[Final Fantasy] Anyone doing anything new?

edited September 2010 in Story Games
If you know me, I have this nostalgic hard on for Final Fantasy, specifically some of the older ones, 4 most prominently. If you don't know me, you can probably find a thread or three where I've talked about gaming in regards to FF.

Has anyone done anything recently that played like FF or was inspired by FF?

Since this is kind of a githyanki therapy thing, I'll give you two posts:

My FF Oracle on Abulafia
FF IV DS Opening Trailer

Comments

• I've starting working a bit on Slime Quest (a sort of spinoff of Slime Story), inspired by Japanese console RPGs and fantasy anime (though stuff like Dragon Quest and Grandia is as much an inspiration as Final Fantasy).
  • What kind of gameplay does it focus on?
  • I'm still working stuff out, but it's definitely going to use the relatively simple tactical combat of Slime Story (making an anime-fied "4E lite" is part of my goal) that uses an abstract positioning thing like in Meikyuu Kingdom (and Agon). Outside of battles, I'm working on a system of "challenges" where players use skills to overcome obstacles (kinda like Mouse Guard), but with the twist that, for example, a wizard could have an "Elemental Power" skill and make a check on it to, say, use a fire spell to melt a wall of ice. I also want to work out something to mechanically deal with characters' beliefs (and perhaps relationships), since the storylines in those games and anime typically involve Japanese-style melodrama.
  • As antithetical as it may be to the genre, hacking Mouse Guard to do FF would be interesting, I think.

I have my own ideas for hacking Old School Hack (in itself a hack of Red Box Hack) and adding in Conditions like Berserk and Shell and such. You need more HP though.
  • Jake Richmond and Nick Smith (of Sea Dracula fame) are working on a game called The Magical Land of Yeld which is definitely (in part) inspired by console RPGs in the Final Fantasy vein. I've read the beta, and nothing else I've read/played comes as close to evoking that FF feeling.
  • Mark,
    I hadn't heard the term Githyanki Therapy before, and now I'm happy to say I've Googled it. I think I get it.
    This may be an unhelpful or off-base question, but are you interested more in something with the trappings of the FF console gameplay, or more in something that is evocative of FF games, their themes, their grandeur, etc?
  • Zac,

Good question. I think that, given the diverse nature of even a single FF game, the answer will be slightly different for everyone. I'm more often into the story game that feels like the setting and, yes, grandeur, I like that. Console gameplay could be present or could be ignored.

I've never even tried Super Console, despite being the first RPG I ever purchased as a PDF. I should try it out at some point.

Hans,

I've been waiting for MLoY to be released, but I think I have the beta around here somewhere ...
  • Isn't Christian Griffen's Anima Prime lovingly spun from final fantasy dreams? At least in part. Perhaps it's a little more VII than IV, though.

Still, a rollicking good time, best if run by Andy "Airships are my middle names" Airships Airships Henderson from seattle. Man, that cat can swing. Watch out for the flying apes, yes?
  • edited October 2010
    Hey Mark,

Have you taken a look at Elegia?
    http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/elegia-%5Bebook%5D/10275497

-k
  • Tim "Mountain Witch" Kleinert was working on a Final Fantasy thing for a while, but I can't seem to get in contact with him. I have a draft of it around somewhere, though. Maybe someone else has another?

• I'm definitely interested in what pops up here... =)

As for my own thoughts on the subject... Eoris comes off with a pretty strong anime influence. The setting is filled with magitech and widely varying character types. In fact, even the magic is just science shrouded in mysticism. I plan on using Eoris to run a campaign heavily inspired by Phantasy Star IV and old school Squaresoft games. :D

Outside of Eoris, you should look into Empire of Dust. The mechanics are tied to a cool science fantasy setting.
  • I started dicking around with a hack of Red Box Hack that basically (easily) converted the classes into the classes seen in Final Fantasy X. And I had the idea that when 3 characters reach Level 5, the huge climax battle comes. But I couldn't quite get my head around how to set up the great climax battle in the game that wasn't a direct copy of SIN, or an appropriate ending that wasn't an exact copy of the end of FFX...
  • edited October 2010
    Andy: I could see each group developing the world's megaboss. And if you're going to use RBH, use OSH. It's got more to offer.
  • Posted By: jackson teguIsn't Christian Griffen'sAnima Primelovingly spun from final fantasy dreams? At least in part. Perhaps it's a little more VII than IV, though.

