and not just bewildered at all the new topics and discussions. But that's just me.

-Andy
  • Posted By: Andy
    But honestly? I kinda like things as they are, in terms of amount of activity. My participation in my beloved RPGNet's down to basically a few minutes a week now, since pretty much every even active thread will fly off the top page in a matter of a few hours. I like being able to come back here in two, four, six days and not just bewildered at all the new topics and discussions.
    Same here. I can't follow a discussion at RPG.net, even the ones that interest me, much less participate, because of the sheer number of responses.

The pace of new threads and new posts at Story Games is just about perfect. Depending on how slow things are at my job, of course.