[Go Play NW] Pickup Game Roundup!

edited June 2010 in Meetups / Conventions
So the Go Play NW event pre-signups are over, but this isn't a signup thread. This is the opposite of a signup thread. This is a proud declaration of what I will bring to the GPNW Pickup Game Pool of Awesome Awesomeness. Other cool cats of the Pickup Patrol, post here as well to let folks know what's coming to the table--er, the hot tub!

These are the games I will be rip-roarin' ready to roll:

The Dreaming Crucible, my brand new game about facing the worst of your adolescence in a journey through Faerie. Slots: 2, Playtime: 1 1/2 hours

Spectre of the Beast, my maturing Game Chef entry on the bloody march of civilization as seen through people of bold ambition and the cultures they impact. Slots: 3, Playtime: 3-4 hours

Capes GMless superhero roleplaying! Power is fun, but do you deserve it? Click N Lock character creation and pulse-pounding pugilism! Slots: 3, Playtime: 3-4 hours

My Life With Master The life of a minion is a hard one. If only some one loved you... Slots: 3, Playtime: 4 hours

In a Wicked Age Sword and Sorcery with blood, sacrifice, ambition and tragedy. The Oracles set the stage and we tell the story! Slots: 4, Playtime: 3-4 hours

Maid Hijinks, farce, lacy dresses and incredible powers! Be prepared for random generation of Anime comedy fun! Slots: 4, Playtime: 3-4 hours

The Bullwinkle and Rocky Roleplaying Party Game Oh, yes. The puns. The spinners. The diplomas. The puppets. The TSR classic of 1988 comes your way, with much silliness and much getting of Moose and Squirrel! Slots: 4, Playtime: 3-4 hours? I'll be honest, I haven't yet run it.

Here's what I might be able to muster with some effort:

The Solar System scenarios "Rebellion in the Mushroom Kingdom!" and "The Skywalker Paradigm" Rebellion is like Wicked, but with Super Mario Bros. and Paradigm is, well, also like Wicked, but with Star Wars. Slots: 4, Playtime: 4 hours

Straight-up Shadow of Yesterday in the World of Near. Slots: 3, Playtime: 3-4 hours

Thy Vernal Chieftans by Paul Czege. Rewrite history as the fate of Celtic Britain is up for grabs! Slots: 3, Playtime: 3-4 hours

That's mine! What's yours? And everyone please chime in with interest in games--especially the "muster with effort" list!

Peace,
-Joel

Comments

• Posted By: Joel

The Bullwinkle and Rocky Roleplaying Party GameOh, yes. The puns. The spinners. The diplomas. The puppets. The TSR classic of 1984 comes your way, with much silliness and much getting of Moose and Squirrel!Slots: 4, Playtime: 3-4 hours? I'll be honest, I haven't yet run it.
    oh fuck. I wish I could be there.
  • I'd be down for running but my big secret is that I play on being a Player for the whole con because I'm always the guy running the games at home. That said, I haven't signed up for anything.

Shit I'll probably bring anyways: Lady Blackbird, GHOST/ECHO ORLY-STYLE, Dogs in the Vineyard, Nicotine Girls and anything else I can scrounge up.

Also, I could run Hatchet City or maybe a 2 or 3 slot APOCALYPSE WORLD for those of you who really want see what all the fuss is about. The only reason I'm hesitant is that three slots is a lot other stuff to miss out on. But that's always going to be case, AW or otherwise.

But man, I am excite to play!
  • Posted By: Joel
    The Bullwinkle and Rocky Roleplaying Party GameOh, yes. The puns. The spinners. The diplomas. The puppets. The TSR classic of 1984 comes your way, with much silliness and much getting of Moose and Squirrel!Slots: 4, Playtime: 3-4 hours? I'll be honest, I haven't yet run it.
    I seriously, seriously thought you made this up. Boggle.
  • I've got definite plans for semischeduled "pick-up" games of Apocalypse World (Hatchet City) and Nobilis, and could be persuaded to run additional slots of either of them if properly beseeched. I'll also be bringing Everway (no fortune deck, but that's what index cards and sharpies are for), Polaris, Ghost/Echo, 3:16, Lacuna, and DRYH/DLYM just in case, although I've never actually played the latter two, but they're all small books, so why not? I've also got a laptop with a number of pdfs too large to include in this margin, and a system of my own invention I've been tinkering with the last few weeks that I'd probably feel too awkward to playtest in a proper slot, but if people (including myself) are still wired afterwards and going back to same hotel (the one with the registered block whose name I don't recall off the top of my head), well, I've got my room to myself.

