Guys can we speak in English rather than StuckupStorygameforumsese

edited March 2010 in Forum Discussion
So guys can we speak/type in english.

Because really while the big language of the god kings and the death of awesome, and corn and not japan memes and all that is entertaining for about 5 seconds, it really seems to me that you guys could be a little more authentic and a little less jingotastic if you know what i mean.

I mean I can't stop you, and if your really so sick to death about talking about games you'd rather do that than talk about games, I'd guess it be better to do it here than say the forge or something , as here is only kinda sorta to talk about games, as apposed to other places.

I just think its a little sad that this forum (and some of the posters in it) have for the most part like 4chan, only minus the appealing parts (you know the anomity, the freedom to say what you want, your comments being judge on their content rather than the name associated with them, a lack of cliqishiness,etc).

Anyway, I'm sure this will be buried soon (either by threads about the GODSORCERERS OF GMTUTDIA, Scathing (and extremely patrotic) Sarcasm (as a form aggressive foreign policy)[just so you know when i wrote jingo, I meant jingo], a few of forced memes , or just plain ignoral. I just think its sad that the top 10 percent of the posters here seem to make 99 percent of its rubbish.

Comments

• I don't think you're speaking English either, because I have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Lo, for in the long benighted eons of the Fifth Age after the Great Cataclysm, on shores of black-coral sand whose fey names good men were loathe to utter, there did arise from beneath the festering fens of Ig-N'oral a race unknown even unto the whitebeard scholars of Sem Agyrots, unknown to the lizardkin beyond the Gulf of Forchanta, a race more fell than fell, whose feral physiognomies bespoke the turmoil of their soulless minds. Their thunderous voices rolled and rumbled as the crashing surf upon the carious spires of their island home, and their power was like unto that of something long unknown but soon to be disclosed unto a huddled mass of trembling villeins who will tremble yet the more upon this heretofore-undisclosed entity's imminent disclosure unto them. All would soon know of their might, and their prestige would flow from them as lava from a fiery mount, for, let's be honest here guys, if the Estonians can get it together and form an self-determining nation-state, can't anyone? I mean, to be fair, Estonia is totally the world's premier exporter of folk dances and headscarves, so I guess that makes them qualified to field an army and make decisions about fishing rights along their stretch of Baltic coast, huh? Sure, I get it. Nice flag they have, too; blue, white, and black go together totally awesomely. Am I right? It definitely doesn't look like it was designed by a drunken smelt-fisherman who's brain is addled by fermented fishgut vodka. Those Baltic states have gone way over the line lately, forming trade pacts and negotiating maritime law together, excluding everyone else from their discussions of folk heritage preservation. I might be the only one willing to say this without the mask of anonymity that I might have on other forums, but I am totally opposed to their cliquishness. I just think its sad that this 10 percent of Northern Europeans seem to make 99 percent of its regulations and statutes governing the proper allocation of diversionary funds amongst independent fishing operations earning under 23000 kroon per annum. Ausalt, milline on see pask? Kas sa arvad, godsorcerers on gmtutdia oleks taluda jama nagu see on? Truly, while there once was awesome in the Baltic region, those Estonians have killed it. Fun, I submit, is no longer the enemy-- the Estonians are. For they are not what they seem. Their pleasant and gregarious appearance disguises from our sight the peril in our midst, for none now know the darkness that reared once and slumbers still in the heart of every one of them, waiting, biding, tensing for the strike that will cause the very vaults of the sky to tumble into the sea. They linger on their ill-begotten shores, hunkered in the gloom of eldritch darkness too dark for the keenest eye to penetrate, singing their songs from ages long-forgot, when once they ruled the other races of the globe and ground to dust beneath their heels all who would oppose them. Theirs again shall be the dominion, and all will be powerless to halt their accession to the celestial thrones of mad tyranny, for they were once the Necrogodemperor Witchsovereigns of Ig-N'oral, and they shall return!

