[Apocalypse Word] S-G Custom Move discussion thread

edited August 2010 in Story Games
When you start a thread on a forum, roll+Hx.
On a 10+ everyone thinks you had a rad idea and participates.
On a 7-9 no one thinks much either way
On a miss you end up posting a superfluous thread and look like a putz.

Hi! There's a thread collecting special moves on Barf Forth Apocalyptica, but it's not really for discussion (makes it hard to browse moves). So I thought I'd post here to talk about sweet-ass moves that you come with that also need a little discussion. So please discuss moves here!

Here's mine:

When you enter the Slave Pits roll+hot:
On a 10+ you are immediately noticed, isolated and ambushed.
On a 7-9 you are approached and persuaded to sell your body into "indentured servitude"
On a miss you avoid attention entirely (hotties: tell us how!).

I like it because it's like the Harm move: you don't want to hit this one! Can we discuss this it a bit? Do you think it's unfair to penalize people with good scores? I think this is all win, because even if you "fail", you get spotlight time and an interested thing happens to you!

(cross-posted on apocalypse-world.com/forums)

Comments

• Oh man, I wish I had my fronts sheets with me.

Here's one, from memory.

When you harm one of the Frenzied..., roll+harm done
    On a 10+ The Frenzy is your own. Start the countdown clock at 9:00, MC or advance it one tick.
    On a 7-9 Their blood calls for more blood. Start the countdown clock, MC or advance it one tick.
    On a Miss - You're okay, for now. Never make this move with this Frenzied again.

The clock is like this.
    3:00 - Predisposed to violence, you take +1 forward when Seizing by Force or Going Aggro - just the once for this tick.
    6:00 - Everyone starts to look like so much meat, take another +1 forward but take -1 forward to Read A...
    9:00 - This is where it gets nasty - you start losing time and waking up with blood on your hands. The MC will tell you when.
    10:00 - The Frenzied are the only people you seem to be able to stand and your teeth are getting sharper.
    11:00 - Until you find a way to get the Frenzy out of you, Take -2 to all non-Hard rolls.
    12:00 - You lose yourself in it - you're one of them now.
  • When You Scan The Dead...
    You first need to breathe life back into them. Roll +weird.
    On a 10+, you breathe life back into them momentarily, and hold 3.
    On a 7-9, choose:
    you breathe life back into them permanently, and hold 3.
    you breathe some of your life into them temporarily (I get to make a move), and hold 3.

Hold gets spent just like in Deep Brain Scans.
    On a 6 or less, your scan fails, but how the resuscitation works or doesn't is up to me.
  • This is the custom move for a landscape threat in my game called the Junk Fields. It's inhabited by a tribe of exiled "mutants."

When you scavenge the Junk Fields...
    Roll+sharp. On a 10+ choose 2, on a 7-9 choose 1:
    -You find what you're looking for
    -You don't get lost
    -The inhabitants don't find you

I have other custom moves I'd love to hear feedback on as well, but I don't actually have my sheets with me right now, and I haven't used any of them more than about once, so I don't remember the details well enough.
  • edited August 2010
    Slave Pits move: Having a good hot means you're in control of your hotness, whatever it is. You make it work for you. It doesn't just mean you look pretty. In fact, you can look pretty and have hot-1. You can also look fucked-up and have hot+3. I'd definitely flip it around to work like a normal move.
  • edited August 2010
    John: Hm. That makes a lot of sense.

I wasn't trying to imply that Hot just meant you were pretty, but I did discount the control aspect. Confidence and control are big parts of being 'attractive', huh?

Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Actually, I don't think the inverse move makes any sense. Assuming that hotness isn't skin-deep (heh), why would people with low Hot get noticed at all? Is there any way to salvage the move so it makes sense?

The context of the move is important, I think: the Slave Pits are in the ruins of a dense urban area (an overworld dungeon, if you will). In this environment Hot doesn't have much salience--even the Skinner, should he find himself in these slums, wouldn't really be thinking about his appearance too much. I was going for an in-the-moment thing--what people think of at first glance.

I think in that context, if you're attractive you can't really hide it. You hold yourself a certain way, you say certain things, you do certain things. Even a scarred up thug will be noticed for his posture and movements, etc.

I think what I'll do is only unload this move when it seems relevant. If someone is Hotting their way around the Pits, for example. Or if fictional circumstances dictate that it makes sense. Perhaps as a sub-move direct attached to the seduction/manipulation moves? "Hey, he thinks you're so pretty that he gets some friends together and tries to enslave you!"

Maybe that too would be better captured by a hard move on a failed Hot roll. Thoughts?
  • When I ran it at Game Kastle last weekend:

When you drink from the river...
    Open your brain to the psychic maelstrom.

That was from one of my fronts, where there was a toxic river flowing from an old oil refinery in the distance.

Later, one of the PCs, the Brainer, was able to cow a chitonous hound, and it started to follow her. She said "I'm naming you Peaches!" and I said "sweet, now there's a move called..."

When you tell Peaches to do something...
    Roll+hot. On a 10+, Peaches does what you intend. On a 7-9, choose 1:
    -Peaches does what you intend, more or less
    -No one else gets hurt

Carl later said that I should treat it like a gang move. The two times the PC told Peaches to do something, a 5 and a 10 were rolled, so we didn't really play with the weak hit.
  • Posted By: framweardDo you think it's unfair to penalize people with good scores? I think this is all win, because even if you "fail", you get spotlight time and an interested thing happens to you!
    I have a custom move kind of like this, though it's only been used once. It's also not nearly as much of a "penalty" in my game. It goes something like this (posting from memory):
    When you enter Isle's place...
    Roll+hot. On a 10+ you catch Isle's attention. On a 7-9 you catch the attention of one of Isle's boys or girls.

