[Hoard, 2nd Ed] An overhaul/release thing. Input wanted.

Consider this chain of events:

1. Levi releases an Aerial Wargame of Dragons, two or more players, about an hour to play, build your own dragon in ten minutes or less. Free, as a PDF.

(Would you look at them? If you found them interesting, would you actually get around to playing them? If good, would you share them?)

2. Levi releases the Campaign Rules for the aerial wargame - which turn the game into an island-running game which generates combat encounters. Two or more players, one of which must act as the "adversary" player, though this position can rotate.

(If you hadn't been interested in the wargame, would the combination make you more interested? If you liked the wargame, would you want to give this a look-see as well?)

3. Levi releases the Roleplaying rules for the whole package - which, notably, would strap right into the Campaign machine, so that the island-running creaats roleplaying encounters as well, and those encounters feed back into the whole thing too.

(How does that last step hit you?)

I'm thinking about going this way. I'm thinking about it pretty seriously.

Comments

• I can think of no valid reason not to try it.

Would the earlier steps remain available after the later steps are released?

If I encounter your RPG and am uncertain will the dragon wargame rules still be available for free? If so, will they still be applicable i.e. the RPG ties solidly enough into the dragon wargame that I won't feel bait and switched?
  • Watching this unfold, I'd be like, "Sucks that this potentially interesting third product is saddled with dependencies on two things I don't care about or want."

• Posted By: ValamirI can think of no valid reason not to try it.

Would the earlier steps remain available after the later steps are released? If I encounter your RPG and am uncertain will the dragon wargame rules still be available for free?
    Absolutely.

Otherwise, how could someone that's followed along from the start tell their friends to join in?

(For that matter, it's pretty likely that there would be a "solo flight" scenario for the wargame, so you could muck about with the rules entirely by yourself.)
    Posted By: Valamir If so, will they still be applicable i.e. the RPG ties solidly enough into the dragon wargame that I won't feel bait and switched?
    Yes. Though, I'll note:

If you play the wargame and then tried to grab 1st Edition, you'd be totally lost. The gulf between them, if I go this way, will be fairly severe, and for exactly this reason - so the roleplaying elements follow directly from the wargame ones.
  • Posted By: HohoWatching this unfold, I'd be like, "Sucks that this potentially interesting third product is saddled with dependencies on two things I don't care about or want."
    Fair. I figured there'd be some foks with that view.

(To be honest: If I hadn't received at least one response like that, I'd wonder if people had understood the question.)
  • edited August 2009
    If you play the wargame and then tried to grab 1st Edition, you'd be totally lost. The gulf between them, if I go this way, will be fairly severe, and for exactly this reason - so the roleplaying elements follow directly from the wargame ones.

Clarify please...I'm having trouble following why if "roleplaying elements follow directly from the wargame one" that "the gulf between them will be fairly severe".

If they follow directly...wouldn't the gulf be small and easily bridged?
  • Er. The other gulf.

I meant that the gulf between the already-existing first edition (which is not attached to such elements) and the second edition (which will be, if I go this way).
  • edited August 2009
    Ahhh, thanks. It didn't register from your title tag that you were comparing an earlier edition to a new edition.
  • I kind of agree with Shreyas... I'd mostly be tapping my foot, waiting for step 3.

That said, the model worked well enough for D&D, so... who knows?
  • Levi, everyone:

What role does fiction play in this development? I mean, it took years for any 40K RPG to finally get made, and I can't help but think that fiction in the minis game rulebooks had a lot to do with it finally happening, in a way that just mechnics could never do alone.
  • *Headscratch*

Dunno. There'd be a few small blocks of fiction here and there in such a wargame (which would be a short little booklet to start with), but that's about it.