Stuff to Watch: August 2010

edited August 2010 in Stuff to Watch
Since no one else has started this yet ...
Again, our "official" (scarequotes!) rules summary for these threads:

-----
1. Feel free to respond here in-thread to another link posted.
a. If you're looking to start a conversation, perhaps take your comment and create a new thread with it in the Stuff to Watch category.
b. Otherwise, to prevent too many comments in the thread, number your response (first response: [1]; second response [2]; third response [3]). If you see that you're the second person to post, "Wow, that looks cool!" to a post here, then put a "[2]" at the top of your post. Three posts ([3]) is the limit: The fourth person to post should just take their comment and create a new thread, to carry the discussion over there further.
-----
Why?

Because these threads are great: We can link to little things being talked about on the web in general, on blogs, or other forums that might be noteworthy, without having to dedicate a new thread to each and every one (although that, too, is fine if you want to discuss the item further or "open up a discussion").
Responding to these posts with a comment or two is understandable (other times there might be no comments, just cause the link was self-explanatory: nothing to say, lots of heads nodding in agreement). But we don't want to create a huge discussion in the middle of the thread: Some folks get a lot out of these threads, and don't want to look back to see the "10 latest posts" just to see that it's a heated discussion of something from a previous page. Cool? Cool.
-----

Comments

• On rpg.net, we have an Owlbear Apocalypse!
  • Over at the Collective Endeavour, we've been digging into the question of campaigns - why do many story games tend towards one-shots and trad games towards extended play? What techniques can be used to keep a campaign going? And what would a hypothetical "story game" campaign supplement look like?
  • edited August 2010
    [moved elsewhere]
  • edited August 2010
  • Q-Workshop's goofy promotional video about new changes in their business, despite the objections of some in the elvish labor union.
  • (Q-workshop 1)

The weird thing is that the elves are more believable than the guys in suits.
  • Indie Games Explosion mentioned in io9.com article about Gencon.

Dungeons and Dragons too mainstream for you? There's a whole universe of plucky designers who craft cutting edge games that are independently published and often push the boundaries of traditional role playing games. Seek out in the vendor hall booths participating in the Indie Games Explosion line-up and chat one on one with the designers.

I have the pleasure of knowing many of the designers, and I'm psyched to see their efforts come to life at the convention. Among the many indie games available I'm personally excited for: sci-fi (Apocalypse World, Freemarket, Happy Birthday Robot, Misspent Youth, Remember Tomorrow, Time and Temp), fantasy (Burning Wheel: Adventure Burner, How We Came To Live Here, Swords Without Master), action adventure (Blowback), horror (Annalise, Dread House), mystery (A Taste For Murder) and party games with text-based adventure flavor (Parsley Games: Action Castle, Space Station, Spooky Manor).
  • [i09 1]

Yay! "The indie game folks have organized a games on demand that's blissfully free of pre-registration (stay posted on twitter.com/Games_On_Demand). Just show up and be willing to try an independently produced game that's off the beaten path."
  • edited August 2010
    I'm bringing an updated version of Tony Dowler's Dungeon World (the D&D/Apocalypse World hack) to GenCon, and I've posted it online for everyone to play. It's Tony's rules plus new classes, the return of races and alignment, new moves all over, new spells, and revised everything, in a sparkling new layout. And now you don't even need an AD&D player's handbook to play!

Big thanks to Tony Dowler, Adam (skinnyghost) and John Harper for making it happen.
  • [Dungeon World 1]
    Yessss! Now I just wish I could sell my group on this instead of Pathfinder for our regular dungeoncrawl.
  • [io9 2] I sincerely hope y'all are ready for that. You're going to be SLAMMED, I bet. io9 has a pretty huge following; and "free, no-reg gaming" is going to attract a lot of folks with tight budgets or diverse interests (i.e. schedule conflict with "normal" gaming slots).

VERY cool... but you might be "slash-dotted."
  • 1:
    Posted By: Ryan MacklinI started up Master Plan again.
    Awesome! I'm looking forward to this! My ipod was a little lacking on the rpg podcasts...
  • The Ghosts of World War II's Past.

This is just straight up cool.

But I'm going to incorporate the idea into my Apocalypse World game's psychic maelstrom somehow...
  • THe Diana Jones Award goes to... BOARDGAMEGEEK.COM!

