How We Came to Live Here: A Nordic Hack-in-progress

edited October 2010 in Story Games
So I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and a lot of it has been about How We Came to Live Here, because, y'know, I'm playing it at the moment.

The first thing I do when I read a rule book is dream up a scenarios and situations about the game in question. Usually this leads to a lot of neat hack ideas that I never implement because a) I'm lazy and b) I'm convinced I don't have what it takes to do game design. This time is different, because I'm a) really excited and b) going to write this shit down.

So what I'm doing is hacking How We Came to Live Here, because I love that game and I think it's got a lot of great ideas. I want to make a Nordic version: How We Came to Pillage Here, or something equally clever and witty so everyone will love me and play my hack. The basic idea is to transplant the mechanics from HWCtLH wholesale into a Nordic themed game. Vikings, terrible gods, hostile environments, and traditions and obligations that weigh heavily on young heroes. If you'd like, you can read my initial pitch and follow the progress at my new game design blog. I would actually be really happy if people started reading and commenting on what I had to say; I think that would provide a lot of motivation to get more involved in the hobby.

If you don't want to read the ramblings of a semi-delusional dude, I completely understand, but if you're able and willing, well, I'd count you as a friend.

Comments

• Sounds awesome! I look forward to seeing what you put together for this. I think this won't be too difficult a hack. Just change a bit of the flavor and setting detail and away you go.
  • It seems like it might map to the Icelandic sagas pretty well, although the mythic nature of the world and the inherent threat of externality is missing - outsiders were trading partners, employers, rivals, victims. But gender roles are clearly defined and women in the sagas had a lot of power over their realm. Creating a transgressive sin list is easy. You've got the alþing where rule-breakers can stand in judgment.
  • Brennen -- thanks for the support. I'm looking forward to seeing this one through.

Jason -- sweet. May I pick your brain after I've started cooking this thing a bit more thoroughly?
  • I'd like this. One personal difficulty I have with How We Came To Live Here is that I don't have a handle on the background, so I'd appreciate a setting that was more...handleable. Had more handles on it. Had better handles on it. One of those.
  • I'll see about those handles, if I can.