Cool Monster Art

edited June 2010 in Stuff to Watch
I found some cool monster art. In the words of the artist...

"born in Denmark 1978. I write and direct television shows for kids. I have a set of twins and not much time for anything. But when i have time i draw monsterdrawings on post-it notes... it is a little window into a different world, made on office supplies."

http://johnkenn.blogspot.com/

There's probably a game out there that these would be the perfect illustrations for. I want to play that game.

Comments

• whoa, thanks Ron. So beautiful and low-key. Edward Gorey meets Hayao Miyazaki.
  • I'm not sure about an existing game that these illos would suit, but they are great images and a game could easily be written to suit them. Personally I think a slightly creepy monster-based variant on Happy Birthday Robot would be a good choice. They have that child-friendly bubbliness to them.

-Ash
  • Wow. Those are AWESOME drawings. I especially like the fact that you draw them on post-it notes.

They inspire me.
  • May I ask a couple of process questions?

1. What types of pens/pencils/markers are you using.

2. How do these grow? Is it a fussy little process where you just start doodling judiciously and the idea spreads across the page or do you plan them out first with a light sketch?

3. What are the challenges of working on a Post-it Note? I happen to have a fetish for very small drawings and paintings. I find the scale to magical. It has something to do with looking through a microscope or into a fish tank. Miniature worlds and all that.
  • Beautiful stuff!
  • For some reason those monsters remind me alot of Princess Mononoke/Spirited Away/Moomin, especially the implied movements.
  • Posted By: docholadayWow. Those are AWESOME drawings. I especially like the fact that you draw them on post-it notes.

They inspire me.
    I don't draw them, this is just something I ran across on the internet and thought was cool. Sorry for the confusion. Initial post edited for clarity.
  • Oh. Cool. I will redirect my questions to the artist.

I really dig those drawings. Thanks for turning us on to them.
  • Lovely work. They're quite creepy, with the blank eyes, but I can't tell whether they're actually threatening... one gets the sense that the humans may be quite used to monsters turning up.