Feature request?

edited October 2010 in Forum Discussion
Is there a way to know what threads have been the most bookmarked?

Comments

• Not really no. Haven't seen anyone try to code that functionality into Vanilla yet. If you want, head to the forums and ask if anyone has any ideas (www.lussumo.com) for Vanilla 1. If you find something, let me know.

-Andy
  • How about a mobile-friendly view?
  • Posted By: RyHow about a mobile-friendly view?
    This might be just as easy as creating (or finding) a CSS template for Vanilla 1.

Ah, I scoped the Vanilla site: No one's done a "mobile-friendly" CSS template. But if you create or requisition one (I have gone to the Vanilla forums, paid people a few bucks to code features and stylesheets for this and other sites), I'd be totally happy to make it available.

-Andy
  • I'd throw 20 bucks at it if I was sure I was articulating myself right and talking to the right group. The lack of a mobile view is a minor annoyance, especially when compared to the godawful pages over at EN World.
  • Very good judo, Kitkowski-san. *bows*
  • What would you want in a "mobile-friendly" view? It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to put one together, the page is pretty simple.

I mean, I know what *I* would want in one, but I don't know what other people would. High contrast between font and background, simple layout, low bandwidth usage, that kind of thing.
  • CSS won't control bandwidth usage--it's applied to tags after the data request. If the PHP that builds a page is part of a Vanilla theme, however, then you could do a lot too minimize bandwidth: remove avatars and sigs, remove most/all navigation bars, even turn of the editing toolbar, forcing one to type all formatting as code (that might not be worth it).

Font size on most phones on which it is worth reading forums is moot, because of zoom and re-wrapping. Just do a good design, with sans serif fonts, and use relative sizes.

Main things you want are:
    * No absolute sizing of anything like DIVs--that will force side-scrolling.
    * Standard or otherwise visually untweaked button and UI controls, not customized--the phone browser can make them most-usable based on orientation and zoom.
    * No/different sidebar and topbar navigation--odds are good those nav tools, by default, end up being a nuisance (have to scroll past them every page) or of minimal utility for fast nav (have to scroll to the bottom to reach them) or waste screen space (side-scrolling every page, to get to the thread).

It might be fun, actually--pull down a Vanilla theme that's already close and just start hacking out the cruft.
  • My only real beef is that I have to scroll back and forth horizontally to read a line.
  • Ry, that's because the theme you've chosen for the site uses absolute sizes, somewhere.
  • Posted By: David ArtmanCSS won't control bandwidth usage--it's applied to tags after the data request.
    I meant not using background images, icons, stuff that you actually can control in css.
    It might be fun, actually--pull down a Vanilla theme that's already close and just start hacking out the cruft.
    That's what I did, and it is pretty fun. I'm not entirely sure it would be legal for use by story-games, though, since it's a derivative of the vanilla.css file; what's the Vanilla license allow for stuff like that?
  • My only real beef is that I have to scroll back and forth horizontally to read a line.

Yeah. It's particularly bad when making a post.

That's what I did, and it is pretty fun. I'm not entirely sure it would be legal for use by story-games, though, since it's a derivative of the vanilla.css file; what's the Vanilla license allow for stuff like that?

Are you kidding?

• Posted By: DanMcSThat's what I did, and it is pretty fun. I'm not entirely sure it would be legal for use by story-games, though, since it's a derivative of the vanilla.css file; what's the Vanilla license allow for stuff like that?
    Do it.

DO IT NOW!

Also, yes, totally legal by Vanilla license. I had a contest at the Vanilla forums and approved by the original developer where people basically hacked themes for prizes. Nothing wrong with it, and everything right.
    Posted By: David ArtmanRy, that's because the theme you've chosen for the site uses absolute sizes, somewhere.
    I think that Dave might be right.

Check your Accoutn tab above, go to Stylesheet. The S-G default is "Jazzman", which is a variable-size page (I LOVE variable size, because I often use large monitors and Fuck You if you're gonna code variable width so that all the posts are only as wide as the palm of my hand on a 19 inch monitor...), BUT it does have that larger black band on the left side.

Check out some of the other stylesheets to see if one works better for you.

-Andy
  • None of those seem to really resolve the issue for me, but check this out!