I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open for other people running Agon and Shock, which I've heard a lot about and have been kind of curious about but didn't want to buy sight unseen, and a chance to actually play a slot or even two of Apocalypse World wouldn't go amiss: I've run the hell out of that sucker, but only really been on the other side of the MC's Principles once or twice.
  • Ben, if you're interested in Agon, I could definitely stat up and be prepared to run an adventure. I'm kinda interested in running it again, especially after having a few conversations with John about aspects of the game that are perhaps not as explicit in the rules as they could be.

I also have the Fortune Deck for Everway (and the Harrow Deck from Pathfinder, which is different but also interesting), if you want me to bring it.

I'm going to prep a couple of the following (not sure yet which ones, but I do take requests):
    -- Mouse Guard
    -- Dogs in the Vineyard
    -- Mist-Robed Gate
    -- Geiger Counter
    -- Danger Patrol
    -- Montsegur 1244
  • I'm going to bring ACTION CASTLE! and JUNGLE ADVENTURE. I'm also really into facilitating Remember Tomorrow.
  • I'll have Sage's LB hack, Old Mesilla (a cool western thing).

I'll also have the Bag of Instant Indie Gaming (Poison'd, Mouse Guard, AW, Danger Patrol, Nine Worlds) but I'm gonna try really hard to play more this year and not run stuff the whole time.
  • Sweet, everyone!

My interests are: Blackbird, GHOST/ECHO, Mouse Guard, Montsegur, Action Castle, Poison'd. EsPECially Poison'd

We'll see how it goes!
  • Ideally, if I can muster the nerve, I'll run ACTION CASTLE for any and all who are willing or not playing anything else. I've seen it played with 60 people before (at PAX) and it was a riot.
  • Aha, just had a bolt of inspiration. I'm gonna prep for running Mist-Robed Gate set during the last days of Atlantis. Yes, that will do nicely...
  • Posted By: BrendanI seriously, seriously thought you made this up. Boggle.
    Nope, shit be REAL.
  • I'll have my Hackbird game John mentioned, Old Mesilla. Probably a few other low-prep games, I'm thinking My Life With Master, Kagematsu, Danger Patrol, Mouse Guard. Might even have the BW demo scenario The Sword on hand for anyone who hasn't played BW before.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm prepared to run ICONS, FATE-based & FASERIP-inspired Superheroes. Random roll heroes ready to go in 15 minutes!
  • edited June 2010
    I only have three slots left where I'm not already committed to running or playing something. I'm reducing my intial list of stuff I'm likely to run as pick-ups down to Fiasco and 2nd sessions of either Danger Patrol or Love in the time of Seiõ. I am bringing The Mustang along though...

Looks like there's quite a bit of interest in Fiasco tomorrow night - I'll probably try to get something together with johnzo.

Speaking of pick-up games and going commando and whatnot, I ran across my copy of Graham's Play Unsafe last night while I was packing. I'm going to start a tradition of "prepping" for this weekend by re-reading it tonight.
  • Posted By: JoelPosted By: BrendanI seriously, seriously thought you made this up. Boggle.
    Nope,shit be REAL.
    I will buy you (another) beer if you promise an AP writeup.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm very eager to run: Spacerpunk [playtest], "Adventure and trouble as you run gigs and throw parties from world to world". The game is kinda a series of oracles/random-tables. I'm also interested in playing ad hoc games of: Ribbon Drive, It's Complicated, Dance and the Dawn, Mist-Robed Gate, and also just using my Harrow Deck or Tarot Cards to make stuff happen.
  • Ribbon Drive. (I'll be bringing a Bose portable iPod dock and an aux. cable.)
    Don't Rest Your Head.
    Sign in Stranger, maybe, if my third attempt to wrap my head around the one-shot approach bears fruit.
  • I'll bring infrastructure for Ribbon Drive, too. I have a set of speakers and an aux cord people can hook up to, if need be,
  • Posted By: BrendanI will buy you (another) beer if you promise an AP writeup.
    Try and stop me.
  • If anybody is interested in old-school dungeon-crawling goodness, I am bringing dungeons and will be willing to run them with my roll for shoes game Enter the Dungeon or Tony's Apocalypse D&D. Or B/X, actually.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm happy to run:

