Celstyle is temporarily down

Although it hasn't seen a lot of discussion here, you may have heard about the Cel*Style project. Cel*Style is a label for anime and manga role playing games, and includes Maid, Bliss Stage, Panty Explosion and several other great games.

Anyway, you may have noticed that our site (CelStyle.com) is currently down. That's actually why I'm making this post. I want to make sure that anyone searching for Celstyle.com over the next week or so will know that it hasn't just disappeared. Or at least that it's only disappeared temporarily.

For the next week I'll be posting Cel*Style info at Atarashigames.com. You can contact my about Cel*style at jake at atarashigames.com.

Thanks,

Jake

(And just to make this a less boring post, here's some Panty Explosion art)

Comments

• huh! i never heard of this project!
    Are you guys working on new editions/versions of these games? I've got Bliss Stage and Panty Explosion myself, so I'm interested.
  • I am totally playing the girl with the floating head.
  • Posted By: fnord3125Are you guys working on new editions/versions of these games? I've got Bliss Stage and Panty Explosion myself, so I'm interested.
    Different members are doing different things with their games according to whatever they feel like doing. Jake and his cohorts are the only ones I know of who has a new version of an existing game in the pipeline at the moment, but there are some new things coming along (slowly, but surely, in the case of the project I'm working on but am not quite ready to talk about publicly).

And, you know, Tenra.
  • Anima Prime will be published as part of Cel*Style as well.
  • 0 hunters and the seed rpg line is with cel*style
  • Um, I haven't talked to Jake about this, because it's way off and not at all what I'm thinking about right now, but we're working on a game that, should it get published as a product, will probably fall under the Cel*Style umbrella as well.
  • edited September 2010
    I feel silly posting a project list when our site is currently down, so I'll limit myself to what we've announced already: Cannibal Contagion, Maid, 0 Hunters, Anima Prime, Classroom Deathmatch and new versions of Panty Explosion and Bliss Stage. Plus this mystery thing that Hans is doing.
    Posted By: fnord3125huh! i never heard of this project!
    Are you guys working on new editions/versions of these games? I've got Bliss Stage and Panty Explosion myself, so I'm interested.
    Yeah, I haven't talked about it much at all. I've been waiting till the website and some other bits and bots were in place. Tyler, Christian and some of the other people involved have talked about it a bit here and there.
  • and http://celstyle.com/ is back in action.
  • What's Cannibal Contagion, Jake?
  • Cannibal Contagion is Nathanael Cole's excellent psycho-zombie survival horror game. It's brutal zombie story gaming in the tradition of films like Vs and The Machine Girl and video games like Resident Evil.

It's my favorite zombie game.
  • Posted By: TylerTandhttp://celstyle.com/is back in action.
    It is!
  • edited September 2010
    Posted By: jake richmondClassroom Deathmatch and new versions of Panty Explosion and Bliss Stage.
    Sometime, in this or another thread (whichever you feel is more appropriate) could you tell us more about the planned new versions of Classroom Deathmatch and Panty Explosion? I've got both of them (though sadly I haven't managed to get them to the table yet). I'd also like to hear more about the new version of Bliss Stage, if someone can talk about it (Ben isn't really around here much lately, is he?).
  • I think Jake just posted a little bit about the new Panty Explosion http://celstyle.com/?p=118
    Having seen a good chunk of the art for the new edition I think it's no secret Jake is going with a stylized approach. he is also doing something rather neat with a more manga based approach to teaching the game. i hope he writes about that next.

I would ask Ben where he has been lately but that would wreck this crazy narrative I have going. Since I last saw him in Portland a few months ago I imagine Ben has traveled to china, northern California and went on tour with lady gaga in Afghanistan.
  • Yeah, clearly the art-style are presentation are very different... I'm mostly wondering how the rules and system are changing. In the end, of course, my goal is to determine if there are enough things different and/or better about the new version that I'll want to buy a copy of it even though I already have the original. :)
  • Incidentally, I *do* really like the new art-style. In fact, if I could bring Panty Explosion to my gaming group right now, I'd probably show them the picture in the first post and suggest them as PCs. I love how Floating Head Girl's pig-tails look like tentacles.
  • edited September 2010
    Posted By: fnord3125Posted By: jake richmondClassroom Deathmatch and new versions of Panty Explosion and Bliss Stage.
    Sometime, in this or another thread (whichever you feel is more appropriate) could you tell us more about the planned new versions of Classroom Deathmatch and Panty Explosion? I've got both of them (though sadly I haven't managed to get them to the table yet). I'd also like to hear more about the new version of Bliss Stage, if someone can talk about it (Ben isn't really around here much lately, is he?).

I can't speak much for Bliss Stage, other then to say that I think the new book will be amazing. Back when Ignition Stage was originally released there was the promise of a prettier, more polished edition of the game somewhere down the road. This is it. I get a nerd boner just thinking about it.

We're putting Classroom Deathmatch back in print, and taking the opportunity to clean up the text and reformat the book. It's a smaller package now (both in dimensions and page count). We made a few small changes to the rules (mostly dealing with flashbacks), added a bit of art and redesigned the character cards (which are now download only). So not a new game, just a cleaned up (and less expensive!) re-issue. We'll also be have a full PDF version of the game that you can download for free, just like before.