Isle would be a skinner if she was a PC. She runs the only real bar/club type place in the holding. So yeah, it was based on the assumption that a high hot means the character is impressive in some potentially obvious way. But it just means the PC is more likely to draw the attention of someone who might make his or her life "interesting."

I have a couple other custom moves that make it more likely that something "interesting" happens to someone, without any conscious choice/action on their part, if they have a high stat. I think the others are based on weird. In particular, if weird people in my game listen to the Maw (a big f-ing crack in the ground) they're more likely to gain strange insights into their problems, but also become addicted to listening to it, and fall under its thrall.
  • A few custom moves from our play-test game:

Banging the Gong
    When someone takes the drug, roll +Cool.

On a 10+ treat it as a full hit for Opening Your Brain, with the MC giving information about a current, relevant situation and asking a question. This should include a vivid hallucination that may or may not be relevant. Also, choose one from the list.

On a 7-9, choose 2. On a miss, take them all.
    • Everything feels all right, you have no worries (take +1 Cool, -1 Sharp for the duration)
    • Dude, you’re tripping! (take +1 Weird, -1 Sharp for the duration)
    • You are addicted (raise monthly upkeep +1 barter)
    • Take 1 Harm for the duration, or until treated

Duration is relative, and up to the MC; it could be a day or a game session.

To kick the addiction, a PC will need to be treated by an Angel (biochems) or they can try to “seize soberness by force” against a 2 harm opponent

-------------------------

Finding Your Way
    When a PC wants to get from point A to point B on the Open Road, give them a map and have them draw a path through the ruins and then roll+Sharp.

On a 10+, take all three. On a 7-9, take the first one and choose one more:
    • Add a marker for a known threat or obstacle along your route
    • Add a marker for a known resource well outside your route, but worth a detour
    • Add two markers- one for a known resource along your route and another for a threat or obstacle.

A resource is something you might need or want worth 2-barter

On a miss, you can speak confidently about the route but you’re just guessing. Feel free to put markers on the map and the MC will let you know how wrong you are!

-------------------------

Avoiding the Withers

The “Withers” is one name for a strange disease associated with the wastelands and those who dwell in it. Consuming plants, animals, and water in the wastes are all vectors for the disease. Symptoms include the shakes, blood shot eyes, fever, a voracious appetite, and madness.

When surviving in the wastes (drinking water, eating game, etc.), roll+Hard.
    On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose three. On a miss, take them all (with effects possibly developing over time)

• You feel awful- you’re pale, and your guts are on fire; mark the 7:00-9:00 Harm box (won’t improve without treatment)
    • You’re ravenous and thirsty; double your monthly upkeep (2-barter instead of 1-barter)
    • You’re nervous, twitchy and a little delusional; lower Cool by 1, raise Weird by 1
    • You’re distracted, your eyes hurt, and what is that sound? Lower Sharp by 1, raise Weird by 1

The effects come on gradually and remain until you receive treatment (requiring biostabs or biochems for stabilization, and then rest and clean liquids). Continued exposure can bring the disease back, or make it worse.
  • Posted By: Steve Segedythey can try to “seize soberness by force” against a 2 harm opponent
    That's interesting, since the current rules say that seizing by force pretty much needs to involve FORCE, goddamn it! Is this something that was different during the playtest, or would this technically be a custom move just very similar to seizing by force? Cuz otherwise, I think you'd be needing to wield weapons and fists against your addiction. To quote the text "this is a move for when the guns and knives and crowbars are already out on both sides." Don't get me wrong, though: I love the idea of it. :)
    Posted By: Steve SegedyYou feel awful- you’re pale, and your guts are on fire; mark the 7:00-9:00 Harm box (won’t improve without treatment)
    This is also really interesting. I assume you mean the 6:00-9:00 segment, but aside from that... if you aren't harmed at all, or aren't harmed to 6:00, do you leave the lesser harm segments still blank? The idea of skipping over a couple segments never occurred to me before.
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: fnord3125I assume you mean the 6:00-9:00 segment
    You're right, my mistake. The intent is to put it between what would heal or worsen on it's own. I have no idea whether it's kosher to skip segments of Harm, but I think it makes sense- being sick makes you more fragile, more likely to suffer from a wound that should heal normally.
    Posted By: fnord3125That's interesting, since the current rules say that seizing by force pretty much needs to involve FORCE
    Yeah, I'm no evangelist about the text, but I think this meets the spirit of the rules for Seize by Force- the character wants something and both sides of the conflict are ready to do harm over it. In any case, it's a custom move, so you could always detail the specifics without actually calling it Seize by Force if that works better for you.
  • Posted By: Steve SegedyYou're right, my mistake. The intent is to put it between what would heal or worsen on it's own. I have no idea whether it's kosher to skip segments of Harm, but I think it makes sense- being sick makes you more fragile, more likely to suffer from a wound that should heal normally.
    Yeah, it's a cool idea. If you had one segment filled, or took one harm after getting sick, some bruises or whatever that should get better on their own in a few days won't. And it does that without needing to add a rule saying, "You don't heal naturally while you're sick." AFAIK, there isn't anything in the rules that say you CAN'T skip segments... it just always talks about it with the assumption that you're moving forward or back around the circle. Either way, it's a cool way to do something with disease.
    Posted By: Steve SegedyI think this meets the spirit of the rules for Seize by Force- the character wants something and both sides of the conflict are ready to do harm over it. In any case, it's a custom move, so you could always detail the specifics without actually calling it Seize by Force if that works better for you.
    Yeah, it's all cool. I was mostly just wondering if there was a difference in how much Seize by Force was supposed to be about hitting and shooting people when you were playtesting.