[Super Supremacy King 64]: A game in 365 minutes.

edited April 2010 in Directed Promotion
Ok, yes, I was lazy: 365 minutes is just over 6 hours and I spent half the time eating lunch or reading the Moomin comic.

But, without further ado, I present: Super Supremacy King 64

"The Supreme King of All Things is supreme in all things. Today the King is supremely bored. He has summoned the Earth’s finest performers to entertain Him in the technicolour hothouse garden of his moon-palace. Let the games begin!"

It's a very stupid game and copys Sea Dracula slavishly... and isn't really much of an RPG per se... Hmm, well, back to the drawing board. What prompted me to write this was an interest in 'gamist' goals (Victory for its own sake) and breaking down the conventional space of role-playing, getting players off the table and interacting in new ways. I believe these ideas merit consideration and development.

Comments

• Vital, tradition-melting and long-overdue.
  • edited April 2010
    Posted By: jackson teguVital, tradition-melting and long-overdue.
    Touché.

Plagiarism aside, I would like to open a discussion about open competition in roleplaying. I was speaking to a friend last night about the competitive element in 3:16 and he couldn't reconcile 'winning' with story-telling. Are the two nearly always at odds, or do we win in RPGs more than we'd like to admit?
  • Posted By: PotemkinTouché.

Plagiarism aside,
    ...you lost me.

& i think "storytelling" is too broad for me to pin down on the competition-collaboration spectrum.
    If i roll higher & decide that i get my way and you don't get yours, i win, yeah? and the story still happens.
    SOMETHING happens in the story, anyway.

maybe... another example?

My earlier post was just excitement (in a bland voice) at pageantry-as-game.
    "we are serious about our silliness" is a great flag to rally behind.
  • Posted By: jackson teguMy earlier post was just excitement (in a bland voice) at pageantry-as-game.
    "we are serious about our silliness" is a great flag to rally behind.
    I assumed you were sarcastically chiding me for poor mimicry and lazy, piecemeal design. Now you've suggested you might have been slightly less-than-ironic I feel awkward for us both.

What my friend was upset by was that while, to use your expression, something happens as competition resolves it is only arbitrarily that we choose to make that outcome relevant to a plot.
  • edited April 2010
    Looks like a fun game, and you can't deny that it has an extremely excellent title.

Also, I picture the king as being like the king of all cosmos from Katamari. I can only imagine this is how it was intended.
  • Posted By: PotemkinPlagiarism aside, I would like to open a discussion about open competition in roleplaying. I was speaking to a friend last night about the competitive element in3:16and he couldn't reconcile 'winning' with story-telling. Are the two nearly always at odds, or do wewinin RPGs more than we'd like to admit?
    What do you think about GNS theory as an answer to this question? This is almost exactly what the theory is supposed to address, and it does convince me on the point.