[Dust Devils] AP (2 sessions) and a review

edited August 2009 in Actual Play
Since I was running Dust Devils and starting a blog on Western RPGs I decided to blog my experience.
I've covered from Prep to Actual play and finished with a review.

Dust Devils AP (Prep: Brainstorming)
Dust Devils AP (Prep - Supporting Characters)
Dust Devils AP (1st session)
Dust Devils AP (2nd session)
Dust Devils Revenged; A review

Comments

• Thanks for sharing these, Ryan! I enjoyed the Supporting Characters post especially.
  • This is sweet. I love seeing the steps you took to prep. Blood Meridian is an endlessly full well for Dust Devils inspiration!
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarThis is sweet. I love seeing the steps you took to prep.Blood Meridianis an endlessly full well for Dust Devils inspiration!
    It is indeed. Is it any surprise that Cormac Mccarthy is my favorite author? No. No it is not.
  • Thanks for the kind words. Dust Devils has produced some of the meatiest characters for the least amount of work I've ever made. Every one of the supporting characters is one I'd love to play.

On McCarthy, I started with No Country for Old Men after seeing the movie, then read The Road, and then Blood Meridian. Blood Meridian has become my favorite book in a long long time.
  • One more thing, since we brought McCarthy into this.

This. Album. Is. Fucking. Awesome.
    The Last Pale Light in the West
    Based on Blood Meridian
  • AWESOME! I'm getting that album today.
  • Matt,

I think you need to work up some free McCarthy inspired Dust Devils scenarios, like you did with the different settings in the back of Revenged. Give me the Road so I can relive that horrible love/hate relationship I had while reading it...
  • Holy shit, The Road. I'm a dad, and it nearly fucking killed me reading it.

Because we're carrying the fire.

Okay.
  • I so don't want to play The Road: The RPG. After reading it I played around with a game that evoked those feelings and realized it wasn't a place I really wanted to spend more time.
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarI so don't want to play The Road: The RPG. After reading it I played around with a game that evoked those feelings and realized it wasn't a place I really wanted to spend more time.
    You realize that my goal is to break Matt right?
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarI so don't want to play The Road: The RPG. After reading it I played around with a game that evoked those feelings and realized it wasn't a place I really wanted to spend more time.
    Oh shit, you and me both.

The Road made me realize that my weird abiding love for postapocalyptic fiction has limits.

p.

• Oh shit, you and me both.

The Road made me realize that my weird abiding love for postapocalyptic fiction has limits.

p.
    I am convinced that the Road is not post-apocalyptic fiction at all. That just happens to be the time and place it occurs in. The trappings are all dross. The story is all about father/child relationships, using an extreme set of circumstances to illustrate. I know that when I finished it I sat in my daughters room for a long time while she slept dealing with all the crap that brilliant, brilliant man dredged out.
  • Posted By: Ken Sentowski!The story is all about father/child relationships, using an extreme set of circumstances to illustrate. I know that when I finished it I sat in my daughters room for a long time while she slept dealing with all the crap that brilliant, brilliant man dredged out.
    Agreed. I told my son out loud that we're good guys when I tucked him in. He looked at me funny.

But, yeah, you're right. It's an illustration in contrasts. "Okay, are you still an able a father now? How about now? Holy christ, a baby? Really? How about now?"

A few years ago, I was sitting around with Jared Sorensen trying to figure out how to make Rust Devils, the post-apocalypse Dust Devils. Jared pointed out that the problem with characters wasn't them becoming Devils. It was them keeping Human. In other words, the "Devil" trait that got in your way was you trying to be a moral person.

I never could make it work right for my tastes, but these posts about The Road makes me realize he was totally right. The man in the book tries to guide his son with some sense of decency (and the son returns the favor a few times), but he falters a couple steps along the way. That's his inverted Devil, somehow.
  • Hmmm, I think Jared is right, but I don't think it is just in the post-apocalypse. I think it is an element in pretty much every genre of fiction (and in turn lots of games). It is more often than not about keeping human in the face of adversity. The best fiction illustrates it, and the weakest fiction ignores it.

So Unforgiven is a big influence on Dust Devils right? Isn't a big part of that Clint Eastwood's character? He is trying to keep human in the face of his past and present...
  • Yeah, that's fair enough. The reason I couldn't make it work right is that it already works that way! The Devil mechanic gives or takes away cards based on the situation (and the GM's call on it). So, it's basically just a name change, and one that didn't feel right.
  • Ryan - Thanks for the album recommendation.
  • Posted By: Jason NewquistRyan - Thanks for the album recommendation.
    You're welcome. One of my favorite things is to recommend music.

After we played I asked my guys if they could see using DD to play other genres and they weren't sure. I think the poker resolution method was simply too tied to it.

Now a hack replacing poker with some other card mechanic or a dice mechanic..maybe dicing for sets a la ORE or Weapons of the Gods. With number of matching dice winning the conflict and the face of the sets winning narration. Card adding mechanics could add add'l dice.
  • Ryan, I think I can return the favor on music recommenation. This is practically the Dust Devils soundtrack. I listened to it when I wrote the Revenged edition. It's instrumental, and very atmospheric.

I HIGHLY recommend this:

Hex: Or Printing in the Infernal Method
  • Cool. Thanks.
    I have The Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull and between that and several Sunn 0))) albums my guitar drone quota is full, so I didn't give much listen to any other Earth stuff.
    Just spent my last few eMusic credits for the month on this.
  • Posted By: Ken Sentowski!Hmmm, I think Jared is right.

I will never get tired of reading this.