Need a low-prep, 2 player friendly RPG, stat!

edited April 2010 in Story Games
My girlfriend and I would like to try a new (i.e. "not d20") RPG this weekend.

Indie or trad doesn't matter, it just needs to work with only two people and cost $20 or less in pdf. I like "fantasy adventure"; she's up for anything.

Sell us something!

Comments

• Lady Blackbird

Very cool game. No prep, pregen characters.
  • And it's free.
  • edited April 2010
    Mars Colony!!
    http://story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=10232

Unfortunately, it's still in pre-release, but if you can get a copy from Tim, it is well, well worth it and the best 2-person game I have played EDIT: with no prep. It's an actual 2-person game as opposed to a "works for 2 people" game.

You can also check out S/Lay w/Me. I've only played a demo at Gencon, but maybe others can tell you more about it.
  • Whisper Seth ("greatwolf") for the rules to his game Showdown. That's a lot of fun, zero-prep, and wraps up fairly quickly, in a satisfying way. If you look for Story Games threads with "Showdown" in the title, you'll find a whole game of it we played out.
  • Annalise plays well with two people. You could do fantasy horror with it, I would gander.
  • It's not really an RPG, more literally a story-telling game, but I'd humbly offer Happy Birthday, Robot! as an approachable short game with no prep and no character creation. Here's a free PDF of the rules used at Dreamation this year.
  • What Paul said about Showdown. It is so compelling, and designed from the ground up for two players, no prep.
  • I recommend Spellbound Kingdoms. Its a FRPG with a lot of unique mechanics, ideas and executions. The game stresses Scene Order Play which I think is absolutely perfect for a one-on-one game. If the both of you like combat, the game is very unique in that respect as well. In fact, you can check out the Combat Primer if you want a great source for information about that specific mechanic. Furthermore, the website contains a few previews of some the game's elements. Spellbound Kingdoms also happens to be eight dollars. Here is the Table of Contents just in case you want to look at it.

This may or may not interest you but the game is also easily hacked or added to. You can check out my Homebrew threads for proof of that on the official forums if'n you would like.

One final note... Spellbound Kingdoms is due to be updated fairly soon (by about the end of June or so). However, those who purchased the pdf will get the updated pdf for free.

Thank you for your time. =)
  • I'll email you the playtest version of Perfect, which I'm putting the finishing touches to right now*.

*the finishing touches to version 2.52586386299991912, or something like that. It's gone through many iterations and this one is the one I think might "be the one".
  • Wait, nobody mentioned Breaking the Ice yet?
  • I love Breaking the Ice! Also, Shooting the Moon.

Trollbabe works well as a 2-player game (and it's one of the best RPGs ever).
  • Trollbabe ftw
  • Oh, and Beast Hunters!
  • I think Contenders works pretty well for two players and requires no prep at all.
  • Don't Rest Your Head is great for two...

This topic comes up quite often. I wonder if the market is asking for this?
  • edited April 2010
    Sweet Agatha - you don't even need any knowledge of what to do before opening that envelope.
  • [cite]Posted By: jessecoombs[/cite]This topic comes up quite often. I wonder if the market is asking for this?
    I think a market is definitely asking for this kind of experience.
    Personally, I find myself with a very limited number of players... and I actually prefer it that way.
  • Posted By: jessecoombsDon't Rest Your Head is great for two...

This topic comes up quite often. I wonder if the market is asking for this?
    Indeed, it does come up often. There was, in fact, a discussion some time ago that resulted in a promised audio AP report of a one-on-one DRYH session that I'm still very interested to hear.

*** continues to wait patiently ***
  • Beast Hunters is a fantastic two-player game.

My girlfriend and I played a short campaign where we swapped running/playing duties back and forth for around 8 sessions. It was great fun.
  • The Beast Hunters rules are actually available for free online, if you want to check them out :)
  • edited April 2010
    Posted By: pingMars Colony!!
    http://story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=10232

Unfortunately, it's still in pre-release, butif you can get a copy from Tim, it is well, well worth it and the best 2-person game I have played EDIT: with no prep. It's an actual 2-person game as opposed to a "works for 2 people" game.
    What Ping said! Mars Colony!!

Bonus: it doesn't have that "hey baby, I'll be your GM..." dynamic.

EDIT: Ping actually used two exclamation points, "Mars Colony!!" not "Mars Colony!" After careful consideration I see that the second exclamation point is both justified and necessary. Update made.
  • Posted By: Ben RobbinsBonus: it doesn't have that "hey baby, I'll be your GM..." dynamic.
    That dynamic can be accessed via Ron Edwards games.
    He also offers it in the "hey baby, I'll be your monstrously-tinged lover" flavour.
  • I think for future generations, all two-player games should broken into two categories: it's either a game about a romantic/intimate relationship between two people, or it isn't.
  • Ben,

Showdown can do both, but only because it does dysfunction really well.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf