Podcast Recommendations - I want some

edited April 2010 in Stuff to Watch
I'm dying for a good RPG related podcast. I'm mostly interested in game design advice but reviews or interviews are good too. I prefer to listen to a show from episode 1, so a backlog of episodes is great. I like a show with a good mix of game advice and random banter.

Here are the shows I'm subscribed to (more or less in the order I like them) if that helps you get an idea of what I prefer:
- Theory from the Closet
- Have Games Will Travel (RIP)
- Master Plan
- The Voice of the Revolution
- Fear the Boot

I've tried listening to these shows and couldn't get into them, but I'd be willing to give them another shot if you want to re-recommend them:
- Brilliant Gameologists (I actually really like this show but they eventually exceeded my offensive-chat-to-game-advice threshold around episode #35, so I unsubscribed)
- The Podgecast
- Durham 3
- Sons of Kryos
- Oo! Let's Make a Game (Looking forward to their new endeavor, whatever it may be called)
- Independent Insurgency

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• My favorite of those listed above was certainly the Durham 3. I like the Ninja vs. Pirates podcast interviews lately, even if their questions feel a little less dynamic than they could be and they say "verse" instead of "versus."
  • edited April 2010
    I recently quite enjoyed Actual People, Actual Play. They do about a half-hour review after each of their games, discussing what works and what doesn't. They did about 8 episodes on an entire Burning Empires campaign and it was very interesting and enjoyable.

If you are interested in hearing interviews with some innovative game designers, I recommend (selfishly) The RPG Haven Podcast where MountZionRyan and myself emphasize small press and DIY designers and have interviews with the likes of Cynthia Celeste Miller, Neil Gow and Simon Washbourne all of whom have produced innovative designs in some cool genres and for some reason don't get enough love here.
  • I sporadically listen to "2D6 Feet In a Random Direction"; it's more a state of the industry type thing, but it's still reasonably informative. And the hosts have reasonably good connections into portions of the industry and so sometimes have interesting guests (Fred Hicks, Ken Hite, Chris Pramas, to name three I can remember).
  • RPG Haven podcast is cool. I especially like the Miller interview. Her products are fucking great.

I'm on Pulp Gamer's "Out Of Character" starting around February of last year. Not all our shows are home runs but we have a lot of really good ones.
  • I do one myself, which focuses more on anime and Japanese-related stuff, plus whoever I can rope into interviews that I think might be interesting (I'm hoping to interview Steven Savage soon; he's the guy who does Seventh Sanctum and Fan To Pro).

I also really like Canon Puncture for their overall look at the RPG scene. 2d6 Feet In a Random Direction is great for the retailer's perspective, and That's How We Roll blends that with Fred Hicks' publisher perspective.
  • I'll re-recommend Independent Insurgency and Sons of Kryos. Also highly recomend Canon Puncture's game advocates episodes, and Actual People, Actual Play.
  • Sons of Kryos and The Durham 3 are, in my opinion, the two best gaming podcasts to ever come out. SoK is defunct now and TD3 only updates sporadically, but both are worth listening to if you're new to them.
  • Lately I have been enjoying the Godesky Brothers' Storyjammers.

Ninja vs. Pirates has good content, although the questioning in the interviews can sometimes be a little stilted.

I also like The Walking Eye. I have enough free time to fill that I enjoy AP podcasts, but even for people that don't the review and interview shows are probably worth listening to.
  • Posted By: Neko Ewen2d6 Feet In a Random Direction is great for the retailer's perspective
    The occasions I am contractually obligated invited on 2d6 Feet, I try my best to derail their retailer conversations to talk about the actual games we are playing:)

Watch for an episode coming up soon that may or may not include talk about playtesting Apocalypse World, the latest EndGame minicon, the upcoming GPNW in Seattle, and Kentucky Bourbon.
  • I want to wholeheartedly second Actual People, Actual Play. I wrote a bit about it on my blog.

PS: I really wanna start to get to work on TII again, soon. Thanks, James.
  • Posted By: amnesiackSons of Kryos and The Durham 3 are, in my opinion, the two best gaming podcasts to ever come out. SoK is defunct now and TD3 only updates sporadically, but both are worth listening to if you're new to them.
    Definitely agreed there. It's totally worth it to download their old episodes and soak up the magic.
  • Posted By: Dan MaruschakLately I have been enjoying the Godesky Brothers'Storyjammers.
    Hey, people listen! Cool!

I've found the game design podcasts haven't dropped too regularly of late. You probably noticed the lack of a new Master Plan in a while (one of my favorites, too). I also like Actual People, Actual Play, as well as Dan's Designer vs. Reality, but like Dan, I also have enough time to fill in the week that I'll listen to AP recordings.

I don't see Narrative Control mentioned anywhere yet, so I will; that's one of my favorites.
  • Wow, nobody mentioned Yog Radio? Reviews, interviews, banter, con reports about Cthulhu related games, Lovecraftian material, and sometimes pretty tangential interviews; they interviewed the director of _The Wicker Man_, for example. But Simon Rogers of Pelgrane Press has been on, Sandy Peterson, creator of Call of Cthulhu; the guys behind CthulhuTech; and the folks at the HPL Historical Society, who started out as LARPers who now make pretty awesome radio dramas and movies.

The coterie of podcasters also have recorded their play of three published Call of Cthulhu campaigns, are currently playing through a fourth, and intend to keep doing this. They record in binaural surround sound, which is a huge improvement over the "terrible mike in the middle of a table, featuring no sound engineering" I've heard on most other recorded games.
  • Oh, and if you listen to "Master Plan," you'll recognize Yog Radio's Paul of Cthulhu's voice from the "Goblin gaming broadcast network" spots.
  • This looks like a good list:
    Actual People, Actual Play
    Durham 3
    Ninja vs. Pirates
    The RPG Haven Podcast
    2D6 Feet In a Random Direction
    Out Of Character
    Yaruki Zero Podcast
    Canon Puncture
    That's How We Roll
    Independent Insurgency
    Sons of Kryos
    Storyjammers
    The Walking Eye
    Narrative Control
    Designer vs. Reality
    Yog Radio

It should take me a while to check them all out. Luckily I too have a lot of time on my hands. Thanks everyone. If you come up with any more, I'll give them a try.
  • The "next project" mentioned earlier for Joshua and I will be a "Radiolab of RPGs," provisionally titled Ludic Jibberjabber. We're going to do a monthly show where we collect a number of stories on a particular theme relating to RPGs.
  • Posted By: YunusWesleythey interviewed the director of _The Wicker Man_, for example.
    Of the original Wicker Man or the remake with Nicolas Cage?
  • @Robert: woot! You had me at "Radiolab of RPGs" :)
  • Posted By: Robert BohlThe "next project" mentioned earlier for Joshua and I will be a "Radiolabof RPGs," provisionally titledLudic Jibberjabber. We're going to do a monthly show where we collect a number of stories on a particular theme relating to RPGs.
    Niiiiiiiiiiiice.
  • Posted By: walkerp

Of the original Wicker Man or the remake with Nicolas Cage?
    The original.
  • Oh sweet. I'll have to track that down. I'm not a big Cthulu fan (nothing against it, it just never really crossed my path), so I've never made an effort to listen to Yog Radio. But I am a big fan of the Wicker Man. Thanks for the reference!
  • edited April 2010
    You're welcome Walkerp. You'll be wanting
    this episode.
  • Posted By: Robert BohlThe "next project" mentioned earlier for Joshua and I will be a "Radiolabof RPGs," provisionally titledLudic Jibberjabber. We're going to do a monthly show where we collect a number of stories on a particular theme relating to RPGs.
    That sounds right up my alley.
  • Posted By: YunusWesleythis episode
    Thanks for the direct link. I went looking for it and couldn't find it and was too ashamed to come ask again. It is now downloaded and nestled nicely in my ipod waiting for its moment to shine in my brain.
  • Anyone know what's going on with the Sons of Kryos Site? It's been down the past few days.
  • Actually, the SoK website has been down for something like several months, maybe a year now. Judd and Storn have said they are getting ready to restart the podcast; I assume the website will return then :)