[Stuff to Watch] March 2010

edited February 2010 in Stuff to Watch
Posted By: AndyAgain, our "official" (scarequotes!) rules summary for these threads:

-----
1. Feel free to respond here in-thread to another link posted.
a. If you're looking to start a conversation, perhaps take your comment and create a new thread with it in the Stuff to Watch category.
b. Otherwise, to prevent too many comments in the thread, number your response (first response: [1]; second response [2]; third response [3]). If you see that you're the second person to post, "Wow, that looks cool!" to a post here, then put a "[2]" at the top of your post. Three posts ([3]) is the limit: The fourth person to post should just take their comment and create a new thread, to carry the discussion over there further.
-----
Why?

Because these threads are great: We can link to little things being talked about on the web in general, on blogs, or other forums that might be noteworthy, without having to dedicate a new thread to each and every one (although that, too, is fine if you want to discuss the item further or "open up a discussion").
Responding to these posts with a comment or two is understandable (other times there might be no comments, just cause the link was self-explanatory: nothing to say, lots of heads nodding in agreement). But we don't want to create a huge discussion in the middle of the thread: Some folks get a lot out of these threads, and don't want to look back to see the "10 latest posts" just to see that it's a heated discussion of something from a previous page. Cool? Cool.
-----
Anyway. Happy month.

So yeah, a couple of us are gonna find this interesting I think:

Sleep Is Death, by Jason Rohrer, is in preorder.

When it says "Click here for the story," DO IT.

Comments

• Design Outside the Box, an entertaining and interesting examination of games, marketing and behavior.
  • In this episode of the Ninja Vs Pirates Podcast we talk to Vincent Baker about his rpg Poison'd. We discuss with him the his intent in designing the game. We also talk about what its like to reuse / re-purpose ideas (like escalation) in a new RPG. Also we talk about the controversy (so listen to the end).
    Get the episode here!
    http://ninjavspirates.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=583660
  • [XKCD 1]

Heh. We have a pair of naughty dice, and guess what our 1-year-old daughter goes for when she learns to get into drawers?
  • About a week ago I got to participate in a 2-day intensive workshop on the language fluency game Where Are Your Keys? It gave me the learning-game science at a deep enough level that I'm starting to think hard about it for every kind of skill-learning, including games. Blogged it here.

Peace,
    -Joel
  • edited March 2010
    Posted By: RemiDesign Outside the Box, an entertaining and interesting examination of games, marketing and behavior.
    This is amazing. Anyone serious about contemporary game design needs to watch this.

Edit:

Half way through it becomes even more amazing. Jesse Schell essentially describes the world becoming Free Market and it's not a question of when but rather who will design the point system that will influence behavior, hopefully for the better.

Here is his blog: http://thingsifinished.blogspot.com/
  • edited March 2010
    [2 Schell] Crap, guys. This was linked last month. Sorry!
  • [3 Schell] I missed it then, so thanks anyway Remi!

Holy shit that experience grading system is a thing of beauty.
  • [Sleep is Death 1]
    Posted By: misubaSo yeah, a couple of us are gonna find this interesting I think:

Sleep Is Death, by Jason Rohrer, is in preorder.

When it says "Click here for the story," DO IT.
    Let me repeat that more clearly. The creator of Passage, one of the most acclaimed and controversial of the new wave of indie downloadable PC games, has created a two-player game in which one player simply makes the game world respond to the actions of the other. Here's a screenshot of what that first player will see:

So, not everything is clear yet but it looks like we're talking Neverwinter Nights, only without rules, and you do all the level-building on the fly under a limit of 30 seconds a turn. It should even be possible to create new sprites in that amount of time, if you're good.

The preorder is $9, which allows two people to download the game (a week before its general release) for either Windows, Mac OS, or Linux. The price goes up to $14 on the game's release.

How staggeringly cool is this?
  • edited March 2010
    [2 Sleep is Death] Okay, NOW I'm interested.

Edit: I wonder how robust the system is. Can you set stuff up beforehand, or is it all 30 second chunks?
  • I've written up the State of Open Gaming for March.

