[Diplomacy] SG Game 2

edited January 2010 in Story Games
[cite]Posted By: Marhault[/cite]
Name: SG Brawl
Password: kitkowski

Terms are the same as before. Classic style, 24 hour deadlines (12 for build, 12 for retreat). Random country assignments. No breaks for holidays or weekends. Come prepared to turn in your orders and stick with it!

The game takes place on www.playdiplomacy.com

Still two slots left open.

If you're curious about how the first game went, check out this thread.

Comments

• Already on, but I just wanted to boost the topic.

Come, battle me if you're man enough!
  • Where's Artman? He was all trash talking at the end of the first game...
  • I haven't played in a while, but why not?
  • Woohoo! We've got seven! Go confirm!
  • Excellent. Do keep us posted on your progress!
  • This is my first game!

I will wreak chaos whereever I walk, and sow despair into the hearts of mean.

I'll try not to get annihilated on my first go!
  • Well then welcome Daumantas! There's a bunch of links to strategy articles in the other thread, I recommend checking those out.

Also, should you need help during the game itself, here's my rule of thumb: I will not lie to you about how the rules work; anything else is fair game. Also, I am sometimes wrong.
  • Brian, you're the last to confirm!
  • Posted By: MarhaultAlso, I am sometimes wrong.
    Does that explain your bizarre attempt to move from the north coast of St. Petersburg to the south coast with your fleet? I've been wondering about that...
  • Hah! No, that was an experiment, I knew it was an illegal move but I wanted to see what the server would do with it.

It does explain me trying to move straight from Skageraak to the Baltic Sea as if Denmark didn't exist.
  • Gentlemen. The game is afoot.

* BWA - TURKEY
    * Marhault - RUSSIA
    * Potemkin - ENGLAND
    * bill_white - FRANCE
    * C_Edwards - ITALY
    * WillowX - GERMANY
    * DWeird - AUSTRIA

Whisper me.
  • Sorry for the delay! I was traveling, and I didn't expect to be offline so long.

(It's crazy that being offline for 2-3 days has become so unexpected a thing in my life.)

Also, I got Turkey AGAIN.
  • ...and the playdiplomacy server is down again.

Leaping lizards, that's annoying.

But I think we should stick to the tacit rule that we play the game there and analyze it here.
  • Oh, I wasn't aware that was a rule. Noted. Does the server go down often or for long periods of time?
  • Well, more of a guideline really.

And the server does seem to have recently developed some sort of hiccup; the regulars on the playdip forum are beside themselves with frustration. But it usually comes up within a day or two.
  • Well, things are off to a start and messages are flying like crazy.

Any spectators have predictions as to how the first few years will go?
  • Yeah, I prefer to keep "in game" messages on the game, and "metagame" discussion here. Keeps me clear-headed.

That said, if the server is down (which blows), feel free to whisper me here.

Speaking of which, the server does go down from time to time, and the "move clock" doesn't stop. So once the game gets going, be sure to submit your orders immediately, and then change them as your diplomacy changes. Better to submit slightly off orders than none at all.
  • To echo Brian: Be sure to input preliminary moves when you first have a chance, that'll help you in case the server goes down for an indeterminate time period before the next deadline. It's better to make hasty moves than no moves at all.

No predictions yet, a game could go any which way at this point. My understanding of the experience levels of the players indicates that France might be a strong contender this time around, considering its inherent strength, player and neighbours. Impossible to know, though; making good moves in this game requires no training, and a couple of turns worth of good moves can topple anybody in the early to mid-game.
  • edited January 2010
    Greetings to everyone!

I understand that Eero issued a call of machismo and masculine strength to guide the contestants in the last game. I hope to bring a feminine grace and wit to this manly sport.

