Maps

edited August 2010 in Story Games
A few weeks ago, I ran a Mouse Guard game set in Forest Arden of Roger Zelazny's Amber. Here's the map I made for that game. I printed the map out on 4 sheets of paper for a finished final size of 17" by 22", and the map was scaled for that size (I suspect text will be difficult to read if printed out on a single 8.5x11 sheet).

Who else has done some fun mapping lately?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    This is the map for a Chronica Feudalis game I was running. The foundation of the map was made with the Greenfish Relief Map Generator, then I added elements onto it from other maps I wrangled from the internet which fit the aesthetic that I wanted.

Orkfen.jpg
  • Here's the plane map for our current Soft Horizon playtest campaign.

• Posted By: C. EdwardsThe foundation of the map was made with theGreenfish Relief Map Generator
    Sweet! Too bad for me it's Windows-only. But I love the disclaimer on that Softpedia page:

"It is important to keep in mind that these are fictious maps and the rendered towns and other settlements do not actually exist."

I could see that someone could really get in trouble if they tried to use such a map for driving directions. Or maybe they'd end up like Milo in The Phantom Tollbooth...
  • edited August 2010
    Here is a map of Near (TSOY) I did a while ago:

nearmapsnow.th.jpg
    World of Near

I used the tutorials from the cartographer's guild and some maps from the net as source.
  • edited August 2010
    Hell, might as well share the map I did for Ring of Changes- trying to evoke that black & white textbook feel.

http://chthonic.150m.com/scratch/map_smaller.png
  • edited August 2010
    I set my Mouse Guard game in Cook Forest. Before Cook saved it, people used to call it the Black Forest, which I thought fit a Mouse Guard game pretty well and helped provide a nice reminder that this isn't just Cook Forest, it's Cook Forest as mice see it. So, I made a map of it.

The Black Forest

I'm really proud of this map. I started with a map of Cook Forest, starting with the Clarion River (what the mice call the Alder River), and the streams flowing into it, like Tom’s Run (Thomm’s Run). Next, I marked the old-growth timber areas, where the mice would probably build their mouseholds. I added a few others at what seemed like key areas: some places where streams converge, Marshtun at the Wetland Treatment System, things like that. Based on that, I filled in a few other settlements, like Rockpointe at Seneca Point. Other mouseholds looked too far to justify roads; instead, they would probably rely on the waterways. But they sat back from the streams, so they would need ports, like Rome had Ostia. So, I added places like Thursport for Thursted, Sapford for Acbury, and Cenport for Cenbarrow.

With the settlements established, I added roads connecting them. I followed the contours of the topography; mice would try to avoid uphill slogs as much as we would, and that gave the roads a natural back-and-forth. With roads and settlements established, I added the Scent Border to enclose it all. Then, I did it all up in the same typeface and colors that David Petersen used for his maps.

I've actually got a poster of this map. My wife made clay mouse pawns, like you see on the map in the comics, and we use it when we play to see where the patrol has gone.
  • @Lee Short - that looks like one the CC3 styles. Is it?
  • edited August 2010
    Ben; your map is of an interesting type; showing the historical ebbs and flows of a nations borders. I've been trying out different map-types for my novel, amongst them the battle-map, the explorers map and the old-type road-map. I've not done a political map like yours, but I find it quite interesting. Drawing different types of maps is quite fun!
  • edited August 2010

Another Mouse Guard themed map, this one for Army of Shadows, a 1940s resistance hack I've been working on for what seems like forever.
    John
  • Hey John,

Is that map based on real world geography? I'm curious where the game is set.
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: C. EdwardsHey John,

Is that map based on real world geography? I'm curious where the game is set.
    No, it's the Territories map from Mouse Guard + Photoshop. The game is set in the Mouse Territories, but in 1941.
    John
  • Posted By: John AndersonNo, it's the Territories map from Mouse Guard + Photoshop. The game is set in the Mouse Territories, but in 1941.
    John
    A Maus-esque, Weasels-have-German-accents affair?
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: C. EdwardsIs that map based on real world geography? I'm curious where the game is set.
    I did several Mouse Guard maps last winter, based on the woods east of Oslo, Norway. Felt very nice doing it like that. Those woods are my favorite hiking grounds, so to be playing high and squeaky drama in that setting really got my creative wheels running ...

(sorry; don't have a digitalized version of the map)

Really like your map, John; very war-like in its feel! Great work!
  • Simon -- yes, it's the Fantasy Realms style from the annual. The font is Hobbiton Brushhand.

Most of the maps are for Mouse Guard! Must be something he puts on the paper.