Spirit of the Century (and really any pulpy FATE game)
    Don't Rest Your Head (I have my "first graders in the Mad City" setup printed out)
    Fiasco
    Dresden Files (or really any hard urban fantasy FATE game)
    Wildlings (dude, seriously, Wildlings)
    Mythender (just once, maybe)
    And maybe playstorm my game based on the movie Crank, called Gun 'n Fuck.
    My PTA-for-one shots hack, Blockbuster Adventures.

- Ryan
  • What about OMG SWARDS?
  • Oh, god. Man, I would totally throw down some OMG SWARDS!!!1

- Ryan
  • Dev, you have to run the Ultraviolet game. I'm 100% serious.
  • OK, Wicked-Agers, vote: which sheets should I print out, the John Harper Classic, or the Matt Sheridan alternate?

The Harper sheets are extremely pretty, but I think the Sheridan design looks more "wicked," and bigger size makes it easy to set dice on the circles, a practice which I totally believe in. But I'll go with what people like.

Peace,
    -Joel
  • edited June 2010
    I'll have Apocalypse World, Lacuna, and DRYH along to run, in addition to my scheduled games of Lacuna and ApocW.

And I have my DitV kit along, but am planning to leave it in the hotel room, not haul it to the site.
  • Posted By: JoelOK, Wicked-Agers, vote: which sheets should I print out, theJohn Harper Classic, or theMatt Sheridan alternate?

The Harper sheets are extremely pretty, but I think the Sheridan design looks more "wicked," and bigger size makes it easy to set dice on the circles, a practice which Itotally believe in. But I'll go with what people like.

Peace,
    -Joel
    I vote for Vincent's originals. SHAME HAS NO PLACE IN A WICKED AGE.
  • edited June 2010
    Posted By: nemomemeLooks like there's quite a bit of interest in Fiasco tomorrow night - I'll probably try to get something together with johnzo.
    Hell yeah I am eager to taste the fail.

Elsewhen, I'm available every slot except for Friday or Saturday nights, and i'll be packing my usual tub of pickup games:

Montsegur
    Danger Patrol
    Beast Hunters
    Fiasco
    1001 Nights
    In A Wicked Age
    Aria

I should also play something I've never played before. That almost always goes well at GPNW. Dunno just what that should be. Everway? Lady Blackbird? Dogs in the Vineyard? Grey Ranks? Microscope? Contenders? Bliss Stage?

And speaking of IAWA:
    Posted By: Joelwhich sheets should I print out
    Ooh. I do like that Matt Sheridan particular strength sheet. clicks printprintprintprint
  • Posted By: Benhimself(no fortune deck, but that's what index cards and sharpies are for)
    Ben, I have an Everway set gathering dust here; if you're lacking cards I can throw em in the bag-o-games for ya.
  • edited June 2010
    If you are running Fiasco at GPNW, ping me and I will send you a brand new secret playset that I am in love with.

EDIT: Cool, two mysterious out-of-towners will arrive with something fun:
  • I'm bringing Mountain Witch, Reality Cops, 1001 Nights, Nine Worlds, and Dogs in the Vineyard. I'm also always willing to run Death's Door, but if someone wants Blood and Bronze, they'll need to bring the set. That shit be too heavy for carry-on luggage.

There might be something else in there, too - I packed last night, and my memory is crap.

James