Are there even Single Player RPGs?

edited August 2009 in Story Games
I mean... I know there's The Smoke Dream... but, as I see that it'll be hard to get a copy delivered to Mexico, I am now on a search for a good Single Player RPG.

Now... you may wonder why would I ever want to play single player RPG... well, the thing is: I rearely get to put a group together for RPG purposes... let alone them being open to playing indie story games...

So I ask you, guys... do you know of any? Please Help T-T

Comments

• edited August 2009
    One of those Dungeon games, I think.

And heck, Sweet Agatha by Kevin Allen Jr. is a game you can play solo.
    Note, you cut the book as you play, AFAIK.
  • What dungeon games?

And just read about Sweet Agatha... Pure Awesomeness, thanks for the tip!
  • I will assume a two-person game, either GM+player, or player+player and No GM.

Kazekami Kyoko Kills Kublai Khan (http://thou-and-one.blogspot.com/2006/01/kazekami-kyoko-kills-kublai-khan.html)
    Breaking The Ice (http://www.blackgreengames.com/bti.html#aboutgame)
    Beast Hunters (http://www.berengad.com/main/)
    Sweet Agatha (http://www.sweetagatha.com/)
    Showdown (http://www.story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=8389)

Those game were designed for two-person play. Of course, a bunch of game designed for group roleplaying work very well solo.
  • I bet Hikikomori is still out there, but it's incredibly depressing.
  • Posted By: Ryan StoughtonI betHikikomoriis still out there, but it's incredibly depressing.
    Seeing the thread title I was just about to post about how I did that as a 24-hour RPG that's kind of meant to be blogged as you play. It's here if you're interested. I haven't actually tried it myself, but it is kind of depressing, I'll admit.
  • @Jumanji83 I actualy meant for just one player... as in... one player one story games (Which I didn't even think was posible, but I have just seen it actually is quite possible)

@Ryan Stoughton o_O Depressing game? where do I sign up!
  • @Neko Ewen Thank you very much!
  • It's possible?

You mean, beyond Choose Your Own Adventure books?!?

I'm intrigued (and a little skeptical).

Sweet Agatha is for two persons though... At least that's what it says at the back of the enveloppe.
  • edited August 2009
    How To Host a Dungeon?

EDIT: Initial response snarkier-sounding than I wanted
  • @Jumanji83 It is, it took a guy years and lots of lateral thingking. but someone finally seems to have done it!

There is the hikikomori game above too.

both seem great. I am all the more intrigues by The Smoke Dream, though [link]
  • @wundergeek

Sorry, I'm lost here o_o
  • Tony Dowler's How to Host a Dungeon is totally a solo game. I'm too tired to link right now.
  • @wundergeek

Ok now I get you >.<

@akooser

Tanks for the links
  • Can Classic Traveller be played solo? I did not know that. Any hints for doing so?
  • There's this thing called the Mythic GM Emulator. I own it but have never used it.

I understand the problem of not having a group (although I'm swimming in players now). Why don't you try playing online? There are some really great Virtual Tabletop apps out there, and some of them are even free. Some folks use them with Ventrilo or Skype, while others play text only.

If you don't have a good connection, you can always participate in a play-by-post game.
  • edited August 2009
    Alone Against the Windigo and On the Trail of the Loathsome Slime are two solo adventures for Call of Cthulhu and there are three for RQ2 including The Snow King's Bride.

Maelstrom (by Penguin) has a soloquest too and we've got this gem.
  • @Neko Ewen

Your game is freaking great! I've just posted an Actual Play thingy on this [link]. please go see it and tell me what you think n_n!

It took me about 4 hours to have a complete session, but it was totally worth it!
  • Hmmm... Hikikomori - Checked...

Now what should I play now?
  • They've already been mentioned, but the best three are Sweet Agatha (which I believe can be played solo, as the menu entry says "1-2 players"), The Smoke Dream and How To Host A Dungeon.