Here's the world map of the Coin, the setting for a sprawling Troubles & Treasures (microlite20) campaign my good friend Jarrah has been running for almost a year and a half. (the map is much, much younger than the campaign). The great thing about this map is that it's drawn at high enough resolution that we can take individual regions and zoom in to create regional maps... which is exactly what we've done, seeing as we haven't left the upper left Arabian-esque corner of the Coin since before there was a map.
  • edited August 2010
    Here is the map for our long (well long for me) running Burning Wheel game. Thanks to Lexifab (Dave V) for the artistry.

*edit = uploaded a smaller version.
  • edited August 2010
    Beautiful globe, John! It actually made me envious! I've always wanted a globe-map for my gameworld Fabula, and have never had the patience (or skill?) to draw it. The simplicity of your map makes it all the more beautiful! And some of the names speaks volumes with their humor; "Bongonesia" alluding to the pacific islands (Polynesia) and "Zwuyala" alluding to Africa. I like such naming!

"Terra Caelus" really speaks to me, Steve. The names are great, the iconography got just the right roughness, and it looks thoroughly played. :-)

I would have liked to post a map of mine here, but I do not know how to do it. Sigh! So; here is a link to an old map of mine, on the site for Fabula: the desert region of Gnosis.
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: PotemkinAMaus-esque, Weasels-have-German-accents affair?
    I don't want to derail this excellent thread, so more (not a lot more to be fair) information here..
    John
  • edited August 2010
    Storn's beautiful first map for our 13 Cities campaign. So many little details became the subjects of mini-campaigns.

This is a map I paid Storn to do for our Orc in Enemy Lands campaign:

• edited August 2010
    Greenwood Space Travel Supply in Seattle has this great retro-scifi map of the Milky Way & Solar System. I'll be using it for Savage Worlds Slipstream, Rocket Squad, and/or Danger Patrol!
  • edited August 2010
    A hand-drawn map from an old D&D campaign. I have always been proud of it, although some of the place names are a little cringe-worthy ten years later.

• WestFail FTW! 8)
  • edited August 2010
    Storns maps are beautiful!

John; those starmaps got some extraordinary eye-catching qualities! Great!

Brian: that is a kind of map I like to have for my region-niveau; dense in detail, simple icons and light coloring. Beautiful!

This thread is very inspiring!
  • edited August 2010
    Here's a regional map for a play-by-post D&D 3.5 game I'm running:

The astute and/or old among you will note that the "city" and "village" symbols were appropriated from the old Greyhawk hex map.

I like the "ink and parchment" style because it looks like I've put a lot more effort into in than I really have. So I decided to use it for the battlemaps too, rather than the "endlessly messing around in Dundjinni trying to get everything just right" method I'd originally been planning.

• edited August 2010
    Double post, sorry.
  • edited August 2010
    The map over Gloria, a small nation in my fantasy-world (sry, I can't manage to get it posted here). This was used as a reference-map in a campaign led by a friend of mine.
  • Posted By: Lee ShortA few weeks ago, I ran a Mouse Guard game set in Forest Arden of Roger Zelazny's Amber. Here's the map I made for that game. I printed the map out on 4 sheets of paper for a finished final size of 17" by 22", and the map was scaled for that size (I suspect text will be difficult to read if printed out on a single 8.5x11 sheet).
    I'm sorry I didn't see this before. Was this MG game set in Julian's Rangers? If so, too cool for you!
  • Very impressed by retro sci-fi map and Ron's AD&D map.

I have produced one of my own maps, mostly as an artistic exercise.
  • edited August 2010
    Jason; as you call it an artistic exercise, I'll try a bit of constructive criticism:

- landmass and sea are too close in texture. Try making the sea more whirly or dynamic in some way
    - try dividing lowlands into wilderness and cultivated
    - roads are too smooth and straight
    - emphasize the rivers a bit more

- good forests
    - good mountains
    - "Torngat wastes" is a nice touch; with no towns
    - naming is good

Hope this helps! :-)
  • Posted By: Saint&SinnerPosted By: Lee ShortA few weeks ago, I ran a Mouse Guard game set in Forest Arden of Roger Zelazny's Amber. Here's the map I made for that game. I printed the map out on 4 sheets of paper for a finished final size of 17" by 22", and the map was scaled for that size (I suspect text will be difficult to read if printed out on a single 8.5x11 sheet).
    I'm sorry I didn't see this before. Was this MG game set in Julian's Rangers? If so, too cool for you!

Julian's Rangers were kind of the big guns in the setting, who might be appealed to in unusual circumstances, but would mostly just ignore the mice.