Well, it's post Gen Con. Must be time for some fussin' and fightin' and then the group hug.

edited September 2009 in Story Games
Group hug, kids. Sound off about how we actually like each other and point out something someone is doing that's good.

I'll start. Rob Bohl and Joshua Newman's "Ooo, let's make a game" podcast is entertaining and interesting, and they make me laugh.

Vincent Baker's interviews on Ninjas vs Pirates was outstanding. Those guys were just far enough outside this community to ask some really interesting questions.

My awesome wife sat down last sunday morning and wrote a game about using fame to get out of the ghetto during the 20's that looks to be fun when we playtest it.

I'm totally excited to play Fiasco very soon. Please let it be very soon, Jason Morningstar, please.

I just finished reading Marshall Burn's "The Rustbelt" and am excited to try to convince my every other saturday group to give it a go.

Comments

• Brennan Reece et al are working on a great entry portal for story gaming. Coupled with an (eventual) pamphlet, it will make con demo pitches a LOT easier, and give a great takeaway that should promote the best in breed.
  • I just bought Ganakagok (At the FLGS, to boot!) and I'm totally stoked about this game. I'd just vaguely heard about it and it sounded interesting, but so far it totally exceeds my expectations.

M
  • Also, I had such a good time running John Harper's Lady Blackbird and Luke Crane's Mouse Guard at PAX. One player had never played anything before, and was pumped to start a group by the end of the weekend.
  • Mike (veritascitor) is kicking serious ass in the games we play. We've got a crew together that's extremely solid, we play things for about 3 sessions and then move onto the next thing. We didn't start out to emulate the Durham 3, but it happened and it turns out to be awesome.

Also, I'm really glad the Durham 3 is back, and SUPER happy they're playing Mouse Guard because that's somewhere on our docket too.

I've been quiet around these parts because I really am gaming a whole lot.
  • Thanks, Ogre!

I'm excitedly watching Jonathan Walton's progress on Geiger Counter from a publishing perspective. I'm wondering where he's going to go with it as a product.

• I'm excited about Ryan's Mythender. Also waiting for Acts of Evil and Dresden Files.
    Exciting times!
  • Thanks, Joshua!

A couple weeks back I saw some samples of John Harper's layout for the Danger Patrol beta and holy crap but that cat is doing some interesting stuff with numbered sections and really milking the step-by-step pick-up-and-play-like-it's-a-board-game aspects, which are near and dear to my own heart. What a great approach to writing, teaching, and doing layout for roleplaying games! No idea when it'll be released, but I really think one of the main reasons John's recent games have gotten so much attention is how accessible the documents are and how easy it is to turn the text into play. I'm excited and hopeful that we'll see a new focus on the transmission and teaching of games emerge in this community, because, in general, I don't think that's something we've historically been that good at.

Also, Game Chef 2009 is moving along apace and some great games have already been submitted. Additionally, I think the conversations surrounding changes to Game Chef and where the tradition is going (or what it is in the first place) are also going really well, despite being difficult and thorny. There seems to be a lack of blame and more of a dedication to serious, personal discussion, which I really appreciate.
  • Lady Blackbird has swept in and saved my group's evening twice now as a fill-in game. And it is so fun & so engaging that I'm ready for it to stop being the fill-in game and actually become the main game.

Also, Rich Rogers is quite simply an incredible guy to have as a GM and as a co-player. I highly recommend playing with him if you're in a position to do so. Just don't steal him away from me in the process, please!
  • As soon as I get some spare cash, it's Mouseguard, Mouseguard, Mouseguard. Every time I pick it up in the store I read another few pages and sigh about it. It's all we can talk about on Pulp Gamer's Out of Character it feels like sometimes. I just gotta get the dough.
  • Posted By: JDCorleyAs soon as I get some spare cash, it's Mouseguard, Mouseguard, Mouseguard. Every time I pick it up in the store I read another few pages and sigh about it. It's all we can talk about on Pulp Gamer's Out of Character it feels like sometimes. I just gotta get the dough.
    Do it. It's awesome. And very, very pretty.
  • As a neophyte designer, I have been loving the shit out of Game Chef. I really like what Jonathan has done with it, and am super excited to actually finish a project.

I also really, really can't wait to see Empire of Dust available at IPR. I've been checking daily.
  • I did a a bunch of photography that Ben Lehman is now writing a game around. The title of the game is Summer is Dead and it's so hot that I burned myself just reading the introduction.
  • My girlfriend wrote a game. It's largely a theatre exercise, but is still really cool to see her engaging story games on an other-than-play level.

Joel Shempert is getting paid to run story games for a group of non-gamers (specifically, a group of rewilding enthusiasts, I think). As I reflect more on the nature of story games and the way I want to engage their community, I envision a market that's more focused on skill-building and outreach than an internally-fuelled thing (experts selling to initiates rather than experts selling to gamers, one could say?). Joel's doing something that I can point to and say, "that! that's what I want to see more of!"

PAX had gaming and several of my friends went and had fun.
    While I didn't go (terrible timing! one day before a big poetry competition, two days before school started and I got money), I'm pumped that others had a good time.

