[Final Hour of a Storied Age] Seeking Skype Playtesters

I'm looking for alpha playtesters to play my game with me over Skype. Final Hour of a Storied Age is a GM-less no-prep game designed to produce epic fantasy stories in the vein of The Lord of the Rings, The Wheel of Time, or The Sword of Truth. The mechanics facilitate experiencing a collaboratively created story without placing high-pressure “on the spot” creative demands on any single player. Guided by the mechanics, each player writes IAWA-oracle-style evocative sentences that are combined together to create a central plot arc that is then played out by the players, similar to the way an author starts with an outline and fleshes it out to create a full novel.

If you'd like to get a feel for the game, I've posted AP recordings on my podcast and text AP reports on my blog (a playtest with the current mechanics is chronicled here and here). If you'd like to help me out but don't want to commit to Skype gaming, I'd appreciate feedback on the current version of the rules over in my praxis thread. Also, if there are any other designers reading who want to work out “I'll playtest yours with you if you playtest mine with me” arrangements, I'll be happy to do that.

If anyone is interested, post or whisper here, or e-mail me at dan.maruschak@gmail.com.

Comments

• In case it helps attract some more volunteers, here's a snippet of the marketing/back-cover text I've been working on:
    Posted By: Final Hour of a Storied AgeThe end of an age draws nigh, an age of magic and wonder, a storied age when legends walked the land and great deeds were done. That was all long ago, when lives were larger, before things were settled. Now, if there is any greatness left, it is great evil, evil that will change the world for the worse. In the last hour of that age, a new story begins. Will it be the story of a hero, rising up to save what is good and true about the old age to shepherd it into the new, or will it be a sad lament for things long gone to usher in a new age of darkness? It is now the final hour of a storied age, and telling the story falls to you.
  • This sounds like fun.
  • Based on some recent playtests I've made some improvements to the rules and posted a PDF of version 0.62. I'm still looking for more volunteers to playtest with me over Skype, and also for feedback or critique of the rules over in this praxis thread.
  • This sounds like a ton of fun but I'm sort of shy voice-wise around people I don't know. Uh. Which makes this message pretty useless.

I'll download the alpha rules and proof-read them for you (I am a professional editor, hooray), and maybe sign-up to playtest with you?

Heh. I'm such a story gaming wuss.
  • Whoa, this is intense. I'll read through it over the next couple days and check out the Praxis thread.

Sweet title, by the way. I don't know about other people, but an intriguing title is a huge plus for me. In a Wicked Age, Dogs in the Vineyard, Apocalypse World... Vx had me at the titles of his games, and so do you! Burning Wheel, Polaris, Fiasco, and 3:16 also had sweet titles that pulled me in. Anyway, long offtopic short, I think your title is ace.