Also, you can play "Everyone Is A Dealer".
    How to play:
    Sit in a public place, choose a random person.
    Pretend they are a drug dealer.
    Think about how their actions are clearly the actions of a drug dealer.
    If they talk to someone, imagine the drug deal going on.
    Avoid eye contact with them, because drug dealers are dangerous.
    When this gets boring, choose a new random person.
    Now, THEY are the drug dealer!

It gets fun when you pick a random punk kid, or a stern old gramma.
    It gets less fun when your choice person actually is a drug dealer and you watch them deal drugs.
    Then it just gets weird and spooky.
  • edited August 2009
    Lonewolf gamebooks (Joe Dever and Gary Chalk). A complete dark fantasy solo campaign in more than 20 books. I think they have translated it to Spanish too!

The best gamebooks ever: http://www.projectaon.org/
  • Posted By: joepubAlso, you can play "Everyone Is A Dealer".
    LOL. That's great!

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • edited August 2009
    I'm in the same boat, Omar. No group.
    Posted By: Brennen ReeceThere's this thing called the Mythic GM Emulator. I own it but have never used it.
    I use a homebrew system based on the GM Emulator, it works surprisingly well. The cool thing is that you can use it to turn practically ANY game into a solo game. Lately I've been using it to play IAWA on my own. I think I'd end up doing that quite a bit even if I had a group because, hey, sometimes you feel like playing, but it's 2am on a Tuesday.
    Posted By: Brennen ReeceI understand the problem of not having a group (although I'm swimming in players now). Why don't you try playing online? There are some really great Virtual Tabletop apps out there, and some of them are even free. Some folks use them with Ventrilo or Skype, while others play text only.
    I'd love to give this a try, but I haven't had much luck finding an online group interested in playing indie/storygames. Any suggestions?
  • Yeah! what @Teplin said!
  • edited August 2009
    For solo games, you can take a look at both Cronautas and ¡Es una ganga!, both games designed for the spanish speaking contest Rolero de Acero 2009.

You can download both of them in here.

The sweetest part is you can easily reach their authors at the Salgan al Sol forums.

Disclaimer: Both games are in spanish, but since the OP is Mexican...
  • Posted By: TeplinI'd love to give this a try, but I haven't had much luck finding an online group interested in playing indie/storygames. Any suggestions?
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm going to start a new thread.
  • @Tristan

Thanks a lot, I'm gonna look into those... and I didn't know about the forum... or maybe I did but forgot about it o_o...
  • A friend and i played "Everyone is a Dealer" yesterday, on the way to buy some batteries.

Most unassuming: Old Lady On Second Floor Balcony With Tiny Dog.
    Most upsetting: One Of Two Eight Year Old Girls With Pink Backpacks.

how did those kids fall into such a lifestyle? it's such a shame.
  • @ jackson tegu I tried to play it downtown the other day but I was a little too upset about something to actually manage, gotta try it again later.
  • Taking off from "Everyone is a dealer": Most people think of De Profundis as just being that game where you write Lovecraft letters. But actually, there are three games in that book. In addition to "Letters From the Abyss", there's an unruly freeform thing, and something called "Field Psychodrama." Instead of imagining that everyone you see is a dealer, try building a Lovecraftian scene from each tableau you encounter. A man walks into an old apartment building, and you don't see his face... the building is older than its facade, as the man's face would have revealed if you could have seen it, squamous and cold-eyed.
  • Posted By: Omar_RamirezThanks a lot, I'm gonna look into those... and I didn't know about the forum... or maybe I did but forgot about it o_o...
    You did. I told you about it before. ;)
  • @Tristan

I knew it! >.< I lost the link to it.

thanks again.
  • I stumbled across this recently, and it looks like it has some good tools, ideas, and advice:

https://exposit.github.io/katarpgs/pdf/TheCalypsoCompendium.pdf

It's a single-player RPG that gets quite in depth about specifics and is inspired by Apocalypse World.
  • Ironsworn is designed specifically with solo play in mind, but also has rules for two or more players, either with or without a GM. It uses oracle tables to facilitate play, but unlike something like the Mythic GM emulator system, offers more guidance to the player on when and how to use the tables to make play feel more narratively interesting. Best part is, it's free!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/238369/Ironsworn?src=IronswornWeb