"Love Mythender, love me true..."

edited July 2010 in Story Games
Ok, sorry about the bad pun, but still, Dresden Files is out, so now Ryan can work full time on Mythender.

Isn't it Ryan ?

You don't know what Mythender is ? Shame on you ! Start here.
Daniel Solis calls it “Nobilis by way of D&D.” Daniel is better at pitching my game than I am.

Comments

• Oh, and Master Plan can come back! I'm so glad Ryan has all this free time to do the things we want him to do!
  • I'm afraid the changes at IPR might detract him from these activities :)
  • My Dresden Files work ends tomorrow, with the local Dresdacon at Endgame Oakland. Day after that, I move into my new apartment.

Guess what happens after that?

Okay, Franck is right that it's IPR work. But after that...!

But, what the hell. Anything you guys are dying to know about the game right now? Talking about it will amp me up some.

- Ryan
  • edited July 2010
    All right !

First of all, I love your intro text and yes I would like to know your "philosophy of game text openers".

Is the game still in playtest ?

Have you already chose an artist to illustrate the game ? Who and why ?

What is left to do ?

How can we help ?

You know, the usual...

EDIT : just one small thing, I don't need a release date, just to know that you still want to finish your game.
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinBut, what the hell. Anything you guys are dying to know about the game right now? Talking about it will amp me up some.
    My only question is...

Would kidnapping you and holding you prisoner in a remote cabin, Misery style, help you get Mythender done any sooner?

I've been jonesing to see Mythender's completion since I first heard you talk about it in the Master Plan.
  • Posted By: Kobayashi

What kind of art will you use?
  • Will the boxed set include lightning tokens made of Zocchi plastic, sharp enough to shave mighty Achilles?
  • Can I run it with GURPS? I really like GURPS.
  • Will it help me find the woman of my dreams? I buried her in this one place, but I lost the map.....
  • Posted By: GrahamCan I run it with GURPS? I really like GURPS.
    Only Mind GURPS
  • edited July 2010
    Posted By: KobayashiFirst of all, I love your intro text and yes I would like to know your "philosophy of game text openers".

Is the game still in playtest ?

What is left to do ?

How can we help ?

You know, the usual...

EDIT : just one small thing, I don't need a release date, just to know that you still want to finish your game.
    The philosophy of game text openers is probably its own blog post. And I've been meaning to blog more, but for the moment I'm working around 50+ hours a week, and no one pays me to blog (or to do Master Plan).

I wouldn't say I'm aggressively playtesting Mythender anymore. But I have decided that all games are in development up until you submit it to the printer. And I do occasionally bring it out, partly to remind myself how it works. (I let it sit since January, and played two games of it last month at GPNW and Origins. That turns out to be awesome, because the last of the "unsolvable" problems were solve by reexamining the game from a distance.)

Christian St. Pierre and I have been talking off and on. We're both *very* interested in working together, but we haven't committed yet because I need the text more or less done so I know what I need art for. I like him, we have a rapport, and I like his line art style. He does good horror fantasy, and I think he can bring what I want to Mythender. And I'll be working with Daniel Solis for layout. Wait, I'm sorry, I mean Daniel Fucking Solis.

What's left to do? Writing the damned thing. Butt-in-chair. Then first round editing, then beta playtesting. I want to make sure the text is usable by others. I have had 70 people play Mythender is various states, which has helped me refine the math, the conceit, the language choices, the way I explain things at the table, etc. but that's useless if I fuck it up in the book.

How can you help? I'll be mouthy about getting beta playtesters, when the time comes. And it seems that harassment is working to remind me people want it. :D

The usual? In the morning, a vanilla latte with no foam. In the evening, a Manhattan.

Wait, you didn't mean that.

I'm not going to give a release date, because it's not done enough to where I can see the future. Working with others means meshing schedules, so I can't just declare when I'm going to have it ready. I'd *like* to have it out by next con season. We'll see. But I totally am keen to finish it. I want to show the world my little epic fantasy story game that uses more dice than your mother.

I'll answer more later, but I'm swamped with work right now. :)

Thanks! \m/

- Ryan
  • Posted By: KobayashiOk, sorry about the bad pun
    WRONG.

You have forged the best pun on all of the internets.

Ryan: i have a hilarious (different) word-play deviation of Mythender to make up, as soon as you have a playable version of the game.
    Likely it won't be as sweet by half as ME is, but that has never stopped me.

C'mon, killers!
  • edited July 2010
    Posted By: jackson teguRyan: i have a hilarious (different) word-play deviation of Mythender to make up, as soon as you have a playable version of the game.
    If it's playing as the Build Team from Mythbusters, Carl Rigney came up with that idea many moons ago. ;)

And Sophie's misreading of "My Thender" has left me figuring out what a Thender is, to stat it up for the game. Perhaps that's a content entry.

Oh, and Daniel Solis just wrote down the word "Mythbender." *THROWS THE FUCKING HORNS* \m/ \m/

But, here's something I have been thinking about for the last 18 months, as a potential follow-up micro product: REICHENDER.
    It's an alternate WWII setting where the Manhattan Project was a super soldier serum, and the Axis refined theirs first. So, you have an army of Übermenschen who have conquered the world. You're part of a ragtag underground who has realized that the way to return freedom to the world isn't to build a *safe* serum like the Axis has, but one that can overpower.

Or, it's about how the line between being Captain America (hero of a people) and being the Hulk (a source of fear and justification for the conquering Axis that has sworn to purge you). I have a few notes down about how the game changes as this scale, but that's as far as I'm allowing myself before Mythender itself is done. Still, just saying that to say "yes, we're all about the wordplay on Team Mythender!"
    Posted By: 14thWarriorWould kidnapping you and holding you prisoner in a remote cabin, Misery style, help you get Mythender done any sooner?
    Nope, but doing that to others and signing over their paychecks to me would!
    Posted By: CathrakWhat kind of art will you use?
    That's something that Team Mythender needs to talk about in depth. I have a vision right now, but I don't want to get into detail because I assume the vision will only get better as the Team talks.

That, and there are some financial logistics involved in what we're likely planning, so I don't want to get hopes up if it turns out non-feasible.
    Posted By: johnzoWill the boxed set include lightning tokens made of Zocchi plastic, sharp enough to shave mighty Achilles?
    Many of is keep joking that we need to do a box set edition that has the 150 or so dice you need, the lighting tokens, the might tokens, and all that. Because if there's one thing gamers totally want, it's to pay a crapton for shipping of stuff they already own. :D
    Posted By: GrahamCan I run it with GURPS? I really like GURPS.
    If you asked me earlier, yes. But someone already Ended the concept of GURPS. Sorry.
    (Also, man, you don't even want to get me started on GURPS. I loved the hell of out my GURPS 3/e & 4/e stuff.)
    Posted By: spookyfanboyWill it help me find the woman of my dreams? I buried her in this one place, but I lost the map.....
    Sadly, no. But don't despair! Instead, you can:
    * End the concept of dream women
    * End the concept of being buried
    * End the concept of needing maps
    etc.
    So, it's like the whole "give a man a fish/teach a man to End the fuck out of concepts that inconvenience him" sort of thing.

This has been fun! I'm around if y'all have any more questions.

- Ryan
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinHow can you help? I'll be mouthy about getting beta playtesters, when the time comes. And it seems that harassment is working to remind me people want it. :D
    I eagerly await for this. F*** yeah!!!

I have to say I have been craving to play it for a long while, since I first heard about it (an AP at Story-Games, if I recall correctly). Come on! I even have my very own project heavily influenced by Mythender by now!

So, yeah. It's not even final and the game already has fans in Mexico.