[Time and Temp] Villains and Paradox

edited April 2010 in Story Games
I am reading (and grooving on) Time and Temp finally after buying the Paperless Office edition a while back. I have a question about somethign I do not know how to interpret in the rules text.

It says that villains check off boxes on this side of the anachrometer. What does that mean? I had assumed on the right side or fromt he bottom up, but...hmm. Also, the remiander of that section is confusing too.

Can someone give me a clarification and some examples of how it works? Thanks in advance.

I can't wait to play this and see it in action!

Comments

• Wow, I clicked this thread all confident that I could answer the question, but frig me if I know what that's about - does the paper version have that sort of phrasing at all? I might have just forgotten it.

Anyway, a great pick of a game. I'd like to see some play reports or something, this is one of the more exciting things that came out last year. We get a dozen solid narrativistic games every year nowadays, so a sim title with unique analytical design is a rare treat. Maybe I should just try to set up a game myself just so I'd have some substantial reason to sing praises here.
  • edited April 2010
    Posted By: Eero TuovinenWow, I clicked this thread all confident that I could answer the question, but frig me if I know what that's about - does the paper version have that sort of phrasing at all? I might have just forgotten it.
    I am asking about how the Temporal Villain Index works. I am hesitant to quote the extact wording, but it is very unclear to me.
  • I don't have the text at hand here, so can't check it out myself. I don't remember that bit well enough to say anything particularly useful, but surely somebody will help us out soon enough.
  • Posted By: JuddGt says that villains check off boxes onthis sideof the anachrometer. What does that mean? I had assumed on the right side or fromt he bottom up, but...hmm. Also, the remiander of that section is confusing too.
    You're definitely not alone in this confusion. It's an honest to goodness frequently asked question. And as such, I really should post about all the TVI stuff in the FAQ. You start from the bottom. Specifically, the leftmost circle for 19-20. Here's a handy illustration I just made that should hopefully clear it up.

If you have any more questions about that section, please ask. It'll help me with my FAQ.
  • Okay, after a considerable amount of struggling with WordPress, I managed to get a slightly more detailed account up on the FAQ. I'd expound further on that subject, and others, on the site, but every time I save an edit, WordPress erases all my line breaks. Which is awesome.

I was actually playing in a Time & Temp game last night where the menace got those first three circles filled in, and one Paradox Die locked on 20, which is pretty scary stuff, especially since our end of the Anachronometer was choked with numbers. We were only threatening paradox on a 3, but everything else already had two occurrences in the Matrix. Our opponent had a TVI Rating of 3, so another 40 minutes of game time and I think we would have been screwed.
  • Thanks!! Exactly what I needed to know. I do have a follow-up, though:

Is there any negative aspect (other than having to roll paradox dice) to checking all circles for a number?
  • Posted By: JuddGThanks!! Exactly what I needed to know. I do have a follow-up, though:

Is there any negative aspect (other than having to roll paradox dice) to checking all circles for a number?
    There are only two effects of having three or more circles checked off for a number:

- Every time you check off a circle beyond that line, you roll the the Paradox Dice.

- Every number that has been checked off three or more times threatens paradox, which means the Paradox Dice lock in when they roll one of these numbers.

Example: You have three circles checked off for 1, 2, 3 and 5. Everything else has two or less circles checked off. The temps are meddling with things and end up checking off a fourth number for 5. You now roll your Paradox Dice and get a 17, 12, and 3. Since 3 has three or more circles checked off, that Paradox Die gets locked in and things start to get really hairy. If this is the first Paradox Die to get locked in, then from here on out every time the temps roll to accomplish something, they have to roll an addition die of the appropriate size and they have to ignore the highest die they roll. This is going to make it harder and harder for them to get high numbers.

I should point out, as is evident on the Anachronometer, for 13 through 20 you only need two circles checked off to threaten paradox and cause the Paradox Dice to be rolled. These numbers can only be filled in if you've got a villain with a TVI rating.
  • That males perfect sense. Now, I need to get some people together and play this!

Thanks for the help.