Prezi is a fairly keen tool

Here's an "instant characters" presentation for a Larp I'm running:

Instant Characters on Prezi

Consider this:

Teach your game to players by "taking them on a tour" of their character sheet.

Comments

• Hey, neat! A bit slow on my computer, but my computer's ancient.

How did you get the icons and descriptions into the presentation? How long did making this thing take you? I'm wondering how it compares to Flash...
  • edited March 2010
    Took me about three hours total, from sign-up on the site to done. Now that I've done it once, and met the tools, I could likely do *that* again in about an hour and a half. More likely, the next things I build will be way, way more crazy on the layout, so I'll be back on using more time.

My little show there isn't even close to the potential of the thing. I'd love to see Solis play with it; he could probably make all our heads explode in envy.
  • Awesome, Levi. I had saved that link to Prezi from way back when, waiting to see what someone did with it before I dipped my toe in. Thanks for taking the plunge there: Your preso is simple, slick, and showcases the product well.

Thanks again!

-Andy
  • Interesting.. So it's essentially just a prettier, somewhat more interactive online PowerPoint?
  • Posted By: WolfeInteresting.. So it's essentially just a prettier, somewhat more interactive online PowerPoint?
    Yep, exactly.

I'd say that the prettiness and interactivity are fairly significant, but still: Yep.
  • Whey, PowerPoint presentations are cool again!
    It seems weird but so many games, both old and new, would be a quicker start with a tool like this; the info-dump in manageable bite-sized pieces. Is anyone considering writing their game's exposition (and/or character-generation rules) as a presentation for download?
    God knows having a few for Fresher's Week would be useful as I try drum up as much RPG-related excitement as humanly possible in but a few scant days; being able to pug in the laptop and pour the whys-and-hows of Mouse Guard, Paranoia or Dogs in the Vineyard straight into the sugar-et-booze-addled minds of twenty-five 18-year-olds with the minimum of hassle would be great!
  • It would be great if you could somehow extract the result and make it into a video or something. Put it on youtube, embed it into your website.
  • Somewhat OT, but is there a place to find out more about the game you created this for? It sounds interesting.
  • Posted By: northerainIt would be great if you could somehow extract the result and make it into a video or something. Put it on youtube, embed it into your website.
    There's applications that basically record your desktop, right? I know Daniel Solis (among many others) posts vids of some of his mad photoshop skillz. Not to deny the utility of having a native "export to youtube" function, but I feel like there are ways to achieve this.

Note that this is said without having signed up (yet). Maybe this is in there somewhere?
  • edited March 2010
    Posted By: northerainIt would be great if you could somehow extract the result and make it into a video or something. Put it on youtube, embed it into your website.
    I suspect that you could kludge around - Or it might be a paid feature (I ain't paying, at present). I know you can export / download in *some* format.
    Posted By: Lord MinxSomewhat OT, but is there a place to find out more about the game you created this for? It sounds interesting.
    http://ruritania.ning.com/ is the site-to-be (the site-that-is is Facebook), and most of the resources are there. Although you'd have to be in Edmonton to play. :D
  • I've used Camtasia for recording screen interaction but it is hella expensive.

CamStudio is an open source alternative, but I have never tried it.
  • edited March 2010
    There's an online tool that does everything for free (even recording your comment via microphone) and works on all platforms.

http://screenr.com/

I don't think you can extract the video but you can share it similarly to youtube.

Or, you could use one of the many free tools. Linux has 2 or 3, and I remember seeing some for windows too.

--edit--

here, Wink is free
    http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

and it allows to easily add comments on the screencast
  • There's also fraps, which is free, although the free version has a small fraps.com banner on your videos. Fraps has seen heavy use in recordings of computer gaming.
  • Posted By: Levi-Who-Babbles.http://ruritania.ning.com/ is the site-to-be (the site-that-is is Facebook), and most of the resources are there. Although you'd have to be in Edmonton to play. :D
    Playing is obviously out of question, barring a lottery win or something, but I've filed you under "People with lots of interesting ideas" and I've been interested in different styles of LARP for a while now, so hearing about the live made me interested.

And looking through the rules draft and the ning site for the game in general, I have to say, this looks really cool. Bookmarked it and will keep an eye on this, thanks!
  • I own Fraps so I could conceivably make do.

It's really interesting though, it reminds me of a couple of rock videos that have text flying around. I wonder if I can emulate that.