Panty Explosion is pretty much a whole new thing. I realized that the game I've been running at cons for the last few years is very, very different from the one we published back in 96. Matt and I have redesigned the game completely. If you're familiar with the old game, the new one will be a cake walk to use, and you'll have a whole bunch of "ohhh,, that's soooooooo much better" moments. I'm thinking of it as the same game, but with different rules. Cleaner, faster, easier and more fun. Less pointless "rpg stuff" like dice stats, character statistics and long, drawn out character creation. More fun stuff that facilitates ease of play, shared narration and group story building.

You won't NEED a copy of the new book, but you'll certainly WANT one. Especially if you've been having trouble getting people to play Panty Explosion with you. The new book is like a black hole. Players will either be helplessly pulled toward it or do everything they can to stay away from it.

(more art)
  • Jake, I'm very much looking forward to the new, cleaned-up PE (I only ran the original version the once and it didn't go over too well), but I have to admit I'm a little sad the new version's look is a lot more moefied. It looks poppy and snappy, but I have a special affection for the weirder, more Carrie-by-way-of-Mai-the-Psychic-Girl art style of the original. New look for a new version, I guess.
  • Jake, if'n ya don't mind me askin', where are you on Magical Land of Yeld?
  • Will there be more concrete stuff in the new PE on the theoretical "gm-less" playmode I've occasionally heard you talk about? ;) One of my biggest hurdles with potentially playing PE or CD is that my only truly reliable gaming group is 3 players, and the Rival/Best Friend thing only works if you have a minimum of 3 players (and if someone has to GM, well...)
  • edited September 2010
    Posted By: fnord3125Will there be more concrete stuff in the new PE on the theoretical "gm-less" playmode I've occasionally heard you talk about? ;) One of my biggest hurdles with potentially playing PE or CD is that my only truly reliable gaming group is 3 players, and the Rival/Best Friend thing only works if you have a minimum of 3 players (and if someone has to GM, well...)
    Yes. PE works best with 4 or more players, but the new version of the game allows for GMless play, and makes 3 player play viable. You can play with a set GM who doesn't have a character of her own, or you can share the GM duties between the players. The sweet spot is in the middle, and the book details all three approaches.
    Posted By: Joe McGuffinJake, I'm very much looking forward to the new, cleaned-up PE (I only ran the original version the once and it didn't go over too well), but I have to admit I'm a little sad the new version's look is a lot more moefied. It looks poppy and snappy, but I have a special affection for the weirder, more Carrie-by-way-of-Mai-the-Psychic-Girl art style of the original. New look for a new version, I guess.

We wanted to do something really, really different with this new version of the game. If old Panty Explosion felt like a combination of Ringu, Mai and Heathers, we wanted new Panty Explosion to feel like a cross between Persona 3, Cat Paradise and Blood: The Last Vampire, with a bit of Azumanga Daioh thrown in. Or to put it another way, I got tired of doing art based on photo reference. This is just closer to how I normally draw.

If you do prefer the old style, we probably will be returning to it for a more spooky and subdued ghost hunting game in the spirit of the Fatal Frame series. but that's a bit of a ways off, because between now and then I have to finish...
    Posted By: merb101Jake, if'n ya don't mind me askin', where are you on Magical Land of Yeld?
    Still working on it. I took a year off to do Panty Explsoion and color a friends comic, and Nick has been busy with The Tulip Academy Society for Dangerous Young Gentlemen. Now that those projects are close to wrapping we can work on Yeld full time till it's done. At this point we have to assemble our giant, fragmented text, clean it up and condense it down into a usable rules set. There's also a bunch of art, which is really the best part for me.

So... sometime next year? I imagine we'll be done around Jan or Feb. Look for more info on the Cel*Style site toward the end of this year.
  • Posted By: jake richmond
    Panty Explosion is pretty much a whole new thing. I realized that the game I've been running at cons for the last few years is very, very different from the one we published back in 96.
    Is this a typo, or was PE originally published in '96? Because if so, whoa, and I'd love to hear that story.
  • I'm not too keen on the cover for Cannibal Contagion.

I love the stuff you're showing from PE though.
  • edited September 2010
    Posted By: hans chung-ottersonPosted By: jake richmond
    Panty Explosion is pretty much a whole new thing. I realized that the game I've been running at cons for the last few years is very, very different from the one we published back in 96.
    Is this a typo, or was PE originally published in '96? Because if so, whoa, and I'd love to hear that story.

Yeah, that was a typo. I meant 2006. I read your post three times before I realized what you meant. I think I'm old. So old.
    Posted By: northerainI'm not too keen on the cover for Cannibal Contagion.

I love the stuff you're showing from PE though.
    CC is pretty awesome, so don't let the cover hold you back. It's like Kill Bill meets VS., but with slightly more zombies.

But thanks. I draw as hard as I can,a nd the Panty Explosion stuff is a ton of fun to do.
  • i play tested Cannibal Contagion once, I think it has some of my favorite card based fight mechanics. they create a great frame work for narrating a fight while still having a fun crunchy game mechanic.
  • Jake, just wanted to say the site and the games look really good. I like the new art style for Panty Explosion, more than the original version in fact. I'm gonna have to pick up a copy.

And I'm glad to hear Yeld is still in the works. If you need any more feedback or playtesting, I will do what I can. It is a great little game with a ton of potential.
  • Posted By: merb101Jake, just wanted to say the site and the games look really good. I like the new art style for Panty Explosion, more than the original version in fact. I'm gonna have to pick up a copy.

And I'm glad to hear Yeld is still in the works. If you need any more feedback or playtesting, I will do what I can. It is a great little game with a ton of potential.
    Thanks Michael. I've always appreciated how enthusiastic you've been about Yeld. When we have something fit for human consumption I'll send you a copy to look at.