[/me being a jerk]

No offense intended, but your post just inspired some gentle satire. I'm not really a regular denizen of Story Games, so I'm not really bothered by the things you brought up, but I understand that it might be irritating to some. That said, I hope there's no harm in riffing on your themes. Oh, and I've really got nothing against Estonia. To any Estonians reading this: I laiendada siirast vabandust. Ma imetlen oma riigis ja on ainult austust sulle.
  • edited March 2010
    Posted By: Logos7So guys can we speak/type in english.
    You first.

To expand: Everybody's doing the best they can. Carping and chiding will have exactly zero effect on anybody's behavior. Be the change, dude.
  • Could you list some example of the jargon that's bothering you? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Thanks.
  • First: As Bill suggests, start and nourish threads that exemplify the sort of place you'd like this to be. Model the sort of behavior you'd like to see in others.
    Posted By: Logos7I just think its sad that the top 10 percent of the posters here seem to make 99 percent of its rubbish.
    Dave Cleaver wrote a script that will make these people disappear, if that is what would make you happy. If you are bothered by the content of particular threads, my advice is not to read them. If the entire forum is going through a period of intolerable idiocy, as forums occasionally do, take a break. Come back in a month, see if anything has changed.
  • I guess I do kind of use the word awesome a lot, but otherwise I have no idea what you're talking about. Then again, I don't read the threads with titles like "A Kraken Ate my Baby". Maybe those are their threads that are bothering you? My advice is not to read them.

I did read this thread called "What's your Biggest Challenge Running Apocalypse World." It was a pretty great thread. I learned several things and also got to see people I respect go from disagreement about a game to reaching a mutual understanding through discussion.
  • Logos,

I agree that, while I believe you may be saying something useful and important there, it's really hard to figure out what you mean from your text alone. Can you explain how you think the posters on this forum could communicate better, or what jargon you find confusing, limited, or exclusive?
  • Dan ar gyfer ennill!
  • edited March 2010
    Posted By: Jason MorningstarDave Cleaver wrote a script that will make these people disappear
    I really have to get a new legacy...
  • Post in this thread to change my username to Jargon J. McJargonman
  • Oh, look, it's another member of the Semi-Literates for Plain Speech Society. I hear they throw good parties.
  • How about we lay off the dogpile and give Logos a chance to talk a little more about what he means.
  • Posted By: JDCorleyPost in this thread to change my username to Jargon J. McJargonman
    Somebody posted, but your username is still JDCorley, so obviously this function is borknared.
  • . . .

the above is an ellipsis

here's the wikipedia entry on the use of the ellipsis

the ellipsis is a wonderful grammatical tool, both in English and Japanese (and apparently Polish as well. And Math)
  • Anyway, I'm sure this will be buried soon (either by threads about the GODSORCERERS OF GMTUTDIA, Scathing (and extremely patrotic) Sarcasm (as a form aggressive foreign policy)[just so you know when i wrote jingo, I meant jingo], a few of forced memes , or just plain ignoral. I just think its sad that the top 10 percent of the posters here seem to make 99 percent of its rubbish.

QFT, my friend. Q. F. T. Ignoral, indeed.

• I'm just assuming the OP's account was compromised.
  • Posted By: Christopher WeeksI'm just assuming the OP's account was compromised.
    Well, that would make more sense then the OP.
  • edited March 2010
    Posted By: Christopher WeeksI'm just assuming the OP's account was compromised.
    Until Logos speaks again I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming it's ironic.
  • Posted By: Andy. . .

the above is an ellipsis

here's the wikipedia entry on the use of theellipsis

the ellipsis is a wonderful grammatical tool, both in English and Japanese (and apparently Polish as well. And Math)
    This post has me baffled.
  • Posted By: TeataineI don't think you're speaking English either, because I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Seconded.
  • This is my second favorite thread.

• edited March 2010
    Posted By: Quintin StonePosted By: TeataineI don't think you're speaking English either, because I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Seconded.

I'm pretty sure logos was saying that the shorthand phrases we use around here, generated around here, have gotten to the point where they're becoming an active barrier to communication and acting more as a verbal indicator of in-group membership than anything constructive.