There's a new gaming coordinator for Vancouver's VCON(Oct 2-4) and I'm really excited about her enthusiasm. I'm going to go run games and panels, should be really fun.

Also, I'm excited about the upcoming Steamcon (Oct 23-25) in Seattle.
  • Posted By: Charlie GilbAs a neophyte designer, I have been loving the shit out of Game Chef. I really like what Jonathan has done with it, and am super excited to actuallyfinisha project.
    Ditto, son. I'm very excited about going to a Go Play PDX meetup tomorrow to play Penny.
  • I'm feeling the hug, guys. Keep it coming.
  • Posted By: ElizabethI did aa bunch of photographythat Ben Lehman is now writing a game around.
    "Candid Photography, eh? Knowhatimean? Eh? Eh?"

Obligatory Monthy Python ref out of the way.

Nice composition in those, I especially like the fortune teller shot. Tell us more, is possible.

Ogre, did you make it out of PAX without the PAXPox? I was so impressed by the fact that Con sold out in prereg that it never even occurred to me that it was flu-season, or them, it seems...
  • edited September 2009
    Ben: if you see this, don't read it.

So, Ben had told me on a couple occasions that, some day, he was going to commission me to do some photography for a game; that he wouldn't give me any art direction at all, total free reign, and then he'd write a game that went with it. I decided to do these pictures as a present. I put the spoiler for Ben there because he didn't want to know my inspirations, etc.

All of the pictures are inspired by the poem "The Waste Land," by T.S. Eliot. My initial thought was, "Man, Ben's going to know a couple people I get to model, I'm sure. That'll be weird." But as I fleshed out the concept more, I decided that I wanted to use people Ben knew exclusively. Coincidentally, they are all romantically involved with indie game designers (and two of them have designed games, as well). The models are Meg Baker, Joshua AC Newman's wife Carrie, and myself. There's a final image that I need Ben to model for, but I won't be able to take it until I get a chance to visit all of my lovely friends in Seattle.

Carrie's picture:
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.
    Meg's picture:
    Madame Sosostris, famous clairvoyante,
    Had a bad cold, nevertheless
    Is known to be the wisest woman in Europe,
    With a wicked pack of cards.
    And mine, which should be sort of obvious:
    Fear death by water.

I'm pretty jazzed that he picked up on the themes of the images without knowing their literal interpretation. The final picture is going to be of Ben, scattering ashes, for the quintessential "I will show you fear in a handful of dust." I wasn't going for a direct and literal translation of the meaning of the poem into photography, but just trying to pick up some of the vivid imagery present there and twist it into some kind of weird, modern creepiness that immediately evoked something that blurs the lines between fantasy and reality in that way that Ben really likes. You can ask him about the game itself in another thread, because I'm not sure what he's ready to share, but the flavor and definitely the structure and form factor are really exciting to me. It's funny that I did the photos as a present and now I can't wait to get my hands on the game itself.

Edited to add: Carrie and Meg are the best models. With Carrie, I asked her to hop in the shower while wearing a fancy dress so she could be soaking wet, and then she trudged through her neighborhood like a champ, holding a pile of snapdragons bigger than she was and looking forlorn. Meg was willing to put on eleventy-billion layers of belly-dancing clothes and pose under monolights in an already hot attic, since I'd forgotten the cord for my strobes.
  • I avoided the paxpox by judicious use of handwashing and sanizer.
  • Posted By: MickBradleyLady Blackbirdhas swept in and saved my group's evening twice now as a fill-in game. And it is so fun & so engaging that I'm ready for it to stop being the fill-in game and actually become the main game.
    Word on that. Lady B is a sweet, sweet game. I saw John Harper on Facebook and chatted at him in a very fanboyish way after that game. I couldn't help myself. (In case that freaks you designers of games I love out, I just said, "Thanks for Lady Blackbird, I love playing this game" nothing creepy or time consuming)

Also... thanks for the props, Mick. Here's one back atcha.

Mick Bradley is playing Naomi Bishop like his life depended on it. He plays her hard, cruel and hopeless and he has shocked me at least once per game session with how he plays her. I like being shocked at a game table.

Lastly, I might get to play the Shadow of Yesterday tomorrow night if I'm lucky and have babysitting. This will be my second session of it and I am really super pumped to play my motor-mouthed goblin again. Woot.
  • Posted By: ElizabethMeg was willing to put on eleventy-billion layers of belly-dancing clothes and pose under monolights in an already hot attic, since I'd forgotten the cord for my strobes.
    How did you get the cat to stay there? =:-I

(and who is the cat?)
  • Posted By: David ArtmanBrennan Reece et al are working on a great entry portal for story gaming. Coupled with an (eventual) pamphlet, it will make con demo pitches a LOT easier, and give a great takeaway that should promote the best in breed.
    I'm with this especially, right now. Brennan is making with the cool.
  • Posted By: joepubJoel Shempert is getting paid to run story games for a group of non-gamers (specifically, a group of rewilding enthusiasts, I think)."
    Is this being documented anywhere, Joe? As I know and mix with a fair few rewilding/uncivilisation types, I'd be interested to see how Joel is approaching this.
  • Perhaps Joel will talk about it on his blog.