Mini survey

edited September 2009 in Story Games
I'd like to run a little survey on a "large" scale (I'll crosspost on several forums). Please answer both questions:
First/third person
Shared narration rules

To be honest I'm looking for some correlation between both questions which may or may not exist.

Comments

• If you're interested in feed back on the poll. At the very least I'd say the first one needs a "switches freely between third and first person, often without even noticing" option. Cuz otherwise, I at least, won't be able to answer you.
  • I also usually RP on chats, where it's "[Name] swings his sword...", I think I use third person in offline RP as well, but probably because I've grown used to online chatting...
  • More feedback. That first question is so tied to which game I'm playing, I'm not really comfortable answering it in a broad sense. When I play PTA I tend to use third person more. Traditional stuff, first person.
  • Weird, I wrote my comment after Colin's, but it appears before O.o
  • Posted By: ValamirAt the very least I'd say the first one needs a "switches freely between third and first person, often without even noticing" option. Cuz otherwise, I at least, won't be able to answer you.
    Incidentally, this is how I play as well.

-Andy
  • edited September 2009
    Posted By: AndyPosted By: ValamirAt the very least I'd say the first one needs a "switches freely between third and first person, often without even noticing" option. Cuz otherwise, I at least, won't be able to answer you.
    Incidentally, this is how I play as well.

-Andy

Me, too.
  • I start in one randomly and then self-consciously correct myself to the other for no real reason.
  • Simon Rogers uses this option - "switches freely between third and first person, often without even noticing". He notes that talking the third person on a forum is a little peculiar, and reminds him of writing the mini-bios one has to do for websites and articles.
  • I see your point guys: I should have chosen my choice of answers a little better. I thought that "mostly 1st person" and "mostly 2rd person" implied this "unconscious switch". I guess "I'm not sure which one I use the most" would have been a valid option.

The biggest flow in my survey - I realized after starting it - is that the questions are answered separately. I don't know of a free poll websites where you could correlate separate answers as in: how many people who chose answer A for question 1 also answered X for question 2...

Dang
  • Posted By: bouletI don't know of a free poll websites where you could correlate separate answers as in: how many people who chose answer A for question 1 also answered X for question 2...
    Couldn't you just put all the questions on the same poll/survey? Then your responses could be put in a database, upon which you could run any query you like.
  • Well if I was willing to develop my own poll web interface I wouldn't be stuck with free poll websites :)
  • edited September 2009
    I'm confused--you mean to say there's no survey sites which give you the results in a table format (comma/tab-separated text, Excel sheet, whatever)? If not, then, yeah... that sucks. 'Cause once you had that, you could drop it into Access (or whatever Open Office calls it) and run queries to your heart's delight.

So these polls just do a count of responses, with NO actual record of which surveyor gave which responses? Weird... how... useless. I mean, except for simple polling ("Whach'y'all think?"). Heck, you can't even do a demographic analysis of respondents, if they can't provide data about themselves that is correlated to all their other responses.

Oh, well. Maybe search more, or take a bit of time to learn OO/Access and host it on a proper web site. Sorry....
  • I didn't find a free poll website where there's an option to lump together several questions together which is the prerequisite to observe correlations. Micropoll is offering a cute little report for one poll, with even a USA map that shows repartition of answers by states. But it's not what I was after.
  • Have you looked into Zoomerang?

My company used to use them for surveys related to SixSigma stuff...so if the data output was robust enough for that it would be good for you. Not sure if the more advanced stuff was free or by subscription only.
  • Zoomerang is not bad but I can't access the raw data with a free account... Oh well
  • If your polling system allows for nine or so different choices, you can just crunch your two questions into one. Just make the options "A and B", "not-A and B", "A and not-B" and so on. Nine different options gives you three for each of your questions, for example. 16 would allow four each.
  • Same poll, more options and an extra question. Sorry I couldn't get it right the first time (I should be able to cross-tabulate with surveymonkey)
  • Litlle bump. Please take the survey in previous post.
  • Franck,
    When you have a sufficient sample, can you share the results please?
    Dave M
  • My intention exactly! Though it doesn't seem like I'm going to reach a decent sample size (at least 100 c'mon) any time soon...

I'm going to post on penandpapergames.... that should bring some samples...
  • OK it's been a week now. Only 46 entries... that's not a big sample. Sigh. Oh well.

Datas are here. There are raw data and tendencies I tried to extract by simplifying categories (negative vs positive). I didn't spot much of a statistical surprise. People who absolutely dislike shared narrative control seem to be 1st person speech only, but considering the small number of entries involved it would be petty to draw conclusions...