Should the participants prefer to continue to display their manliness, the best way would be to murder each other for my attentions, then shower me with gifts (their supply centers). I think this would be the best possible expression of how big of a man you are.
  • Also, I'm not sure if Ralph is still following this thread since it became more about specific games and less about Diplomacy in general, but we're about to some data to suit his earlier contention that Diplomacy only reveals its true potential over multiple games with the same participants, since four of the players in this game were in the last one.
  • Posted By: Eero TuovinenTo echo Brian: Be sure to input preliminary moves when you first have a chance, that'll help you in case the server goes down for an indeterminate time period before the next deadline. It's better to make hasty moves than no moves at all.
    Yeh, in the last game I had two sets of orders in a row go to the shitter cuz i didn't do this. Do this!

I'll be keeping on eye on this game in preparation for a triumphant (maybe) return later in the year!
  • Posted By: Eero TuovinenMy understanding of the experience levels of the players indicates that France might be a strong contender this time around, considering its inherent strength, player and neighbours
    Geez! Talk about a Judas kiss! Eero, let me formally and publicly apologize for being rude to you in my Diplomacy communiques: I'm very sorry. Now will you take this "KICK ME" sign off my back?
  • You are forgiven, Bill. I am sure that you will under-perform admirably this time around, becoming easy prey for your neighbours.
  • Man, everything was going great until I realized other people could be lying.
  • Posted By: DWeirdMan, everything was going great until I realized other people could belying.
    I find cordial well-wishment from nations with whom you've no geographic connections sound all the more sincere.
  • Posted By: DWeirdMan, everything was going great until I realized other people could belying.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahhahahahaha!

Sorry. Damn, that was funny.

Yeah, don't take anything anybody else says at face value.
  • Sorry I couldn't back up my trash with some actual play. ATM, I'd definitely lose because I'd not have time to do orders every day. For instance, I'll be out of town for most of next weekend, with minimal time to check the net--that would have been RIGHT SMACK in the middle of some of the key years of play.
    -----
    Thinking about it... I think that, for DIPLOMACY ONLY, orders every week--including build and retreat--would be about perfect: plenty of time to email or to miss a day or even a weekend; and yet not so slow that the game takes more than a couple of months. For RPGs, I'm finding that even a post a day is WAY too slow (and not enforcable, over months of play) and so I'd probably want a scheduled time to be online, maybe a couple of hours every few days. But Diplomacy turns are, basically, *half a year* apart. It almost suits the "feel" of the game to have ti run at a more sedate pace.

Best of all worlds would be a server/system that supported some kind of "Allow Really Done" toggle, along with orders that can be changed. So I could make prelims, then do some diplomacy and make changes, but when I'm definitely just plain done, I click the "Really Done This Time" button. Once all players click that button, the server would advance the turn, EVEN IF it hasn't been the full week. That would not only allow for sedate play; it would also allow for a flurry of play, when folks are able to communicate and finalize plans faster than the usual pace, for whatever reason (e.g. everyone's online at the same time, killing time at work!).
  • Posted By: David Artman
    Best of all worlds would be a server/system that supported some kind of "Allow Really Done" toggle, along with orders that can be changed. So I could make prelims, then do some diplomacy and make changes, but when I'm definitely just plain done, I click the "Really Done This Time" button. Once all players click that button, the server would advance the turn, EVEN IF it hasn't been the full week. That would not only allow for sedate play; it would also allow for a flurry of play, when folks are able to communicate and finalize plans faster than the usual pace, for whatever reason (e.g. everyone's online at the same time, killing time at work!).
    That's be awful if it were all-but-one. You could all be online but one absentee keeps things at the snail's pace.

David, perhaps an oldschool by-post game would suit you?
  • David,

Dipbounced.com does have that feature. It's not as useful as one would hope. You often have one person, unhappy with their fate, who doesn't use the feature out of spite. Then there is, as Mike says, players that don't use it for more understandable reasons. So far I'm really liking the interface of playdiplomacy.com. I wish the map colors were a little more sedate, but other than that it seems far superior to the dipbounced.com setup.