There aren't many story games in there this month, though Dungeon Squad gets its own page and System Reference Documents. So too does MULRAH, a game which moved from its story game roots towards the d20 System.
  • New game on the Nørwegian Style blog: In my shadow.
    A GM-less story game about grief, anger, fate, and ugly truths. It is also a game about suicide. This game will, through five acts and forty scenes, render five different phases in the life (and death) of a person – our Main Character – and those whose lives were touched by this person.
  • I took pictures at PlayDate Lowell 2010.
  • edited March 2010
    Actual language from the New York Times:

HBO Will Play ‘Game of Thrones’

If you’ve been jonesing for an epic fantasy to help fill the gap between Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” movies and the maybe-someday remake of “Dune,” HBO may have just rolled the saving throw you needed.

Nerd win!
  • edited March 2010
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter [VIDEO]
  • [Game of Thrones 1]

That was fast. WTF is this remake of Dune, though? There's already one remake. Is the next one supposed to be directed by Jodorowsky or something?
  • [Nightmare Crazy DUNE 1]
    Posted By: JohnstoneIs the next one supposed to be directed by Jodorowsky or something?
    Only if I wake up in Hell.
  • edited March 2010

[2 Dune tangent]

Wait, did you pick Jodorowsky randomly? You do know that Jodorowsky's failed Dune project gave us the visual identity of Tatooine and the insanity necessary to write the screenplay for Alien, right?

Jodorowsky's Dune EDIT: Fixed Link

Jodorowsky Dune would be the only version of Dune I would ever be interested in experiencing, except maybe Paul Pope's Dune.

• [3 Dune tangent] I would pay good money to see Jodorowsky's Dune. Also, that link is broken.
  • edited March 2010
    Yes, I know about Jodorowsky's Dune, and how he wanted Salvador Dali to work on it. I did NOT know about Paul Pope's Dune, however, so thanks for that.
    Oh, and that's the end of the tangent unless you want to start a new thread about playing/writing the rpg version of ________'s Dune.
  • [1 Pirates Vs Ninjas]

That interview was great. Good job, guys.

Noah
  • [2 Game of Thrones] Been in the works for some time--was it finally announced this month? And I suppose they don't know any more than GRRM how it ends? ;)

*I'm* waiting for the Diamond Age mini-series, myself. If it's done right, it's going to be the next Blade Runner in terms of influence on cinema/trends.
  • The next 42 people who email Mike at Aetheral Forge will get a free copy of VOX. The caveat: Please actually run it.

My take on it: VOX is cool, and does surreal /right/. I have not had a chance to play/run it yet, but I've read it cover to cover.

http://aeforge.livejournal.com/104258.html

-Andy
  • [3 Game of Thrones] They made a pilot, but the series hadn't been picked up. This was the announcement that the rest of the series, beyond the pilot, will be made.
  • edited March 2010
    image"
  • [1 - Darth Vader riding cat]

As an owner of four cats with questionable intellectual skills, I nearly pissed myself. What is the story behind this?
  • edited March 2010
    [1 - Jewish Narnia]

"I cannot think of a single major fantasy writer who is Jewish, and there are only a handful of minor ones of any note."

Judith Merril, Peter Beagle, Ellen Kushner, and Jane Yolen are looking at him funny. Oh, and Fritz Leiber. He's looking at him really funny. Maybe at least an effort to look at Newhon as a Jewish fantasy world would have been good. You could consider it in conjunction with Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road, say.
  • [2 - Jewish Narnia]

According to Wikipedia and a couple other sources, Leiber studied at Episcopalian General Theological Seminary and worked for a time as a lay preacher. So that's kind of a strange case.

Jane Yolan is a pretty good point, though.
  • [2-Darth Kitty] Photoshopped, sadly. It would be the shit if someone actually got the kitty bridled and it was tearing around crazy. But, no... just a kitty tearing around crazy.
  • An Interesting Article About Useability

This is meant to apply to websites, but there's interesting implications for book layout as well as possibly playtesting.
  • Not sure if anyone else here is gonna be at SXSW, but if you are, this panel looks cool, and also relevant to the folkways and bylaws of story-games.com.