Logos' silly made up words are undoubtedly meant to point out to the reader how this sort of thing feels to the person on the receiving end of conversations filled with those kinds of locally created and used shorthand phrases.

I may not entierly agree with Logos' complaints on this, but I don't see what is terribly incomprehesible about Logos' post on the subject.
  • edited March 2010
    Posted By: komradebob
    I'm pretty sure logos was saying that the shorthand phrases we use around here, generated around here, have gotten to the point where they're becoming an active barrier to communication and acting more as a verbal indicator of in-group membership than anything constructive.

Logos' silly made up words are undoubtedly meant to point out to the reader how this sort of thing feels to the person on the receiving end of conversations filled with those kinds of locally created and used shorthand phrases.

I may not entierly agree with Logos' complaints on this, but I don't see what is terribly incomprehesible about Logos' post on the subject.
    He makes references to "big language of the god kings and the death of awesome, and corn and not japan memes", which were all just brief, one-off jokes in my experience. The problem with this thread is that it's an example of admonishing an entire group for the actions of a handful while passive-aggressively not trying to address the people who are actually doing it. I have not personally encountered the myriad problems he seems to perceive here. And finally, it's a necromancy of the horrific hand-wringing over "game jargon" we had, what, back in May? Thread after thread of teeth-gnashing. Ugh.

When I talk about programming, I talk about iterators, variables, regular expressions, and such without having to explain the terms every time I use them. That's because I'm talking to other programmers and they're expected to know these terms. If they don't, I won't talk to them.

When I talk about videogames, I talk about FPSes, RTSes, build queues, and such without having to explain the terms every time I use them. That's because I'm talking to other gamers and they're expected to know these terms. If they don't, I won't talk to them. If I had to replace every ubiquitous but field-specific term with an explanation of what it meant, I'd never have the time to say anything of merit.
  • Another one for a big "Uh?" in here.
  • edited March 2010

Of course tabletop game jargon is often just a way of coding a much simpler thing into some dumb term to sound more academic. It is particularly execrable when it is used to prescribe correctness to play as opposed to describing actual elements of play. It IS jingoistic and political but I don't feel as if it is a predominant trait of discussion on these forums. The introspection and the analysis that occurs in the indie games community is often of a misguided sort that attempts to redefine games rather than discuss and design them.

Basically this means that when I talk shop with a fighting games enthusiast, they understand what priority, block stun, tiers, etc mean because they describe real elements of games in that genre. The death of awesome or whatever is just a way of saying something as obvious as don't try too hard in an obscurantist way; while redefining terms like fun and awesome to make a statement that looks edgy at first glance.

• I had no problem at all parsing Logos7's post.
  • Posted By: Quintin StoneWhen I talk about videogames, I talk about FPSes, RTSes, build queues, and such without having to explain the terms every time I use them. That's because I'm talking to other gamers and they're expected to know these terms. If they don't, I won't talk to them. If I had to replace every ubiquitous but field-specific term with an explanation of what it meant, I'd never have the time to say anything of merit.
    So you never ever talk about games to anybody who doesn't understand terms like FPS, RTS and build queue? What if you were explaining how a certain game worked to a friend, SO or family member who wasn't a gamer? Would that not be saying anything of merit?

You may not be interested in the expansion of the hobby, or even meeting new people and explaining to them what it is, but I think that would put you in the tiny minority of people who play role playing games.
  • edited March 2010
    Posted By: noisms
    So you never ever talk about games to anybody who doesn't understand terms like FPS, RTS and build queue? What if you were explaining how a certain game worked to a friend, SO or family member who wasn't a gamer? Would that not be saying anything of merit?

You may not be interested in the expansion of the hobby, or even meeting new people and explaining to them what it is, but I think that would put you in the tiny minority of people who play role playing games.
    Are you suggesting that this forum is a place to do that? Because this forum is what we're talking about, right?
  • Posted By: HalfjackAre you suggesting that this forum is a place to do that? Because this forum is what we're talking about, right?
    Many people point to Story Games as "the place to learn about story games".
    That's a dumb move in my opinion, but there aren't many non-company sites that'll explain to you what a story game is.