-Chris
  • Posted By: PotemkinYou could all be online but one absentee keeps things at the snail's pace.
    ... limited, of course, by the order-a-week base or fundamental deadline. The idea is to use this button *in addition* to an order deadline, not in place of it (which is basically what turn-heavy RPG PbP goes like, unless you are willing to skip folks who take too long to reply on their turns). No, I wouldn't try to play it with seven folks and ALL must click "done" to proceed.

I could handle play-by-email/post... but that's just another medium, not a mechanism for short-cutting turn deadlines with a "Really Done" option. But let's not get TOO tangential to the thread's purpose of trash talking, blatant lies, and gloating.
  • Posted By: C. EdwardsYou often have one person, unhappy with their fate, who doesn't use the feature out of spite.
    And yet, no matter how spiteful, that player will have to submit orders (or default to null orders) at whatever deadline is the base: weekly, daily, hourly, whatever. As I said above: it's an expediting *option* not a replacement for the typical order deadlines of non-present, asynchronous play.
  • edited January 2010
    Right, I'm just saying that in practice it doesn't expedite things very much. I doubt I'll miss it at all, actually.
  • Wait. Does the current phase really end 'Jan 14 2010 00:36'?

That's another 24 hours away from the 24 we've just had!

Or has my account taken in the wrong date?
  • Nope; that's right; the first diplomacy phase is twice as long as a normal one.
  • Urh. I was getting all excited. We've all submitted our orders, there should be a 'Go Now' button.
  • There's actually an option, when setting up games, to have moves go through automatically as soon as all the orders are in.

Once you get used to the 24 hour phase (and once the first round is over), it goes pretty quick.
  • Posted By: DWeirdMan, everything was going great until I realized other people could be lying.
    Worse yet, they could be telling you the truth. Eero used that to great effect in the previous game.
  • Yeah, the truth is often the more dangerous alternative in this game. Not nearly so easy to ignore.
  • The difference between the truth and a lie is a matter of perspective. And silence is more unnerving than both.
  • Nonsense. Silence is an out and out refusal of whatever you offered and a clear (if tacit) unwillingness to cooperate. What's unnerving about knowing your enemy?
  • I usually interpret silence either as confident disinterest or laziness. In high-level mindgames I'll also entertain the possibility that the opposition just wants me to think that they're disinterested and/or lazy.
  • Posted By: MarhaultWhat's unnerving about knowing your enemy?
    Assuming you know your enemy.

I cannot think of one strategist who was not brought low by poor estimation at some stage.
    Posted By: Eero TuovinenThe opposition just wants me to think that they're disinterested and/or lazy.
    Precisely.
  • Finally! Spring, 1901!
    Let the kibbitzing commence! Helpful strategy hints for France appreciated! Spurious advice for others publicly deplored (but secretly encouraged)!
  • The Black Sea bounce? The result of mutual lies. Always heart-warming.
  • Posted By: BWAThe Black Sea bounce? The result of mutual lies. Always heart-warming.
    Juggernaut! Juggernaut! Juggernaut!
  • Oh, Austria is playing a bad defence, I see. Nobody told him that the trick to playing the poor Austria is to defend aggressively, as he doesn't have the luxury of just sitting in place. Russia holds all the cards in their relationship now; in fact, should Italy join in, inspired by Austrian passivity, Austria might even lose a home SC right off.

Then again, Italy is messing up admirably, too. Now A Rom is officially useless for the first year, unable to convoy or operate in the north. Clearly there is a surfeit of suspicion floating around in the mid-to-eastern Europe - how can our heroes survive this situation, with experienced players running both Turkey and Russia?

Par-Bur in France warms my black little heart - perhaps it was inspired by what happened in the last game? Not the ideal move tactically for France when Germany didn't try for Burgundy after all. Now France has to play a guessing game for Brest with England, and England has the luxury of choosing between Norway and Belgium for his first build.
  • Whassup with the Vienna and Budapest bounce? Is the Austria-Hungary alliance in jeopardy?!? ;)
  • Budapest was supposed to go to Serbia.

Durr.