-Andy
  • Tragically...we just lost Google Wave.

So much potential, so badly executed.
  • edited August 2010
    [New FM interview 1]

Good interview. It seems like they always have something new to say about the game, even after, I dunno, five, six interviews? And the art previews were great. But what's this?: "Luke Crane and Jared Sorensen are sometimes referred to as godfathers of the indie game scene" Has anyone, ever, said that? Or is this guy just scrounging about for an interesting way to say "they make great games and are influential"?
  • [Wave 1]

Yeah, the news suck. I hope they give us an easy way to extract the data en-masse because I've been using it for srsbzns for some time now.

Fortunately, the cat is out of the bag, the code for the server is public and the protocol is available... at least potentially there is still the possibility of independent federated wave servers rising.
  • [Ghosts of World War IIs Past 1]

I have to agree, I've been tremendously impress by those bits of photo manipulation. Like your thoughts on Apocalypse World, I've been trying to work out how to use stuff like that in Cold City and Hot War. I mean, Cold City especially is just begging for that kind of thing!

Cheers
    Malcolm
  • Do you love warriors? Do you love computer programming (or want to learn it)? Then you will love Ruby Warrior.

You play as a warrior climbing a tall tower to reach the precious Ruby at the top level. On each floor you need to write a Ruby script to instruct the warrior to battle enemies, rescue captives, and reach the stairs. You have some idea of what each floor contains, but you never know for certain what will happen. You must give the Warrior enough artificial intelligence up-front to find his own way.
  • [Ruby Warrior 1]

That's freaking awesome! A great excuse to pick up the Ruby book I bought a couple years ago.
  • Fastaval call for scenarios for 2011 has been announced (Danish). Klaus & Kristo has promised an English announcement shortly.

Synopsis deadline is 1st September.
  • 20 minutes into the future...MAX HEADROOM is finally released onto DVD in the States.

This was the show (and movie) that made me want to play the old R. Talsorian game of Cyberpunk. Good, good stuff.

Of course, it seems a bit dated now, but how can anyone not enjoy a 1980's vision of a dystopian media-controlled future with body banks and punk luddites roaming the streets?
  • [Max Headroom 1]

F— yes! I've been waiting for this to come out forever. Though it probably won't include both British and American versions of the pilot, which is too bad.
  • [Max Headroom - 2]

That is so awesome, I have been dying to see this as I only have vague recollections of this show and really want to to see it as an adult!
  • edited August 2010
    Am I missing something? It's a pretty accurate view of some disfunctional gamers, voiced by what seems to be a vocoder. I found it kind of depressing, actually.
    Posted By: Caesar_XWhat roleplaying game should we play?
  • A gorgeous piece of breakdancing in the rain. Not sure how old this is, or even if it's real (some of the stuff they do smells of CG—whaddya think?), but it's new to me, and nice to watch for 3 mins.
  • edited August 2010
    [breakdancing 1]

Pedant: they're mostly popping and gliding, not breakdancing. And it looks entirely real to me -- the reason some of it looks unreal is a) they're pretty damn good and more importantly b) the video doesn't seem to be running at full speed. I'm guessing this was to match it up with the beat of the music -- they were probably dancing to something else -- but it has the side effect of showing off just how ridiculous some of those moves are.
  • Because it's funny,

Yet another Why a Sword discussion over on the Burning Wheel forums-

Swords again!!!!! Arggghhh

This one is more amusing then usual because Luke answers and the Odie wins with the best answer and everyone proceeds to ignore them.
  • edited August 2010
    [new FM interview 2]
    Posted By: hans otterson"Luke Crane and Jared Sorensen are sometimes referred to as godfathers of the indie game scene"Has anyone,ever, said that?
    Actually, Jared said Ron Edwards was the godfather of indie games.
  • Posted By: akooserBecause it's funny,

Yet another Why a Sword discussion over on the Burning Wheel forums-

Swords again!!!!! Arggghhh

This one is more amusing then usual because Luke answers and the Odie wins with the best answer and everyone proceeds to ignore them.
    [Swords 1]

Maybe because both answers were actually pretty piss-poor from a historical point of view, because it assumes all of those people who historically preferred swords were some kind of idiots? I don't really see any humor there.
  • [Swords 2]

Peter, you know how car crashes are funny? And then you know how after you've seen a dozen car crashes, they are still funny? That's the humour there.