Still, a rollicking good time, best if run by Andy "Airships are my middle names" Airships Airships Henderson from seattle. Man, that cat can swing. Watch out for the flying apes, yes?
    I didn't know it had made it out of beta. I hope it'll be in print soon.
  • edited October 2010
    Posted By: MacLeod
    Outside of Eoris, you should look into Empire of Dust. The mechanics are tied to a cool science fantasy setting.
    Agreed. I just ran my first session of EoD yesterday, and it is very obviously console-RPG influenced, although oddly, the biggest video-game vibe I got was from Bionic Commando, since EoD has a map with waypoints the PCs travel between, and if they fluff their Navigation roll they're intercepted by a random encounter.

It's definitely a beer-and-pretzely kind of game, and while you can get the PDF on IPR easily enough, I think the sadly scarce box set version is superior just because it comes with a bunch of awesome little chits for things like "explosive barrel" and "on fire".
  • [cite]Posted By: Joe McGuffin[/cite]Agreed. I just ran my first session of EoD yesterday, and it is very obviously console-RPG influenced, although oddly, the biggest video-game vibe I got was from Bionic Commando, since EoD has a map the PCs have to travel between points on, and if they fluff their Navigation roll they're intercepted by a random encounter.
    The random encounters are pretty cool. :) EoD is the perfect sandbox game in my opinion. If I could get the rights to it, I would write a version of it that ties itself to a setting similar to Phantasy Star IV's.
    It's definitely a beer-and-pretzely kind of game, and while you can get the PDF on IPR easily enough, I think the sadly scarce box set version
    is superior just because it comes with a bunch of awesome little chits for things like "explosive barrel" and "on fire".
    I agree with the first sentiment because the game is very easy to play, everything is right in front of you... and generating combatants on the fly is a breeze because of that. It also makes having henchmen extremely doable, more so than a game like Savage Worlds.

I had to get my copy from Clint Krause... I contacted him via the Red Moon Medicine Show website and he told me that he has a few extra copies. Since then I recommended two people to him, so maybe he has one or two more copies...?
  • edited October 2010
    Posted By: MacLeod

I agree with the first sentiment because the game is very easy to play, everything is right in front of you... and generating combatants on the fly is a breeze because of that. It also makes having henchmen extremely doable, more so than a game like Savage Worlds.
    Lord yes.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about that, but yeah, EoD is doing for me what everyone says Savage Worlds does but just never delivered in the eight sessions I've played with two different groups. They're both rules-lightish skirmishy games, but SW just seems to bog down so damn hard in any fight with more than four participants. EoD seems so much breezier and easier. It also doesn't have the annoying bias towards ranged attacks that basically disallows you from running a melee guy without devoting your entire character build to it.

And yeah, all the random encounter tables and whatnot are interesting, you could practically have an entire procedurally-generated campaign by just rolling up the first session from the initial mission table, following the implications of any random encounters that pop up while traveling to there and back from it, then rolling on the time-lapse table and working from the implications of that. The TPK consequence table is also great, so killing the entire party is less "well, there goes the campaign" and more "dammit, now we gotta track down those bandits to steal our stuff back."
    I had to get my copy from Clint Krause... I contacted him via the Red Moon Medicine Show website and he told me that he has a few extra copies. Since then I recommended two people to him, so maybe he has one or two more copies...?
    I bought my copy from him too, so that's one fewer.