How do you pronounce "Archipelago"?

edited September 2009 in Story Games
I've heard a podcast and an AP recording, and it seems USAns pronounce the word differently. Some say "arkiPELago", and others say "arkipeLAgo". (In Norway we use that last one).

Comments

• I've always used option 1.
  • edited September 2009
    Yeah, I heard Emily Care Boss say "arkipeLAgo" on a podcast and I had to snicker. I figured it must be the Scandinavian version, because I have only ever heard "arkuhPELago" in English.
    Or maybe "archuhPELago" on a few occasions.

Do you want people to pronounce it in Norwegian?
  • arkiPELago is what I say although arkipeLAgo has a nice sing-song quality about it.
    Man, did you see, what a farrago
    Out there in the arkipelago
  • Inevitably, every session of Archipelago we've played so far, people bring up it's pronunciation or mispronounce it ironically.

Similarly, when we email about Sorceror sessions, we always misspell Sorcoror in the email subject, because Sorecerer is a hard word to spell. Sorsurer. Sorserer. Soarcerer.
  • 'ArchipElago' with a sweet ch (like 'chess' or 'chuckle'), since apart for the stray 'h' it's just like the Italian word (Arcipelago).
  • Wikipedia says /ɑrkɨˈpɛləɡoʊ/ - which means that the emphasis is on "PEL", right?

Johnstone, ideally the whole game should be played in Norwegian, of course. No, wait... ideally it should be pronounced the way Ursula K. LeGuin would pronounce it.
  • Well, that settles it. I listened to the audiobook of "A Wizard of Earthsea," and she totally said arkiPELago.
  • Archipelago is a Greek word and is pronounced ArchiPELago, in Greek. For what it's worth.
  • Yeah, ark-uh-PEL-a-go for me as well. I can't say it's a word I hear people say out loud that often, but I don't remember hearing anyone say it otherwise (apparently I'm not paying very close attention at our gaming sessions!)
  • Merriam-Webster leans on the "PEL." incidentally, I always try to place the "Ch" somewhere between ch and k, as in "Christian" or "Archangel." A "kh" if you will.

I'm something of a connoisseur of such things.

Peace,
    -Joel
  • Posted By: JoelMerriam-Websterleans on the "PEL." incidentally, I always try to place the "Ch" somewhere between ch and k, as in "Christian" or "Archangel." A "kh" if you will.
    Huh. I would have replied "ark-uh-PEL-a-go", but now that Joel mentions it, when I say the word I do give the "ch" a little slide as well. "Kh". Definitely.
  • Posted By: MatthijsWikipedia says /ɑrkɨˈpɛləɡoʊ/ - which means that the emphasis is on "PEL", right?
    Yeah, the high stress mark goes in front of the stressed syllable in IPA.

If I wanted to get really technical and nitpicky (and I do and I will), the initial syllable should be /ɑɹ/ (or rather /aɹ/ as it is not the /ɑ/ in saw) as the rolled r is pretty rare in English.

What Joel and Jason are saying is they pronounce the /k/ as the initial sound of the second syllable, so it is aspirated, like so: /aɹ.kʰɨ.ˈpɛ.lə.ɡoʊ/ (or /aɹ.kʰɨ.ˈpɛl.ə.ɡoʊ/),
    (as opposed to /aɹk.ɨ.ˈpɛ.lə.ɡoʊ/ or /aɹk.ə.ˈpɛ.lə.ɡoʊ/, which is how I pronounce it).
  • edited September 2009
    /θro:twablr mængro:v/
  • Dammit, Colin beat me to it.
  • Posted By: blankshieldIslands.
    Cute.
  • edited September 2009
    Option 1. English usually stresses the second syllable of multisyllable words.

[EDIT: Sorry, I made an error. Ignore the general rule above.]
  • I have a background in classics, but mild dislexia, so I tend to pronounce it:

arch..nowaIT...ark-E...fuKME..arkePELa... wait is there an R?... FUCKit..acheplefuckago.
  • Posted By: AlanEnglish usually stresses the second syllable of multisyllable words.
    So "ArkUHpelago"?

Personally, I pronounce it "Throat Wobbler Mangrove". Yeah, I went there.
  • Archie Pelargo is a known associate of the Kray Twins.
  • edited September 2009
    Posted By: Simon PetterssonPosted By: AlanEnglish usually stresses the second syllable of multisyllable words.
    So "ArkUHpelago"?

Yeah, I wrote as if I remembered my linguistic training when I didn't.

Stress is minor on "ark" and major on "pel" and the "e" is a reduced schwa. ark e PEL ago.
  • Lhurgoyf. No, Jokulhaups.
  • Arrr chip eel argot

What?