So, for many people, yes. They suggest that this forum be that place.

Brennen Reece is trying to make some headway there, with his site What Are Story Games?
  • Posted By: Quintin StoneWhen I talk about programming, I talk about iterators, variables, regular expressions, and such without having to explain the terms every time I use them. That's because I'm talking to other programmers and they're expected to know these terms. If they don't, I won't talk to them.
    One of the problems there is that computer game programming and video games both have very well-defined sets of descriptors, while the ones that crop up in discussion of RPGs tend to vary in their meanings to a certain degree, and in many cases people may disagree over what a word actually means, This is bound to cause some confusion when those terms are used publically when no attempt is made to qualify which meaning of the word is intended. Just try talking about 'Indie' games and see what happens...

-Ash
  • I think that Story Games can be a place for people to learn about what story games are. People who join who are trying to get into Story Games certainly have the option of starting threads asking for explanations of certain concepts. I've seen such threads in the past. But Story Games can also be a place for people who are gaming enthusiasts to talk to each other about games.

I don't think these things are mutually exclusive. I know I certainly view the conversations about games that happen here as being much more accessible than the ones that happen on the Forge. (When the theory terms start flying my eyes just glaze over...) But even then, there are people here who enjoy theory and can have theory conversations, and that's cool. I'll glance at them, go 'theory', and move on to the next thread.

I think there's room for everybody.
  • edited March 2010
    Posted By: noismsSo you never ever talk about games to anybody who doesn't understand terms like FPS, RTS and build queue? What if you were explaining how a certain game worked to a friend, SO or family member who wasn't a gamer? Would that not be saying anything of merit?
    Not to any great degree. My family members who aren't gamers don't have any interest in talking about games. Neither does my wife.
    The original post never even talked about expansion of the hobby. The good thing is there's a Primer we can point new players to.
    Posted By: DestriarchOne of the problems there is that computer game programming and video games both have very well-defined sets of descriptors, while the ones that crop up in discussion of RPGs tend to vary in their meanings to a certain degree, and in many cases people may disagree over what a word actually means, This is bound to cause some confusion when those terms are used publically when no attempt is made to qualify which meaning of the word is intended. Just try talking about 'Indie' games and see what happens...

-Ash
    If only Logos7 had asked people to stop using terminology that was ambiguous or indefinite.

I don't participate in theory threads. Most I don't even read. But telling people how they should talk to each other about games? It's just bad-mannered.
  • Posted By: Quintin StoneIf only Logos7 had asked people to stop using terminology that was ambiguous or indefinite.
    To be absolutely fair to the OP, it is always very easy to be wise after the event.

-Ash
  • To be absolutely fair to everyone else, it would have been easy from the very beginning to raise this potential problem politely. Whatever it is that he's really complaining about, we know for sure that he's accused "you guys" of being: inauthentic, jingotastic, sick of talking about games, like the worst parts of 4chan, scathing and sarcastic. Really? I mean, I can forgive the horrible writing -- I assume English isn't the OP's native language. But the giant Fuck You encoded the note? That's just an unwise little slip? Really?

And yet, the community pays a huge amount of respect to the note. That's really neat!
  • Posted By: Christopher WeeksAnd yet, the community pays a huge amount of respect to the note. That's really neat!
    I've always wondered if I were in this community or not. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
  • Posted By: Robert BohlI've always wondered if I were in this community or not. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
    Heh. :)
  • And yet, the community pays a huge amount of respect to the note. That's really neat!

That's because it's good comedy!

• My homies just got trolled.
  • GODSORCERERS OF GMTUDIA is pretty awesome.
  • Posted By: Christopher WeeksTo be absolutely fair to everyone else, it would have been easy from the very beginning to raise this potential problem politely.
    Oh yes, I'll happily second that. My point was more that we can't all be great at getting a point across and, as someone else has mentioned, English may not be the OP's native language. By all means chastise the lack of social graces, but let's try not to poke fun at factors that the OP may have little control over.

-Ash