[Dvreem] New free diceless 2-player RPG

edited March 2014 in Directed Promotion
UPDATE March 2014 -- Two drafts later, the game is now Nine Powers.

Good afternoon!

My wife and I could not find an RPG designed for only two people (GM and one PC). So I wrote one. Then we decided I should change it to a diceless game, now named Dvreem.

Since my wife and I play it often, I am primarily asking for feedback about presentation. Is it readable? Organized? Is the web page easily navigable? Do the examples work well? Etc.

But if you want do play it, please let me know what you think!

Even constructive criticism about only one aspect of the game would be appreciated. The rules are short and simple. Before the rules are long sections, full of examples, containing nearly all I know about how to play an RPG. After the rules is an incomplete fantasy setting I am still busy typing about.

(I was going to wait longer to share the game here, but then it made sense to mention it in this discussion. So now I might as well introduce it more formally.)

Thank you for any constructive feedback! Enjoy!

Comments

• Thank you!
  • I find it hard to read - that is, it's a bit intimidating with lots of text on one page, and the layout (with links and tables) looks a bit like a technical manual or something.

I'm more used to reading PDFs, with design that tries to evoke an atmosphere.

(This is just about the presentation - I've only read random snippets of the text itself).
  • It certainly is a "wall of text" at this point.

I'm currently trying to commission some illustrations from a young illustrator, which I hope will help it seem less like a help document. ;-)
  • I don't mind the format, personally: it's nice and clean for a webpage, and easy to read.

I'm not too keen on the mechanics--they're very GM-heavy for my tastes. In a two-player game, I'd like to see more avenues for the player to push around the game and the story.

That said, it's incredibly nice to see someone putting so much thought into how to play a game and describing it in clear language. So rare in this business of roleplaying games. Kudos!
  • edited July 2010
    Posted By: Paul T.I'm not too keen on the mechanics--they're very GM-heavy for my tastes. In a two-player game, I'd like to see more avenues for the player to push around the game and the story.

That said, it's incredibly nice to see someone putting so much thought into how to play a game and describing it in clear language. So rare in this business of roleplaying games. Kudos!
    Those two issues are actually related. Although it was not my original intention, I found myself writing an introduction to the genre and rules/setting appropriate for children. (I do need to rework the ending for the Mer example encounter.) Once I get a bunch sample adventures revised and included, it should be a friendly way for young kids to learn about RPGs. Most young kids I know prefer what my brain calls a "module heavy" approach, where their own creativity gets a supportive scaffolding. I acknowledge there are exceptions.

Anyway, the interesting way to turn your observation into some discussion here is to ask if if the rules themselves are GM-heavy, and if yes then do you see ways to make them less intrinsically so? In theory there's no reason a rule system cannot be GM-heavy-generic as well as setting-generic!
  • This looks very cool! Good work.