From Trolls to Stars: The Commenter Ecosystem
  • [3 Jewish fantasy]
    I think an article about muslim fantasy authors would have been even more interesting. As Bryant pointed out, while rare, jewish fantasy authors are not absent from the scene.
  • Posted By: Bryant[1 - Jewish Narnia]

"I cannot think of a single major fantasy writer who is Jewish, and there are only a handful of minor ones of any note."

Judith Merril, Peter Beagle, Ellen Kushner, and Jane Yolen are looking at him funny. Oh, and Fritz Leiber. He's looking at him really funny. Maybe at least an effort to look at Newhon as a Jewish fantasy world would have been good. You could consider it in conjunction with Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road, say.
    Lisa Goldstein should knife him in the junk.
  • [World's Most Actin-Packed Movie 1]

Jeff, when it's my time to go, promise me you'll beat me to death with my own arm, then scalp me.
  • [WMAPAM 1.1]

I'll shed hot tears of grief and rage as I do it.
  • Robot Unicorn Attack

This game drives home the point to me that in video games at least, the music can be an incredibly important part of the experience.
  • Posted By: whiteknifeRobot Unicorn Attack

This game drives home the point to me that in video games at least, the music can be an incredibly important part of the experience.
    [Robot Unicorn 1]

...Well, yeah! pata-pata-pata-PON!
  • edited March 2010
    Pulp Gamer's Out of Character podcast adds audio feedback!

You can leave a voicemail that can be played on the show by calling (520) 908-7782.

This is how I feel about this development.
  • [RUA-2]
    That's not what unicorns dream of.
  • Another Nørwegian Style game posted - this time it's "Need", by Anders Nygaard.
  • [RUA-3] it kinda got viral on facebook, i also discovered it lately... and yeah, it's damn addictive.
  • Go Play Brisbane will happen on March 20th. It's a little local event for indie games.
  • edited March 2010
    For the UK contingent, the V&A is hosting...
    ...on Friday 26 March Hide&Seek will be at the V&A for our biggest event yet. All Friday night, we’re going to transform the museum into a place for play. We’ve put together a roster of some of the UK’s finest design talent to create social games and playful experiences: there’ll be running, sneaking, strange hats, and enormous pieces of paper; quiet games, raucous games, games for fifty people and games for one.

If you’ve never been to a Sandpit before, now’s the time… it’s going to be pretty fantastic. Turn up from 6:30 to book places in specific games (with the V&A staff at the main entrance - don’t go looking for the usual Sandpit desk!), or at any point during the night to wander around and get involved with whatever’s going on. The event is free and runs until 10pm, though many games will finish by 9:30.

We also need actors and scorekeepers for the evening, so if you’d like to come along and get involved in running a game, email tracky@hideandseekfest.co.uk...

You can Pass the Impossibly Large Parcel with 815agency, unwrapping layer after layer until finally its papery innards are exposed. Failbetter Games and A Door In A Wall lead an Expedition with Mr Mirrors, a live experience based on the hit casual game Echo Bazaar. There’s Victorian parlour games with Gideon Reeling, frantic tasks and rising helium balloons with Tuna Technologies’ The Sky’s The Limit, a transient chalk record of the night with Andy Wilson’s 100 Things, and entirely new games from the Royal College of Art.

Do come along! It’s games! In the V&A!
    Details at Hide&Seek, the V&A and Facebook.
    John
  • Microsoft Courier use cases.

Am I the only one who's amazed to find himself considering buying a M$ product?!?
  • Cultivated Play: Farmville

"11 Even Zynga’s designers seem well aware that their game is repetitive and shallow. As you advance through Farmville, you begin earning rewards that allow you to play Farmville less. Harvesting machines let you click four squares at once, and barns and coops let you manage groups of animals simultaneously, saving you hundreds of tedious mouse-clicks. In other words, the more you play Farmville the less you have to play Farmville. For such a popular game, this seems suspicious. Meanwhile, Zynga is constantly adding new items and giveaways to Farmville, often at the suggestion of their users. Hardly a week goes by that a new color of cat isn’t available for purchase. What fun.

12 Again: if Farmville is laborious to play and aesthetically boring, why are so many people playing it? The answer is disarmingly simple: people are playing Farmville because people are playing Farmville."