What do you mean car crashes aren't funny?
  • Over the next few days, keep an eye out for the game "KUNG FU FIGHT" aka "SAGEFIGHT" over the next few days. Solis came up with a group game so refreshingly and deceptively fun, it's fucking fantastic. It's the new Jungle Speed.

Don't worry: Lots of videos (including instructional videos) and pictures were taken so you will be able to play. Just keep your eye out for the thread in the next few days (when Daniel and others get back home/to the Internets).

-Andy
  • edited August 2010

Wil Wheaton and co. after playing my (as yet unreleased) Raymond Chandler's Los Angeles 1936 Fiasco playset at GenCon.

Macklin appears to be sad that his Bulleit Bourbon is almost gone.

Someone appears to have have substituted "Happy Macklin" into the picture. I want my "Sad Macklin" back!!
  • [1] I heard Ryan gave Wil Wheaton pink-eye.
  • edited August 2010
    I guess those of you outside of the UK maybe won't have seen Sherlock, the BBC's updating of Sherlock Holmes to modern-day London in a Doctor Who-stylee. And in fact it feels a lot like the crime fiction version of whatever Dr Who is to science fiction.

But it makes me want to write a game with one super-genius deductive PC, whose goals are completely different (and sometimes at odds) to the other PCs, who are just trying to keep him alive.
  • Fake Lucas Lee movie posters from the Scott Pilgrim movie. It's way too easy to see these as story games...
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: Neko EwenFake Lucas Lee movie posters from the Scott Pilgrim movie.It's way too easy to see these as story games...
    [Lucas Lee 1]

What! Lucas Lee, a Chinese dude in the comic, is being played by Chris Evans? I expect it of something like The Last Airbender, but Scott Pilgrim? Lame.
  • [FM Interview 3]
    Posted By: noclue[new FM interview 2]

Posted By: hans otterson"Luke Crane and Jared Sorensen are sometimes referred to as godfathers of the indie game scene"Has anyone,ever, said that?
    Actually, Jared said Ron Edwards was the godfather of indie games.

I think it was in my old Wikipedia entry before some schmoe deleted it.
  • Posted By: hans ottersonPosted By: Neko EwenFake Lucas Lee movie posters from the Scott Pilgrim movie.It's way too easy to see these as story games...
    [Lucas Lee 1]

What! Lucas Lee, a Chinese dude in the comic, is being played by Chris Evans? I expect it of something likeThe Last Airbender, butScott Pilgrim? Lame.

[Lucas Lee 2] - Have you seen any of the trailers for the movie? Cause Chris Evans is pure awesome-sauce in them.

I would so see an Action Doctor movie!

- Colin
  • My brother just pointed me at Kill Screen, a new journal/magazine where some really smart folks talk about video games. Their TOC for the first issue is up here and looks amazing. Their submission guidelines are up here, if any of you folks think of anything smart to say.
  • So there was a new Trail of Cthulu scenario at GenCon by Graham Walmsley called Dance In Blood (or The Dance in Blood?). I don't see it on the Pelgrane site yet, but it's new. Anyway, the scenario is FANTASTIC. Really fun, really scary in an "I'm really glad I played this in the middle of the afternoon" kind of way.

Also, How We Came to Live Here is cool.

We already know that Fiasco is awesome, but I'll say it again. Fiasco is awesome.
  • You may or may not be familiar with Stack Overflow, the crowdsourced Q&A site. It has a couple of sisters, including Server Fault for sysadmins. They're opening up the framework to new sites, via a process that gauges support. Now there's a Roleplaying proposal up. If you like answering or asking questions about RPGs, this might be interesting to you. Can't hurt to have some storygame-focused people there.
  • [1 Kill Screen]

My Life with Master is one of Kill Screen's favorite games.
  • [Wheaton Fiasco 2]

Macklin's fan-bourbon was a welcome addition to a great Fiasco playset, for sure. Much fun was had by all. Good work on that playset, sir.
  • Fuck Yeah, Gamemasters needs more fuckin' gamemasters you love. Surely you love some GM, right? Some Hollyhock God? Some narrative facilitator?