[Parsely] Deathtrap Dungeon!

edited October 2010 in Directed Promotion
I recently made an adventure in the text adventure/GET LAMP vein, following the lead of Jared Sorensen's Parsely Games.

Check it out: Death Dungeon! (pdf)

It turns out that it is super simple and fun to make a Parsely adventure. It only took me an afternoon or so to figure out the rooms and puzzles, and only another day or so to make the PDF file.

The thing I like best about the PDF is the form factor. It was initially designed to be printed on 11 by 17 paper, but if you scale it to print on a normal 8 1/2 by 11 sheet and trim the top and bottom edges, you get a nice little pamphlet that fits in your wallet. Take your dungeon crawl wherever you go, and entertain your nerd friends while waiting for the movie to start or whatever.

I also think that there are interesting and complex relationships between Parsely games and the Old School Renaissance, but that might be fodder for a different thread.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    image image
  • Ah, Deathtrap Dungeon, how you tormented my youth...

• Parsely games are basically drama-centered dungeon crawls (no random agents, no numeric comparisons or bidding/spending of resources). But it's still problem solving, input and output just like any old-school dungeon.
  • Posted By: Jared A. SorensenParsely games are basically drama-centered dungeon crawls (no random agents, no numeric comparisons or bidding/spending of resources). But it's still problem solving, input and output just like any old-school dungeon.
    Exactly. It's very different than any existing retro-clones, but Action Castle is hits a lot of the notes highlighted in "The Quick Primer for Old School Gaming", ("player skill, not character skill" for example).
  • I'm running this for my friends right now in my Facebook status! Will report back when finished.
  • Posted By: michael.harrelI'm running this for my friends right now in my Facebook status! Will report back when finished.
    That's awesome. I've been running it for my wife via text messages over the last few days. She is right now stuck on trying to defeat the skeleton golem.
  • Ooh, I hope it's up again soon. Me and my nerd friends hang out in a chat room all day, and I'd love to run this for them.
  • Posted By: Nick WarcholakOoh, I hope it's up again soon. Me and my nerd friends hang out in a chat room all day, and I'd love to run this for them.
    I'll hopefully get it back up tomorrow.
  • The link to the PDF file should be working again.
  • Maybe it's something about Chrome. I see a blank page, but I can still click "Save file as..." in the tools menu and download the file.
  • Weird. It loads in-browser on my Chrome 7.0.544.0 dev. Recently, the same thing was happening with people getting the Quarantine playbook for AW from the S:HC Kickstarter -- other Chrome users were getting blank pages and I got it fine.

Also, it looks neat. Maybe I'll play with my kid(s).
  • I'm saving this for my next car trip! Looking forward to the sequel!
  • I'm glad that people seem to like the game. If you haven't already, you should definitely check out the original Action Castle! and related games. They're inexpensive and a load of fun to play (and probably better designed than my amateur efforts).
  • Well, we're three days in and still going pretty strong on my Facebook status. We actually haven't delved very far into the Dungeon yet; they've been going back and forth between the Lobby and the Antechamber, and haven't even ventured into the northern part of the Tiled Room yet. I think the main problem with doing this on a FB status is that the players sort of come and go, and not everyone reads what's come before; so we've read the Instructional Note twice now, and at least three people have tried talking to the gnome at different points (after which somebody tried to kill it, prompting the gnome to run and hide in some other room). Today we finally got the Ceramic Door open after filling out the Form (in blood, as it turns out, because the player couldn't be bothered to look for a pen and decided to bite his own finger!).

I'm having a blast running it all so far. I'll report back again later!
  • Posted By: michael.harrel Today we finally got the Ceramic Door open after filling out the Form (in blood, as it turns out, because the player couldn't be bothered to look for a pen and decided to bite his own finger!).
    Very nice.

I worry if the players will figure out some more of the puzzles if they're not paying attention to other people's activities. Knowing what to do with the lead heart requires reading the poem in the sarcophagus room, for example.
  • I was worried about that, too. I may have a scrap of paper in the sarcophagus room with a copy of the poem on it; that way there's at least a chance it'll be in the inventory if someone checks later.
  • I get two errors when I try to view the PDF:

1. Insufficient data for an image.

2. An error exists on this page. Acrobat may not display the page correctly. Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem.

Not sure why it's happening, as other people seem to be able to download it fine.
  • Enough people are having problems that I've hosted the file on Scribd, which hopefully will clear up some technical difficulties.