Cold City: have an idea, need opinions..

edited February 2010 in Story Games
Ive just acquired Cold City and Im really excited by it.

And I had this idea: making the game more "knife in the back[I]ey[/I]". Maybe by making some pre-made "agenda-cards", randomly distributed to the players, containing agendas that the puts them against each another (just like Mountain Witch fate cards - "Revenge against other PC character", "Working for the Bad Guys", etc.). I was also thinkin about using that same game's idea of defining clear "Acts" of play - from the Act for presentation of characters, to the Act for fullfilling their agendas. BUT as Ive not played the game yet, I dont how this would turn out. What do you guys think?

THanks!

Comments

• edited February 2010
    So, Im not the only to come up with this idea. Nice.

Another tweak I will do when play it, is increasing the importance of Trust points. Maybe doubling its effect (1 pt = 2 dice ).

EDIT: I just realized that doubling Trust effect could unbalance the game ( since 3 is the greater margin of success needed).
  • Ok, another idea for strenghtening the Trust side of Cold City: ignore the Agenda bonus.

This way, Trust would be much more important.

Anyway, thanks guys for the input (the whispered ones, I mean XD ).
  • I wish the suggestions weren't whispered. What, are you afraid someone else will be interested?

• Joshua, thanks for asking.

Actually, I said that because I received a whispered input from one colleague. Dont know why he didnt showed it off to everybody, but if he dont want to, It would be rude form my part to show it.

I really wish more people replied to the thread (not whispering I hope :D ). I feel this game has a lot of potential, but dont know how this turns out in play.

My ideas for tweaking it come from a suspect I have that the Trust aspect of the game may be put aside and forgotten during play, the way it is. I even thought about stiffing the PCs opposition, to force the players to rely more on Trust. But this comes from my experience with Moutain Witch really, dont know how this would translate to Cold City.
  • I've run Cold City as both a short campaign and as a one-off convention game and in all situations, players milked the Trust; they totally rely on it to get them the outcomes they really want. Every last die counts and players won't hesitate to bring in Trust, one way or another.

One thing I always do when running CC now is to let players get up to the point in character creation just before distributing Trust, then stop and run a very short scene with all the characters. I start it off in media res by banging the table hard and shouting at them "The basement is on fire! The last of the zombies are burning, but one of them stumbles from the flames towards you! (Pointing at random player) What does everybody do?" Give everyone a chance for one or at most two simple actions: answer questions affirmatively to give them further opportunities ("Yes, there is a fre extinguisher here", "Yes, there are confidential files stored here"). After that scene, when all the players have had a chance to see what their comrades do in a crisis, let them distribute their Trust points. :-)
  • I even thought about stiffing the PCs opposition, to force the players to rely more on Trust. But this comes from my experience with Moutain Witch really, dont know how this would translate to Cold City.

It translates just fine, and works for the same reasons.

One thing I always do when running CC now is to let players get up to the point in character creation just before distributing Trust, then stop and run a very short scene with all the characters.

Fantastic idea. Likewise, in Dogs, I encourage the players to allocate Relationships after Initiation.

Our mystery suggester has now whispered me! Personally, I think he's Don Diego De La Vega, but no one will believe me.