Lend me some strength.

edited March 2010 in Story Games
I start work on the publication draft of Combat Diaries: Operation Overlord this weekend and after a failed attempt to get some people over to play it (on, admittedly short notice), I really need to hear some people say they're excited about the project.
Yup, I'm feeling fragile about the whole thing and am pandering for some nice words.

Comments

• Posted By: OgremarcoCombat Diaries: Operation Overlord
    Link to playtest document, and page of information on this project?

-Andy
  • edited March 2010
    I don't know anything about Combat Diaries: Operation Overlord but I like you and I like your podcast Stabbing Contest!

It's not exactly what you asked for but I hope it helps!

Also, tell us about Combat Diaries: Operation Overlord and what makes you excited about it or what you hope to accomplish with it or anything really. I quickly googled it but couldn't find anything at first glance.
  • ::passes two helping dice from Game Writing skill::
  • I'll give a full description of the project late tonight, because writing it all out on my phone would really suck.
  • Posted By: Luke Wheel::passes two helping dice from Game Writing skill::
    So wait, we're supposed to believe Luke has a 5+ Game Writing skill? ;)

Ogre, it'll work. Can't wait to see it.
  • edited March 2010
    Posted By: sageLuke has a 5+ Game Writing skill?
    I was gonna say the same thing... but then I thought, "Well, fuck yeah he does, OBVIOUSLY."

And I have a 14 Int, if I can help. ;)
  • Dude, Combat Diaries is fun as hell, and you can have a lot of fun in hell. I was so frazzled by the time I played in the game at GPNW, but what I really, really remember is that it was on par or better than any WW2 movie I've seen. I will snap up a copy from you, and play it, so you need to finish it, because it's a good game.

It's a good game. This is not a lie.
  • Hey, you get to sit down while you write the text, right? That's got to count for something!

• So wait, we're supposed to believe Luke has a 5+ Game Writing skill? ;)
    Is that arrogant of me? I feel like I got that last challenging test I needed to go from 4 to 5 when I did Mouse Guard.

Anyway, game writing is fucking hard. It's perhaps the least fun part of the entire process -- at least in playtesting there's a small chance that something fun will happen by accident.

When it comes to writing, you have to kill all fun. It's like having to explain why a joke is funny. State the joke. Explain the humor. Restate the joke. Indicate where one would normally laugh. State the joke once again and give examples of other jokes.

Fun!
  • Luke, that's a terrific analogy.
  • @Luke: No, it's certainly accurate. (Friendly jokes aside, I'd argue BW already required a 5+, or at least a very lucky roll and some artha. MG might have earned you a 6.)
  • edited March 2010
    Ogre, you are awesome.

You almost killed Luke Crane with your bare hands. How many of us can say that?

ROCK ON.
  • Posted By: OgremarcoI really need to hear some people say they're excited about the project.
    Hey, man, I am excited by this. I fucking love playing gut-wrenching war stories. I want to see what the fuck you do with it. BRING IT ON!

Oh, and before you make the mistake: fuck trying to write well. Just fucking write. Write badly if that's all you can do at that moment. If you're waiting for it to flow from hand to paper well, you're waiting for a train that's not gonna come.

If you need someone to ping for a quick bit of encouragement or suggestion or whatever, you know where I am.

- Ryan
  • Ogre, Combat Diaries is at the top of my list of games I regret not getting to play at Go Play NW. Unfortunately that's all I can say about it...for now.

Peace,
    -Joel
  • Posted By: John Harper
    Do you think he would have finished me after he crippled me? Is that mercy, to let a crippled man live?

Man, that was fun. I'd love to do that again sometime.
  • Hell yes we should, and with the cheap beer and food afterwards.
  • Ogre, when Combat Diaries is finished and published, I will shave my head in honour of your hard work.
  • I'm super psyched about this game!

Matt
  • Ogre, you hosted me at your house as I finalized my first game.

If you need to retreat to Western MA, I've got a fold-out futon. And I can glare at you a lot. For not writing. If you do. Not. Write.
  • Posted By: Luke WheelPosted By: John Harper
    Do you think he would have finished me after he crippled me? Is that mercy, to let a crippled man live?

Man, that was fun. I'd love to do that again sometime.

I want in on some of that choking-Luke-Crane/getting-killed-by-Ogre action.

Ogre, when you need someone to look over the text, lemme know and I'll take a peak and give critique.
  • Where is this game? I want it!
  • edited March 2010
    Any game with the words:

Combat Diaries: Operation Overlord

is going to get a serious read-through by me. So take heart! Rock on!

PS I wrote a game myself called "Wars We've Fought" and I'm too reluctant to show or share it with anyone....so I kinda know how you feel.

But, unlike Luke above, it was a joy to write, so it must be total crap! Bwaaaaah! ;)P
  • You know, Ogre, i don't think Combat Diaries will be for me. The whole modern war genre isn't something i find a lot of traction on, and can't seem to get into. But seeing our mutual friends casting about for a solid war-story game, and seeing the spark come into your eyes when you told me a bit about it at Go Play last year, and at Gamestorm... man, it will be a serious tragedy if you let this one beat you down.

I really want to see it in print. And even if i don't sit down to play it without you at the table (because... well, i gotta admit i'll play just about anything with you running it), you gotta make it - for all these other shmoes here who need that game.

So get it out of your damn head, man.

Let's see some finely-combed pages.
  • Posted By: jackson teguSo get it out of your damn head, man.
    When I think of Jackson, I think of a 17 year old kid, scared out of his wits and weighed down with 70 pounds of gear, grasping on to his M1 Garand with all his might, shivering behind a metal beach obstacle with MG-42 rounds whizzing around his head and the surf washing dead bodies against his back.

So please, Ogre, if you don't do it for yourself, do it for all the Jacksons out there.
  • In an effort to get Jackson moving forward off the beach, here's the promised synopsis.

Combat Diaries: Operation Overlord is a story game about group morale and brotherhood in combat. Players take the roles of American soldiers landing on the beaches at Normandy and trying to survive those first crucial days of the Allied invasion of Western Europe.

The game uses narrative devices like flashbacks and tie-ins during life and death situations to make success and failure more poignant. It also uses a resources called morale that's shared amongst the group that the players can use to boost their rolls to buy success, as well as also using a gm resource called hard luck that can be used to boost difficulty.

The game has 7 acts, four which involve combat and rolls, and three that are freeform roleplay that the gm monitors and judges whether morale and/or hard luck are earned. They are called combat acts and diary acts respectively.

I wrote the game as genre emulation and the resources tend to create a Band of Brothers like behavior amongst the players.

I have a playtest document that's been kicking around for about a year, anyone who wants a copy can email me at Ogremarco@hotmail.com and I'll mail you back with the pdf attatched.
  • Posted By: Luke WheelMan, that was fun. I'd love to do that again sometime.
    Me too!. Maybe we can work it out around PAX.