[Amber] Using characters from fiction in other fictions.

edited September 2009 in Story Games
I go to Ambercon NW every year, and one of the fun things about that con is that we all know all of those characters in and out, and there are a lot of games listed as "pick an Amber character and put them into X reality" where X could be just about anything.

John Kim ran 1,001 Nights one night and we played very young Amberites trapped in the castle with a very fickle and cruel Obberon telling stories to pass the time. It was great because we already had all our cues for the roleplaying. It was also a very in-character game, which is something I've taken to all subsequent games of 1,001 Nights and it really flies.

This year I'm running a mashup of Amber and Akira, and a version where the Amberites are staff at a TGIFridays type eatery called Nine Pieces of Flair.

Does anyone else do this with other fictions? Have you done this? Would you be willing to give it a try with say Star Wars characters in the old west for example?

Feel free to expand upon the topic to your heart's content.

Comments

• Someone needs to do Kirk, Bones, and Spock in the old west via Dust Devils.

Paul
  • Gilligan's Islanders as space crew stranded ala Lost In Space.
  • Ogre,

They did that show. It was animated. It was bad. And it was called Gilligan's Planet.

Feel my pain here:

Best
    Nick
  • There are two ways to handle crossover of fictions:

1. Very careful and diligent attention to themes and characters.
    2. Get drunk and throw everything in a blender and giggle and fall off your chair.
  • In my first GMing outing, I mashed up Alien with Disney's Gummi Bears. In Middle Earth.

My players noticed the Alien "tribute" and walked out of the game. The acit blood was the last straw. This distracted them from the fact that vall the NPCs were Gummi Bears characters. :P

Oh, and the castle layout was cribbed from the X-men's mansion.

peace,
    -Joel

Oh, and thanks, Nicolas. That's pain I hadn't relived in 20 years. Just thanks.
  • Giligan's Planet. Oh, man. So bad.
  • edited September 2009
    Posted By: OgremarcoDoes anyone else do this with other fictions? Have you done this? Would you be willing to give it a try with say Star Wars characters in the old west for example?
    Popeye and Olive Oyl in Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies: http://chadu.livejournal.com/722327.html
  • edited September 2009
    Posted By: KropotkinOgre,

They did that show. It was animated. It was bad. And it was called Gilligan's Planet.

Feel my pain here:

Best
    Nick
    And the live-action Far Out Space Nuts, starring Bob Denver (Gilligan) himself! Basically stripped the show down to the Captain and Gilligan, and put them in space.

Youtube link
    Wikipedia link
  • I ran a very short-lived campaign called The Chronicles of H.G. Wells. The conceit was that Wells got all his inspiration from a group of adventuring PCs. The adventures were to follow his publications chronologically, and the PCs would either be some of the character Wells adapted/used, or would meet folks like Cavor, Moreau, and such.
  • Posted By: John PowellFar Out Space Nuts
    OMG Is there a Wookie in that show???
  • John: wicked!
  • Posted By: JoelPosted By: John PowellFar Out Space Nuts
    OMG Is there a Wookie in that show???

Honk - guy in a fuzzy suit with a trumpet bell for a mouth. Have no idea how or what he /she ate.

I watched too much tv as a kid. Still do.
  • I've done wild-west wandering Batman and Alfred using Dogs in the Vineyard.
  • Did you find it easier or harder to make choices because you knew the characters already?
  • For years now I've been carrying around the idea of doing Nine Muppets in Amber.
  • Shit! Me too.
  • I stumbled upon the Nine Princes in Hong Kong site years ago, and it was really inspiring. Its a John Woo style Hong Kong with the Amberites cast as competing members of the Triads. I found it especially amusing that America (and all our attendant action stars) was cast in the role of the Courts of Chaos.

Here's the link to the site: http://noneuclidianstaircase.com/games/9pinhk/9pinhk.html

I suppose, since the key element in Amber is really the characters its really easy to imagine all sorts of variations and settings.

I also posted here a while back about an odd X-Men/Harry Potter game we were running. We took the X-Men and basically used the set-up for the Harry Potter stories as out initial situation.

Seemingly dead Magneto=Voldemort, Xavier=Dumbledore, Wolverine=Sirius Black, Emma Frost=Snape etc.

Here's the thread: http://www.story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=8198&page=1#Item_2